Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 19th September

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/09/19/the-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-19th-september/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (112)

• Kumar says:

@Steve .BA has reward availability for outbound 24/10 and the inbound on 1st Nov.TK have reward seats on their website .I cant see the same on other star alliance partners

• DK says:

Recently upgraded from Ba Blue to BAPP. Today noticed that a small refund triggered 1.5 avios per pound deduction though the original purchase was on BA Blue so 1 avios per pound. Has anyone challenged that?

• TGLoyalty says:

The card is now a BAPP so all transactions will act as if they were made with it.

Same when you downgrade. Refunds come through at the lower rate.

You can phone as ask for the difference back if it’s worth the hassle.

• DK says:

I understand the mechanics but question was about successful challenge. Not bothered for small transactions.
        But BA just cancelled 3 business returns to the States. This will end up costing a lot

• Andrew says:

And remember that BAPP gives you double Avios on BA transactions so it’s 3 Avios per £1 rather than the 1 Avios per £1 you got on blue card.

• Doug M says:

Similar. Bought an Alaska flight on a Gold card in US$ and got only 2 MR/£ not 3 (1 +1 for airline +1 for currency). Questioned it and was told it was correct. Flight then cancelled and they deducted 3 MR/£. Spent ages on the phone and they said they were correct, I persisted, asked them to explain, asked for supervisor, and eventually they added back the additional MR as ‘goodwill’. Feeling extremely petty I pointed out for the recording that I didn’t accept it was goodwill and they were being incredibly dense in not seeing the obvious discrepancy between the two rates.

• TGLoyalty says:

Was this a convo with Brighton. Sometimes it’s just easier to say put me through to Brighton.

• Diydegsy says:

Anyone know if the lounge at Faro airport is open?

• John W says:

New Year destinations ! – I have not spent a new year in the UK for the last 8 years . Travels have been as far as Austraila , Far East , India and Sri Lanka / Japan / Philippines. Most travel has been Great in Premium on Qatar Airways
    Question is , what do I book for this year ? Where is a safe bet that I will still be able to go ? !!!!

• Andrew says:

And if you still want a premium experience then QR is your best option – very little change to inflight service and amenities (take note BA – meals on plates not cardboard boxes!) and business class passengers don’t have to wear masks.

• James says:

Yes, their mask policy is great. The virus doesn’t spread in business class cabins.

• Gavin says:

I would book something relatively last-minute given the constantly changing rules at the moment

• Paul says:

Blackpool! 😂

• KD says:

I booked two rooms with hotels.com unfortunately the Fridays were cheap and the Saturday expensive. Hotels kept showing only 2 reward credits only (Fridays). However when I redeemed a reward credit as part of the booking it showed 3 credit to be earned. Seems odd it wasn’t 4 but only 3 after I was redeeming a night as well? Anybody know why?

• Blenz101 says:

Your question is really unclear. The hotels.com scheme is not.

If you redeem a free night or use something like a Tesco voucher as part of the booking you do not earn reward credits on the booking. Maybe that is reducing the nights?

Pretty normal in some markets for weekend prices to vary considerably.

• KD says:

By redeeming my free night credit it was giving me 3 nights credit for my 2 rooms 2 nights. By not redeeming by free night credit it was giving me just 2 night credit for my stay. Seemed odd.

• TGLoyalty says:

Very odd. Perhaps just IT gremlins.

You should receive 3 nights for 2 rooms x 2 nights when you’ve used a free night and 4 nights if you haven’t.

• Kevin says:

Hello.
    I earned my BA companion yesterday. 5 months to go till renewal. Is my best bet downgrade and push my spend through another card. Is it worth the hasel of downgrading and upgrading again? Do they need to send you a new card as well?

• Rob says:

You’d save £100 by downgrading. Not sure how long you work to earn £100 net but probably more than the 10 mins required to apply online for the free BA card.

• makrxx says:

In the same situation. But will probably cancel the BAPP and push my spending on the HSBC Premier WEMC

• Lee says:

Rob, I thought you can’t downgrade online anymore. But I would say 20 mins call to save £100 still worth.

• Blenz101 says:

You just apply for the blue card in the normal way. The first part of the application is to enter any existing Amex cards you hold.

They then issue the new card, you can continue to use the old card meanwhile.

• Grimz says:

I am away to downgrade to BA blue from BAPP and I have 5 supplementary cards. Do these get cancelled when I make my application for BA blue? The reason I am not cancelling is I want the cards for shop small at Christmas.

• Blenz101 says:

No, they will all be reissued when you switch. Just double check that there is no charge for them. I always thought first supp was free. 5 seems like a lot!

• makrxx says:

Previously there was an article for Istanbul at 290 pounds in J return on BA. Looking at December and it’s only 190 pounds! Worth a go surely, 160 TP as well… Can get it refunded if it comes down to it…

• Andrew says:

Shop Small unlikely to happen this December as we’ll be in full lockdown again by then.

• Blenz101 says:

Or they will have gotten real by then and be issuing the trial vaccine to vulnerable populations on an emergency basis to protect the NHS.

Far greater chance of that happening that a prolonged trashing of the economy with blanket lockdowns.

We aren’t where we were back in March. The original lockdown bought the time needed to develop effective treatments and learn about transmission.

• Nick_C says:

Wouldn’t hold my breath on the vaccine. I had booked for a ‘flu vaccination for this week. The pharmacy phoned me on Monday to cancel, and say they can’t get supplies until 10 October.

• TGLoyalty says:

More vulnerable people that have always been offered a vaccine have actually decided to take it up this year.

Seems the fear of something that can kill you is higher when the media bang on about it every day instead of just getting a leaflet from your GP etc (flu is just as deadly).

• Nick_C says:

Ironically, if people do the things they should be doing for Covid (hands face space is this weeks slogan I believe), we shouldn’t be seeing much winter ‘flu this year.

• William R B says:

Same with our medical practice. Flu jabs start 10th October !

• Kevin C says:

Summer shop small referred to ‘this year’ in relation to it so I wasn’t sure they ever intended to run it in December. But it’s more likely than Amex opening a Platinum House this year.

• Rob says:

BA has just launched a short haul sale. Dublin is £119 in CE.

• Anna says:

I thought we were effectively barred from Ireland at the moment?

• Sukes says:

Ireland is on the FCO exemption list. Arrivals from GB are asked to restrict their movements for 14D.