Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 26th September

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/09/26/the-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-26th-september/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (88)

• Kevin says:

Would curve with underlying IHG/HH card to make payment to Amex incurring any fee?

• Peggers says:

I was looking at the IHG deals, hoping to go to London in the New Year.
    I am interested in the Crowne Plaza’s and wondered why it is that the Kings Cross CP is always cheaper than the other central hotels. Sometimes half price. Assuming all facilities are the same/open, is there an issue with CP Kings Cross that isn’t obvious?

• Ron says:

Stayed here in January 20 and got upgraded to club room with lounge access booking the basic room as spire. Remember the hard product was good – similar to the newer CPs. Can’t remember about the breakfast in lounge. Where it falls down on is location, its about a 10 min walk to the tube and not close to many sites / attractions. It’s fine if ur planning on using uber to get around.

• Sandra says:

Because of location and, in my experience, rooms are small. Having said that always been upgraded/given lounge access when staying (we are Spire Ambassador) and quite enjoy the walk from there into central London which takes about 25 minutes past the British Museum. However late at night the walk back isn’t great either that way or from Kings X and if I was alone or with my daughter I would get a taxi!

• Sandgrounder says:

I was in LSE halls not too far from here once upon a time. It’s handy for Exmouth Market, which has some good dining options. It’s a bit of a rubbish location for the tube, there are some frequent buses into the Weat End from Rosebery Ave which is a couple of hundred yards down the road, depending on the time of day it’s often more convenient than getting the tube.

• Sukes says:

At the moment facilities are def not the same. Pool, all restaurants closed. They are serving bkfast in club lounge and for rest of day guests can use the club lounge like a canteen space and order in or bring in their own food to eat there. No date as to when this situation will change.

• Sam says:

Hi all, what are people planning to do for xmas and new year? I don’t fancy spending Xmas and New Year in London and parents house in the Midlands is currently undergoing a major refurb so going home is not an option. Don’t fancy a staycation and would love some winter sun but balancing that with CV19 risk..

• Anna says:

Xmas and New Year with extended family is looking less and less like an option for anyone right now! The government can’t really make an exception for this, given they pulled the plug on Eid the day before and wrecked lots of people’s plans. My first choice would be somewhere warm but due to OH working and quarantine not being an option it looks like it’s all going to be at home and very quiet. We have The Langley still booked for early January so might splash out on spa treatments and meals to compensate!

• old bob says:

The Langley is great, you can even order your meal in advance, I over indulged there myself recently, check out http://www.langleybanqueting.co.uk they do a great deal for pensioners such as yourself.

• Anna says:

Love it, @old bob! I wil definitely ask them about the pensioner’s rate. I’m sure in these trying times they will be eager to attract the silver £ 🤣

• EwanG says:

There is a difference between being retired and a pensioner though!

• old bob says:

@Anna, Sadly the wedding business there has suffered, I may have mentioned previously I was there a couple of months ago at a do, and got into conversation with a terrible bore who turned out to be a local estate agent with dreadful breath, who turned out was a HFp reader.

• mr_jetlag says:

Posted in the Sale thread, but we booked 4 nights in the Conrad Istanbul over Xmas break. Turkey unlikely to impose inbound quarantine given their lax treatment of the ‘Muricans over the summer.

• Harry T says:

Booked Turnberry with points. Considering UAE if we want some sun but can’t really be bothered with BA screwing me over again with cancellations.

• Munch says:

After 2 previous failed trips due to changing FCO advice, finally made it to Turkey. Staying at the LXR Hilton in Bodrum, 72000 points on a 5 for 4. Room is fantastic, upgraded two levels due to platinum status. Probably the best Seaview I’ve ever experienced lying on my bed. Fascinating watching the comings and goings from my balcony of a $130m super yacht (always knew my travel binoculars would come in handy).
    Breakfast has a great range, all table service due to Covid. In the resort taking Covid seriously but outside in Bodrum the general style of mask wearing is chin only even though its meant to be mandatory in all public areas.
    Generally a relaxed 5 star feel. Prices aren’t bad – a beer is around £4.50 compared to say £3.50 in Bodrum.
    Might contact the yacht tonight via Morse code using my phone – see if I can get an invite for the evening. I’m sure they’ll send over the launch to collect me and the wife. 😉

• TripRep says:

What’s Hilton Platinum status?

• Jerrry Butler says:

They will more likely arrest you for voyeurism.

• Munch says:

I suppose if they insist on parking their boat in my view you can’t help but take a look. Its not quite Dudley Moore in “10” with his telescope.

• Anna says:

Have you worked out who it belongs to? We saw the most amazing yacht anchored off Monte Carlo a couple of years ago, looked more like a futuristic marine Bond villain lair than a pleasure palace. A google search revealed it cost $330 million and belonged to a Russian oligarch (naturellement!)

• Tim says:

Hi all. Does anyone have any very recent experience of transiting in Changi Airport? I have flights booked HRW-SIN with BA, then SIN-CGK with Jetstar. (Mid October). I’m finding it hard to find out if transit will be alright – I’ve read you have to be booked with a SIN based airline, but I’m not sure it’s up-to-date info. Thanks 🙂

• Tim says:

Update: So it seems you cannot transfer in Singapore with a BA flight. (only singapore airlines, silk air and scoot). Why don’t BA flag this at the time of booking? I even had CS confirm to me that transitting was fine earlier today. What would happen if you landed I’m not sure. Do anyone think I will stand a chance of having the (redemption flight) cancellation fees waived? Hahaha
      Also, it seems my best bet of getting to Jakarta is now with Qatar via Doha, but all suggestion welcome. Thanks

• Lady London says:

take an ftv and rebook on QR?

• Axel Heyst says:

I just came back to UK from Jakarta, transit through Istanbul.

Unless you have Indonesian Passport you’re going to stuggle getting a visa for Jakarta anyway. Only official access is through Telex Visa’s from the Embassy

• Tim says:

Yes, I’ll be booking on QR I think, I might just take the refund less £35 each though – the extra avios for CE on a partner airline might be a stretch too far this time. Thanks 🙂

• Keith says:

Anyone got a Metro Bank referral code?

Sorry to ask again, someone did answer this for me a few weeks ago but I got distracted and now can’t find it.

Thanks

• Ron says:

Does anyone know if BA is going to extend book with confidence? Thanks.

• Niall says:

Anyone know if Airbnb in the UK is passing on the VAT cut on their service fee for stays?