Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 7th October

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/10/07/the-hfp-chat-thread-wednesday-7th-october/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (228)

• Simon Schus says:

Hi all,

When doing the TAP Status Match, how long after paying to get a Club Basic membership did the upgraded status show?

• Sina says:

You get an email in two days and in my case took a further 4 days for the status to appear in the app.

• Rob says:

Was near the 2 weeks they said it might take.

• Simon Schus says:

Am trying to use it this week so will see if it updates in time. Minor use: Heathrow Express upgrade! No major loss if it doesn’t come through in time, and will no doubt be up in time for a Star Alliance flight.

The response to my sending and approving the match after sending in the form was around 4 hours on Sunday. Got the Club Basic registration this morning after paying for it yesterday

• Simon Schus says:

Thank you!

• MarkS says:

Has anyone ever travelled club World overnight with a baby nearing the 2 year mark? We have twins and Last travelled back from SA when they were10 months. At this point they seemed the right size for the BA baby seat but imagine they would be way too big now. Deliberating using 2 241s and getting them their own seat as part of the 50% avios sale.

• Anna says:

If they will still be under 2 at the time of travel I would think that if it can be done you would need to call BA. Agree it would be a bit of a squeeze to try & sleep with a larger toddler. I wonder if you could just book one extra seat and let them share it? They could sleep end to end & you could save a companion voucher.

• MarkS says:

That’s a good point! Thanks. The chairs were OK, they both slept pretty well in them. The biggest issue was one of the bassinet seats being in the middle at the back of a 2-4-2 layout and the neighbour being a bundle of joy. You can’t have 2 babies in the same section as there’s only ever one extra face mask.

• MarkS says:

I meant oxygen mask of course. Joys of Corona taking over our lives

• Manya says:

Probably depends on how AVIOS rich you are. Id agree that the bassinet is most likely going to be too small but when we travelled with almost 2 year old on return from Abu Dhabi we did so by doing a combination of child sleeping on /with us and making use of a nearby empty seat with permission of cabin crew.

• John says:

My baby would not have fit intog the bassinet at 6 months, but we haven’t had a chance to fly since then…. booked lap ticket for March and Hoping for an empty seat otherwise might be one of those annoying parents

Well I give it a 50% chance of not happening as destination may still require quarantine

• Genghis says:

We flew CW when baby was 10 months and he didn’t fit in the bassinet and the chair didn’t look that comfortable for sleeping. He slept on my wife’s bed.

• John Caribbean says:

You’re probably aware, but if they are under 2 outbound, but over 2 on the return leg, you get a “free” seat on the way back

• Nadeshka says:

We travelled back from India when my daughter was 9 months, and didn’t fit in the bassinet and the baby seat wasn’t great for sleeping. She slept very well on my flat bed next to me, I slept less well curled up next to her but it wasn’t awful.
      If they turn 2 while you’re away, they will be entitled to a seat on the return, but only at the cost of the infant fare. You can call up to ensure the seats get booked, I did this yesterday.

• Anna says:

Data point – received the points and the bonus free night Ambassador renewal certificate today from our weekend stay at the Kimpton Clocktower. This must have been one of the most economical ways of triggering the free night at £93 for the room.

• Crafty says:

Found anywhere good to use this yet where the prices have not been deliberately inflated?

• Anna says:

Deliberately inflated how? I think you’re confusing it with the bogof night – this was a separate promo recently, renew/join Ambassador, complete a Kimpton/IC stay, get a free night certificate up to 40k points.
        I’ve provisionally booked the Kimpton Blythswood Square for our wedding anniversary weekend next March, it was exactly 40k points (or £250ish cash) so feel like that’s good value from it.

• Crafty says:

Sorry, yes I see what you mean, but one still had to pay to join Ambassador in order to participate in this promo.

I’m struggling to find value in paying to join Ambassador, because the hotels I would consider using the free weekend night at have all inflated their prices for those people who are using free weekend nights, eliminating the value.

• TGLoyalty says:

The BOGOF isn’t inflated it just uses the fully flexible refundable rate

Since most people aren’t booking non refundable pre paid stays right now surely it’s the best time to use one.

However, there are still options out there. I got a genuine £150 saving vs the 2 night on a non refundable rate at the kimpton Edinburgh this past weekend.

• Anna says:

I think there are such good offers around, it makes the bogof price look inflated. You need to shop around but there are still good deals out there. I’ve currently got a suite with lounge access booked at the O2 where the bogof rate is still a big saving on booking 2 nights, and the same at the IC Abu Dhabi (96 m sq Emirates club suite) which is going to cost £280 for the stay (if we get there!)

