Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 31st October

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/10/31/the-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-31st-october/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (222)

• Anna says:

And just cringe making how many times Christmas is being mentioned as a carrot for compliance. My muslim neighbours had to cancel their Eid celebrations at a few hours’ notice; it would feel utterly shameless to have a big Christmas celebration (even if legal) a few metres from their home.

• Andrew says:

And Diwali celebrations in a couple of weeks will be cancelled too.

• Anna says:

Yes – our out of touch leaders should get out and see how all the festivals are held in high esteem by entire communities and understand that we SHOULD all be in it together. Muslims and Hindus in my local areas generally put lights up at Christmas and exchange cards and token gifts with friends and neighbours to show that they wish everyone well at their special times, but I can imagine they won’t feel much like it this year!

• Harry T says:

Agreed! People need to suck it up and act in the national interest.

• Cat says:

While I agree with all of the above, the carrot of compliance is needed. Too many people have been flouting all rules and restrictions since the Barnard Castle eye test.

• Cat says:

I think it would be a slap in the face to the Muslim and Hindu communities to allow big family celebrations inside for Christmas though, and I don’t think we should.

• Josh says:

I think a “rule of 6” would be appropriate. Eid Celebrations would likely be bigger than Christmas family get togethers.

• Cat says:

Not in Catholic families.

• Josh says:

Just four of us left in our Catholic family now…Most of those in my school had at most two other siblings (There was one guy with like ten siblings…)

• Cat says:

That is not the case in my Catholic school.

• Jerrry Butler says:

So you will cancel Christmas in your household then. As you had already ordered the Donald Russell turkey and all the trimmings, you could assuage the middle class guilt and give it away to a food bank in solidarity with your neighbours who missed out on Eid.

• TGLoyalty says:

No they can continue having Xmas in their own home and not share it with others.

• Nick says:

I live alone, 200 miles from my nearest relatives. But I’ll be travelling up and having Christmas with my mum… they can arrest me if they want (and can find me). I’m not Vicky Derbyshire, but she did have a point.

• Lady London says:

Are you not be worried about infecting her?

• TGLoyalty says:

@Nick you’ll be perfectly fine to if your mum is in your bubble. But I’d be worried about what I might be carrying so 14 days isolation maybe best bet!

• Josh says:

To be fair…that is Christmas as normal for a not insignificant number of families.

• Josh says:

Corbyn would approve

• Anna says:

It was always going to be just 3 of us as my OH is working nights over Xmas and New Year – clearly you missed that in your desperation to release your inner troll.

• Paul Pogba says:

Christians had to cancel Easter. The muslims near me cancelled nothing, mosques were surrounded by cars at eid just as they were every Friday during lock down.

• Cat says:

Where do you live Paul?

• Anna says:

Easter (and Christmas) were not even Christian festivals originally. Easter was a pagan celebration of the spring equinox (named for the goddess Oestre) and Christmas was overlaid over the holy day of the Roman god Mithras – which just happened to fall on December 25th. There’s no scriptural justification for celebrating either on a particular date.

• Josh says:

Indeed. Isn’t this sort of the reason why Easter falls on a different date each year?

• Hugh Jardon says:

Ah Eternal Rome! the Roman Gods a lady after my own heart, The cult of Mithras the quintessential essence of the worship of roman gods, originally for those in the know, a Persian god expropriated by the all conquering romans (coz they were like that)the temple of Mithras, beloved by famous romans throughout the centuries, I give you Augustus, Julius Cesar, Marcus Aurelius’. Paulo di Canio, Ferrero Rocher, and that bloke who used to manage Leicester city.

• Colin MacKinnon says:

And in Scotland, Christmas Day was;t even a holiday until c 1960. Because Presbyterian Scots couldn’t find Xmas in the Bible.

That’s why in Scotland Hogmanay is such a big thing and the Bank Holidays were 1st and 2nd of Jan, compared to just 1st Jan in England.

Well done Anna for calling out the Christmas contradictions. I couldn’t believe the lack of reality and the lack of empathy of the CofE Bishops who called just last week for special Xmas favours.

• Chris Heyes says:

Wow Anna so good to hear you, very knowledgeable
          I’m a atheist myself (fighting a losing battle against my partner)
          most Christian Church’s was built on top of pagan sites to force Christian religion to the forefront by king Constantine
          Who decreed that Christianity was to become the only religion in Rome
          any other worship punishable by death contrary to what is taught in schools
          King Constantine abandoned Rome to found Constantinople

• Ali M says:

aww Anna x
      Take it from me – no one would take umbrage at all in terms of Christmas – most of us celebrate most things and it would be nice to see some festivity around even if the Eid(s) unfortunately fell within lockdown.
      Your emotion and empathy is heart felt however <3

• Anna says:

I love that propensity to celebrate everything – our kids all do really well out of it lol!

