Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 12th October

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/10/12/the-hfp-chat-thread-monday-12th-october/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (195)

• BuildTheWall says:

IC Ambassador – are the benefits on paid stays extended to more than one room? If not, would it be better to book via FHR / agents like Emyr to get the benefits for all rooms?

• BJ says:

IHG: 20% off points and cash bookings through 20 October.

• Aston100 says:

I checked a few places and it isn’t that good. The cost of the points seems a fair but higher than the value of the points saved (assuming 0.4p per point).

However, I am not sure what to make of the Mr & Mrs Smith in Amersham. I don’t know what the value of points is here.
      For this coming weekend, the basic room eligible for reward nights is £124pn / 25k points pn / 20k points + £23 pn / £15k points + £46pn

• BJ says:

Couldn’t remember how the 20% off points and cash worked to be honest. My first though was that it was off the cash element only but I am sure somebody will enlighten us.

• TGLoyalty says:

When you use points and cash all you are doing is buying the points for 0.6 $ cent each so 20% off would be 0.5 $ cent instead.

• BJ says:

Just got an email confirming my entry into University Arms competition (thanks again). Didn’t get such confirmation when I entered the Malaysia competition though. Is this are possible problem with my entry or are the emails not sent out for every competition? Thanks.

• Rob says:

It’s just the way Sinead set it up in the back end. Doesn’t make a difference. It is possible that, if there are multiple entry methods, it doesn’t offer this.

• BJ says:

I thought that would be it but just checked in event it might be something worth looking out for when entering future competitions.

• Annabel says:

Has anyone successfully changed ( without any additional Avios 😅) an Avios 50% reward flight booking to dates past 30/6/21 by telephone please? I can’t seem to do it on line as no First off peak for return flight available and I now need to travel a week later. Thank you

• Lee says:

That’s a crazy idea by calling to tell them there is a loophole in their system and you would like to take advantage of it.

• Louise K says:

I couldn’t do it online either. Would let me change the date, select flights told me I needed to pay another £39 in tax, took my credit card details but wouldn’t complete the transaction.

I would not call them, you are not supposed to be able to do this.

• Nick says:

Someone on FT tried to do this over the phone and was told that date changes would be charged the full Avios price.

• Marcus says:

Not sure if this has been covered, but one of my 241 BA voucher has been extended by another 6 months.

It was due to expire in Sept 20, then was extended to March 2021, now been extended again to Sept 21.

• Rob says:

Yes they have. Announced today. I just don’t have the space to cover it!

• Anna says:

That’ll be great news if they’re automatically extending them all again.

• AppleW says:

Just checked….my GUF now has an expiry date of Sept 2021, was originally Sept 2020, then extended to March 2021. Thank you BA.

• Stagger Lee says:

I just checked and the voucher I triggered in late Sep. hasn’t had the extension applied (yet).

It has, however, been applied to a voucher I’ve got for the Caymans in Feb. It did expire on 18th Feb but that is now showing as August which is great news as I am very doubtful of that trip taking place.

• meta says:

No extension for me. I had a voucher expiring in April 21, still the same. I also have another one expiring in Aug 22, not extended.

• Anna says:

Fingers x’d they’re working through all BAEC members and will get to us eventually!

• Anna says:

Well it looks like we might have just scraped into Tier 2 – half term break possibly back on! Wondering if I can tempt the OH to 5 nights at the Trump Turnberry!

• Grant says:

Ayrshire and Arran is part of wee Jimmy’s central belt lockdown. I’m not sure how hotels are affected but 5 days could get a bit boring – even in ‘normal times’ 2 or 3 nights there is enough. Hotel F&B prices are, as you would expect, fairly punchy.

• Anna says:

It probably won’t happen – I might get 2 days in York or Harrogate if I’m lucky!

• TGLoyalty says:

Agree 2 nights were lovely 5 would’ve driven me mad.

• TGLoyalty says:

Though if I took my own car I may have explored the countryside and local pubs/restaurants.

• Nick says:

Got an email from Amex that transfer to Avios is complete, but nothing shows up on my BAEC account. Does someone know when does the Avios hit the account after the completion email from Amex?

• Sukes says:

Re: the various Amex deals. There are some decent BA eAvios deals on the at mo: Harvey Nichols up to 14/£, Cult Beauty 12/£, Selfridges 8/£. Kiehls not on Amex but they’re on up to 15/£ which you might get away with stacking with the powerduo offer on the Kiehls website (buy one get 2nd half price).

• Anna says:

Elemis 12 avios per £ as well. Some cracking offers at the moment – if you place a few orders for the minimum spend you can get stacks of freebies. They are doing a free 30ml jar of Pro-Collagen Overnight Matrix with a £90 spend at the moment, which is worth £87 itself!