• Harry T says:

@TGLoyalty were we in Edinburgh at the same time? Lol

• TGLoyalty says:

And now it’s locked down :/ (far too much for tourism anyway)

I should have read your msg on Thursday but for some reason Twitter notifications are hit and miss.

• BJ says:

Good stuff, I decided to hedge my bets on at least a similar offer at Black Friday with dates that’ll suit me better. Still hoping for a play that will help with Kimpton Shinjuku ifI ever get there.

• Harry T says:

@BJ that new Kimpton looks amazing.

• BJ says:

Cannot recall who now but one reader told me a month or two back that they were taking vouchers but sadly not yet points. Unfortunately I don’t even have the right credit card!

• Manya says:

I have a 2-4-1 set to expire in April 2021. Any suggestions on how to extend expiry/convert it to a FTV?

• Anna says:

Anyone got any hotel suggestions for my Plan B Easter booking to Abu Dhabi? I’ve booked 5 nights at the IC in a suite (including using my Ambassador bogof for the Emirates suite). Prices seem unbelievably low compared to the Caribbean & US at that time of year (I know they don’t celebrate Easter but thought tourists might still get stung with high prices). Is it worth staying on Yas Island and/or spending a few nights in Dubai? I mostly want sun & sand and OH probably scuba diving.

• Andrew says:

Hotels in the ME are generally much cheaper than other parts of the world – mainly because they’ve built so many huge hotels. Easter not being part of the country’s religious calendar shouldn’t make a difference as it’s a holiday period for Europe and Russia where most of their tourism is from. And did you know that whilst in the US they do celebrate Christian festivals, there are no public holidays at Easter, so other than a few eggs and marketing and going to church if you’re observant, it’s business as usual through the whole period.

• J says:

Russia and other Orthodox countries e.g. Bulgaria and Greece celebrate Easter at a different time to the rest of Europe, their calendar is about a month later I believe.

• Sandgrounder says:

The Julian calander is 13 days behind the Gregorian, but in both traditions Easter falls on the first Sunday after the first ecumenical new moon after the spring equinox (off the top of my head) and I think orthodox Easter has to be after Passover as well. Some years it can fall on the same day, it did in 2017. It is often only a week out, but it is a lunar month later next year (my wife is orthodox)

• Mr. AC says:

Easter is a religious holiday in Russia, but there’s no public holiday related to it. We inherit our public holidays mostly from the Soviet Union, so we have Man’s day, Woman’s day, Labor day, Victory day, etc. The only “religious” holiday that is also a public holiday is Christmas on the 7th of January.

• Anna says:

Yet US hotel prices over Easter weekend are swingeing!

• TGLoyalty says:

St Regis Abu Dhabi has a decent beach for a city centre hotel.

Are you better off on Sadiyat Island if you like diving and just want sun sand and R&R? The Louve is over there aswell and worth a visit.

I believe the IC AD is dated and it’s around the same area as the Edition, there heavy construction on the road around there in Feb. it’s worth reading the reviews over at flyertalk.

• Sandra says:

Late reading today – Yas is quite a way from main AD island although you do have the large mall there, Ferrari World & the water park. Taxis are reasonable. Sadiyaat Island also requires a taxi to get anywhere. IC is dated 70s style but service etc generally good & there was a good Belgian Cafe in it if you like Mussels & Belgian beer! We left AD in 2014 & only been back once since but don’t imagine IC will have changed much. It is fairly near to Emirates Palace and Marina Mall. The Grand Mosque is well worth visiting, make sure you have appropriate dress & a headscarf or they will ‘lend’ you one of their abayas 🙂 For diving I would choose Oman – you can fly there from AD in about 45 mins. Personally I prefer AD to Dubai – understated wealth and less bling!!

• IO says:

Hi, I have just received a reply from Tap on my status match. I think now need to pay €99 to achieve gold but does anyone know who long the status is for? Is it just until the end of 2021? Normally this would be great but with Covid everything is up in the air and I know Turkish airways offer 2 years but not clear on TAP. Thanks.

• IO says:

👆Sorry about the typos above- too quick typing on my phone and not checking 👆

• AndyF says:

Question how do I extended a 2-4-1 if booking a cheap RFS? Mine expires in March. Say I booked a cheap Spanish rfs and then cancell for a FTV voucher. How can this FTV then be used later on for Hong Kong? How does the 2-4-1 element work? Thanks

• pauldb says:

You can do this, and just pay the difference – while getting the full 241 benefit. If you RFS is 20k+£140 (for 2) and HKG would be 200k+£1100, you have to pay the difference of 180k+£960 (i.e. not 400k – 20k).

• ChrisC says:

Evertthing you paid for the booking – points, cash, 2-4-1 – gets wrapped into a single package

When you come to book your trip to HKG they then apply everything in that wrapper to the new booking and they will then charge you the extra avios and cash