• Lee says:

1.4 billion Chinese gave up Chinese New Year and entered a FULL lockdown for 2 months. Relative normality has returned, hotels and flights are almost full now. Lockdown in this country is joke, it will only make it painful and last long which eventually kill off the economic.

• Keely says:

Evening all – quick question.. I have a 2-4-1 booked to Singapore in feb (already moved from next week ggrrr), the voucher expires in May 2021 . Am I right in thinking if I take a voucher instead of refund , this will extend my 2-4-1? Do I need to do this by phone …?

• LARGO says:

Yes you can cancel and opt to take a voucher which will be valid until April 2022 (not 2021). I think it can only be done by phone. When you come to rebook, the same passengers have to travel on the 241 wrapped up in the Future Travel Voucher. I did this last month.

• Baji Nahid says:

So is international travel banned?

• Anna says:

That one’s a real can of worms …. how will they even prove whether you are travelling for work? Pack your stuff in a briefcase?!

• Jerrry Butler says:

As your retired, something you don’t have to worry about. I will of course ignore Bojo’s advice and instead follow Cummings, Stanley Johnson and ‘Honest’ Bob Jenricks example, and carry on as normal despite being in the high risk category, ( Over 50, and a fat bast*rd).

The downside of the lockdown is of course, that some contributors will be so bored that they will likely increase the volume of their posts on here to over their current 25 per day!

• meta says:

Yep and overnight stays in hotels in UK.

• meta says:

But I think we need to see the full details. Media like to overhype things. It might be only advisory which we all know means nothing.

• memesweeper says:

If it’s advisory most people will follow it.

• Cat says:

…and should follow it.

• Aston100 says:

Hah, the Daily Mail comments section is verging on a march on Parliament, V for Vendetta style.

• Cat says:

I never look at the Daily Heil comments section. My blood pressure goes through the roof before I even finish the headline. I would rather stab myself in the eye than read the comments section.

• meta says:

People should follow rules, but they haven’t. It is still largely a minority that follows the rules. I did a 14-day strict self-isolation after coming back from a country not on the corridor list. I doubt half of the passengers who weren’t wearing a mask on that flight did the same whilst BA crew encouraged them. You’d be surprised how little compliance there was. In my local shops nobody wears a mask and that includes staff. They all look at me like some weirdo for wearing it. So we are now faced with this because of that.

• Cat says:

I know, Meta. I live 9km from work and don’t drive, so I don’t have much choice but to take the train (I did spend some time trying to do the 18km round trip on top of f/t working hours, but that was beyond exhausting). Every day, some lobotomised tool gets on the train, sits near me and pulls their mask under their chin. Every morning I explain that I have a student whose mum is in chemo, and an obese diabetic colleague just down the corridor from me, and that I’d rather not infect them. I get laughed at.

Times have changed since the plague hit Eyam.

• Baji Nahid says:

He never mentioned it so i thought it’s business as normal there

• James says:

He said to only leave home if necessary which surely covers that unless it is for some essential reason

• Ali M says:

I don’t know is the answer – they haven’t said in the press conference.
      Schools, Unis, construction is open. Airline industry ??safer as everyone needs negative tests plus if a cough : don’t board rule…
      here’s hoping …

• Sukes says:

Everything depends what’s in the draft regulations to be published Tuesday. Devil’s in the detail.

• Rob says:

BBC says yes until you say you are travelling for work.

• James says:

Says on sky news international travel banned from UK but wasn’t officially stated from memory

• Spaghetti Town says:

I’ve just started a LTD company and am buying stuff on my personal amex for the business.

What would be the accounting practice to get this money re-imbursed to me. Sorry, could someone advise, new to it all.

• Genghis says:

Initially Dr expense / asset Cr directors loan account then when the Ltd co pays you back Dr directors loan account Cr cash.

• LL says:

Not an accountant…

Formally I believe it is part of your director’s loan but in practice it is near enough the same as being reimbursed by your employer if you were to incur expenses during a business trip, meeting at a coffee shop etc. Keep your receipt and pay the money back to yourself as and when the business has the cash to do so. Claim the VAT back as well (if you are or will soon be VAT registered)

• Spaghetti Town says:

Thanks both. Really useful

• Michael C says:

Spag. – to clearly separate business/personal purchases, you can pay for your business items by doing a bank transfer from your business account to the Amex bank account once things have passed through your card.

• KBuffett says:

This is very bad advice. Do not do this.
            If the Amex is a personal card, you should make expense claims to the company, the company should pay into your personal bank account and you should pay Amex from there.

• jason says:

Looking to rebook a cancelled off peak avios booking and take advantage of the book any date option even if no availability exist. Are you able just to add the extra miles if you wish to fly at a peak time or are you limited to off peak only?

• Navara says:

Fortunately all my family are shareholders, just need to arrange the AGM for 25th December