Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 17th October

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/10/17/the-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-17th-october/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (133)

• dezbez says:

Morning HFPers. Question re the Bournemouth Hilton -I’ve got three nights booked there this week in an Executive room. I’ve got Gold status – can I reasonably be expected to be upgraded to a suite (looks like there are plenty available) or is it at the hotel’s discretion? TIA

• Rob says:

I would never expect anything as Gold. Unless you booked a room one level below a suite I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

• J says:

Of course it’s at the hotel discretion. Upgrades are never guaranteed. As HH Gold I’d say I probably don’t get upgraded most of the time, in Europe at least. Same experience with Marriott and Radisson. If I can be bothered I’ll ask and probably upgraded half of the time. If you really want a suite, book it.

• Genghis says:

Exactly. Book what you actually want and then think of anything in addition as a bonus.

• Chris Heyes says:

dezbez, we have always been upgraded to a suite at every Hilton we have stayed at, mind there are 3 of us normally traveling.
      So it’s hard for them to upgrade us to anything else (we usually book a 3 bedded room) but always get a suite
      we book n pay for B n B Even though I’m gold so should get brecky free (i always politely ask, as we’ve paid for breaky can i get upgraded) in fact stopping at Hilton Avisford Park and already been upgraded showing in my account lol

• Chris Heyes says:

Should add at Hilton Avisford Park booked cheapest room cosy room
        (so imagine very small) looking in my account upgraded to very best room king Suite (so upgraded times 3 or 4) 27th to 29th October
        i normally don’t find out until i get there

• TGLoyalty says:

I’ve been upgraded to suites as gold.

But an upgrade is never guaranteed anywhere. If they aren’t busy you can always just ask nicely.

• Rob says:

I’ve done four ‘day rate’ stays in the past 4-5 weeks and as Diamond have scored 3 x no upgrade and 1 x one-level upgrade.

• Fivebobbill says:

Nail on the head TG, especially if in UK or Europe. Am Gold and in a very nice Suite right now in Hilton Athens… by asking nicely.
        Very nice it is too 👍

• Bigmaggot says:

Stayed at Bournemouth Hilton a few times as Diamond. Never been upgraded to a suite but this was sat nights when hotel was busy. Even a complimentary stay wasn’t upgraded after a hot water pipe flooded the hotel and we had to evacuate the hotel at 3am with a 6 month baby. The exec lounge is closed at the moment

• SteveSlow says:

Morning, I used one of the codes shared yesterday for a Metro bank referral, I’ve now got one in case anyone else is still interested:

8SNDBXG9

(hope I’m not jumping the queue)

• Axil23 says:

I returned a part of an order for which I got cash back on. Amex haven’t taken away the cash back yet as the order now falls below the qualifying level. I want to close that card how long should I wait to see. If I close it will they just bill me later? Last thing I want is to get a bad tick mark against my future amex application over £30.

• Aston100 says:

Say you have a business class or first class reward booking using a companion voucher, and your non stop BA flight is cancelled and BA then put you on a partner airline. Are BA obligated to put you in the same cabin type? If you end up in business class instead of the first class seat you’d booked, are BA obliged to give you don’t avios?
    What if this wasn’t a reward booking and you’d paid cash? What would happen about avios and tier points given that partner airline will almost certainly be two flights back home?

• Anna says:

You are entitled to re-routing in the same cabin class, although of course it’s possible that this might genuinely not be available on an alternative flight so you’d have to decide whether to wait until your chosen cabin became available. If you took a lower cabin you should get back any applicable avios and/or cash.
      I have a feeling that in the case of a cash booking you would only get tier points based on your original journey, but there may be others who know different!

• Pid says:

I believe you only get the Avios and TP for the flights you paid for. I thinking is in the T&Cs.

• BS says:

If it is sorted more than 2 weeks out, you won’t get any compensation for the journey taking longer etc.
      If they re-route you on another airline, and it is In a lower class, they will have to give you 75% of the fare you paid for that sector. This can be in avios if you paid this.
      However, if it’s anything like my experience, BA will flatly refuse to reroute you. You will have to pay for the replacement flight yourself, and claim the money back from BA via MCOL or CEDR. The loss of miles or tier points is interesting: you could ascribe it a monetary value (BA helpfully sell avios to help with this), and add this to the claim.

• Anna says:

Be careful with this, though, as if you accept a lower class they will class it as a voluntary downgrade, you probably won’t get compensation and BA will probably be even more awkward about giving you what you’re entitled to.

• Lady London says:

ec261 says you get 75% of cost of F seat back if downgraded to J. BA apparently dont like honouring the law so you are likely to have to MCOL when you have flown so have proof. For that amount its worth it though you can calculate your claim various ways including retail cost of buying avios and it also applies to both seats on a 241.

• Ant says:

I have the free BA card & have just been offered double Avios for next 3 months. This would take me over the £10k.
    If for eg I spend £13k & then upgrade to the premium card would I get the companion voucher immediately valid for 2 years?

• Genghis says:

You’re likely to get a companion voucher only valid for 1 year but a complaint to Amex should sort it out.

• Rob says:

Yes. It will, due to Amex IT issues, be issued with 1 year validity but a quick email to Amex gets that fixed.

• Charlieface says:

Best to upgrade just before you hit 10k to avoid issues

• meta says:

Under EU regulations doesn’t matter how you paid for your flight (Avios, cash, companion voucher), you are entitled to reroute under comparable transport conditions, so if booked in First, you should fly First on all legs. It can be on any airline, does not have to be oneworld. Although you need to be somewhat reasonable. BA probably won’t, but that will work to your advantage if you have to take them to MCOL.

• Harry T says:

Yes, quite right. BA will probably be scumbags about it, as you rightly say, based on multiple anecdotes across forums. But that doesn’t change your legal entitlement!

• meta says: