Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 28th October

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/10/28/the-hfp-chat-thread-wednesday-28th-october/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (182)

• Mouse says:

The UK has been removed from Switzerland’s mandatory 10 day quarantine list, in case it is relevant to anyone here (Switzerland still on UK’s list though, of course).

• Sukes says:

Re: Amex Plat personal travel insurance & FCO advice. I emailed AXA today with Q: “please advise whether in the situation that I purchase transport and/or accommodation in full on my card to a destination to which UK FCDO advice of “against all but essential travel“ is in place on the date of booking but not on the start date of my journey whether I will be eligible for my insurance benefits.” Answer by email “If at the time of booking the advice is all but essential then you are not covered for cancellation prior to going or have any travel insurance during your trip if the advice does not change.. If that advice then changes before your departure & your destination is now deemed safe to travel to then yes you will have the travel insurance as per terms and conditions.” Hopefully helpful as I have read contradicting advice on this thread which I didn’t think held up when you read the insurance terms. If you want to get it yourself in writing then email AXA (address is on their Covid disruption doc on the amex plat ins website) & include your full card number in your email (as it is your insurance policy number).

• memesweeper says:

Good to know Sukes, thanks for sharing.

• John W says:

Thanks for sharing .
      What insurance company / policy does cover this ?

• Nick_G says:

Thanks mate. This was very helpful.

• Sukes says:

No probs glad to share as I know we’re all trying to figure out how to plan 2021 as safely as possible whilst still being able to enjoy the pleasure of travel

• Polly says:

Thank you for clarifying. So many of us are booking for next year and really have no idea if we are covered or not. Reassuring.

• VentureLog says:

Question re BA vouchers issued when you cancel a flight – I’m sure someone has already responded to this. If you reduce a cash booking by x amount of Avios, what does the eVoucher include? The full cash and the x Avios amount refunded? Or the reduced cash plus the “value” of the avios?

• Hanif says:

When I queried this earlier this month, I was told you voucher value is the price of the flight before you used any Avios to reduce the price. So they have taken the Avios used and given you “cash”.

• Martha says:

May I ask what someone could advise on the best use for nectar double up?
    I don’t drink wine(don’t ask…)

• Tracey says:

Buy something that unfortunately is unsuitable, return it the following week. You should get back it’s full value as a sainsbob voucher.

• Martha says:

Hong kong?

• Sukes says:

On EHIC after 31 Dec: nesting is getting a bit lost on p3 so posting here. I used to draft EU legislation albeit don’t work in the field anymore. My tuppence:
    1/ Don’t rely on the short paras on nhs website etc. The devil is in the detail of the legislation, which is considerable – there’s no 1 size fits all answer for individual circumstances
    2/ EU seeks to protect social benefits inc pension, healthcare for those who have taken the choice (& risk) to move from their home country or countries to a host EU country. EHIC is a particular form of such protection for temporary stays hence why its become analogous with holiday travel. These protections DO NOT come automatically from being an EU citizen. To quote the ECJ “the fact that a Union citizen is a national of more than one Member State does not mean that he has made use of his right of freedom of movement.” (case C-434/09 – def worth a read for those interested)
    3/ The Withdrawal Agreement between UK and EU agrees that those who have by 31 Dec 20 exercised this freedom of movement specifically through EU national now residing in UK or UK national now residing in EU can keep enjoying benefits of the EU right of movement legislation for their lifetime as long as they abide by conditions in the Withdrawal Agreement. Such persons are urged to register with their host country to confirm this new form of residential status (eg EU Settlement Scheme in the UK which closes 30 Jun 21.)
    4/ For everyone else we’re basically waiting on/hoping UK and EU agree reciprocal healthcare measures for temporary stays to replace EHIC once the EU right of free movement is removed for UK citizens after 31 Dec 20. Hence why I don’t think you’re getting any definitive answers (yet) on UK Gov websites. If we don’t get such agreement in practice I’ve no idea how healthcare provision for tourists would be managed from 1 Jan 21 as I can’t see how they could figure out who is eligible and who is not.
    5/Any EU lawyers reading this will know I’m massively simplifying EU law & leaving out exemptions – sorry. But hopefully there’s enough here for anyone who wants to dig further with regard to their own circumstances – I don’t want to take up an entire page on this thread on EU case law & I probably already have…..

• Nick_C says:

Many thanks for this!

So if I’m reading this correctly, your understanding is that an EU “foreigner” who has settled here will still be able to use their UK-issued EHIC, but a Brit (living in the UK) who happens to also have a second EU nationality will not?

• meta says:

It’s a bit more complicated than that Sukes outlines above. If you are in this situation, you need to speak to your embassy or national health authority in your home country. My embassy told me that my British EHIC will be valid despite holding dual nationality. This is because I obtained my British nationality through EU settlement route, so it is clear that I exercised my freedom of movement rights prior to 31 Dec. But I think in practice, it will be a total mess. It was also suggested to me by a friend of mine who works in EU that I just get EHIC from my home country. It wouldn’t be so difficult to get it and I do some of my medical check-ups there anyway.

So the best bet would be to find out from your embassy or comptent authority in your non-Brit nationality country.

• Stephen says:

Did anyone else just get this email? Not sure where we’ll be able to redeem them though

Wyndham Rewards

It’s Our Way of Saying Thank You

In honor of National First Responders Day and the #EverydayHeroes fighting on the front lines of COVID-19, we’re honored to give you:

7,500 Wyndham Rewards points
    enough for a free night at thousands of Hotels by Wyndham.*

To activate your 7,500 points, simply follow the link below, sign in to your account, and enter your personal code. After you claim your points, they’ll appear in your account immediately. You’ve earned this!

• Navara says:

France and Germany back in national lockdown

• Colin MacKinnon says:

How long do people think Greece will be safe for travelling – thinking Hydra in Saronic Islands near Athens

• Pablo says:

Couple more weekends at best. Their daily cases are now above 1500. 7 consecutive days at 1500+ and their weekly rate will be over 100 per 100k which is the Joint Biosecurity Centre’s new quarantine threshold. Make sure everything you book is refundable.