Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 2nd November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/02/the-hfp-chat-thread-monday-2nd-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (290)

• Alan says:

Hi, I have been reading about all of these seemingly very generous offers holders of the Platinum AMEX card are getting. Are these a regular occurrence or is this a one off in reaction to the Covid travel crisis.

I currently put about £20k p.a. of personal spending on a BA Platinum card, do you think it would be worth moving to a AMEX Platinum card on the basis of the additional offers (I already have a couple of 2 for 1 vouchers, which is enough for the next two years).

• IG says:

Spending on plat generally not worth it (ie 1 point per £) so would evaluate it on the benefits

If question is whether you should keep BAPP, depends if the avios worth it for you, btw Gold is better than Plat for spending (if you can hit the bonus 10k points spending). also Amex points could be more valuable than avios if you value the flexibility, there are also other options for day to day card that more knowledgeable folk than me will know..

• Anna says:

You can hold the BAPP and still get the sign up bonus on MR Platinum, so it can be worth it; the hefty fee means that keeping it long term doesn’t make sense for everyone though.

• Alan says:

Thanks All

From the comments it looks like it’s worth swapping the BAPC card for the AMEX Platinum for the sign up bonus, then trading down to a Gold for the free first year plus keeping it until i can get another introductory BAPC bonus.

Does this work as a plan?

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Majority of the plat generous offers are likely to be one offs because Covid means you can’t use a lot of “normal” benefits (plat is really around benefits, not so much points). Once it ends, their is every chance it could go back to normal.

• memesweeper says:

The last three months have been exceptional for Amex Platinum for offers, and they’ve been very good for Gold card holders too.

If you’re spending 20k/year on BAPP that’s 30k Avios + a companion voucher. If I was adding another card to that it would be Gold, spending on BAPP until reaching £10k spend would give you 15k Avios + companion, then apply for Gold, cancel BAPP for a partial fee refund, spend £15k on Gold then reapply for BAPP holding Gold unused until the anniversary bonus lands, then cancelling Gold for a fee refund. Rinse and repeat. If you prefer Bonvoy points to MRs that could work out well for you in a similar way to Gold. No science in the above, just my 2p.

• TGLoyalty says:

Even if there were no offers worth considering Gold depending on your spend

2MR on all airlines, 2MR on all fx spend and 10k bonus after £15k spend.

Plus more chance of different offers.

• Anna says:

I’ve probably miscalculated somewhat and joined IC Ambassador just before the new lockdown was announced so have had to cancel my end of November booking which I was hoping would trigger the bonus certificate! What’s really annoying though, is that although I now know that being Platinum seemingly doesn’t get you upgrade offers like the lower tiers do, the upgrades I already had have disappeared from the relevant bookings! Fortunately I took screenshots in case this happened as IHG IT doing weird stuff is a regular issue but this seems like quite a major glitch in the system.

• Michael C says:

Morning, Anna!
      I’m also wondering about a CP Kensington w/end booked for end of Nov. with first night non-refundable: perhaps they’ll be kind and offer a date switch at least?!

• Anna says:

Morning Michael, have they taken any payment yet? I cancelled a very similar booking via my IHG account, no payment had been taken and it went through like a regular cancellation. Nobody has chased me up for payment yet – my guess is they don’t even look at it until you check in at the moment.

• Baji Nahid says:

Got qatar airways offer on my gold card. Spend £500 or more get £100 back. Anyone else?

• Andrew says:

Yep. Can’t see myself booking a flight with them before the end of the year through.

• KBuffett says:

Got the following offers today on Amex Plat Charge: spend £300 get £100 back at Corinthia

On my Platinum Credit I got the Bicester offer that I had last month on my Plat Charge and Marriott.

No mention of the Harrods offer, but I’m going to buy a gift card tonight regardless

• Dave says:

Yeah me neither although I am wondering about booking something for £500, getting the £100 credit then cancelling the flight for a FTV. Effectively paying £400 for a £500 qatar voucher

• Andrew says:

Not a bad shout. Might look into the rules of their FTV. I guess we have a couple of months to think about it.

• Dave says:

Hmm checking their FAQ apparently can only use one voucher per passenger and I’ve already got a substantial voucher coming. That being said with the 10% uplift in voucher value I guess I’d end up with a decent saving for a future trip. Maybe I’ll wait and see if any deals come up!

• Andrew says:

The 10% additional amount will be calculated on the unutilized base fare (taxes and all other applicable charges excluded) so it’s not as much as 10% extra on the £500 spend

• BS says:

I got spend £350 get £100 back at Mr Porter, as well as Spend £70 get £10 back at Waitrose. As well as Qatar.

• Harry T says:

Got it on my Platinum. Spend £70 get £10 back at Waitrose on my Gold. Also spend £350 get £100 back at Mr Porter on a couple of cards.

• Andrew says:

No sign of this mythical Harrods £100 yet

• S879 says:

Same.

• Tim Rogers says:

Same! A bunch of other new offers though (e.g. Qatar Airways, Mr Porter, Made.com).

• Crafty says:

It’s 6am, give them a chance.

• Harry T says:

No sign for me either.

• Ian M says:

I have the Amex Plat, Bonvoy and BAPP and don’t have a single offer on any of them. It seems Amex don’t have any love for me anymore

• BLT says:

Have you tried removing one of your cards from online services, then create a new online account and add it there? It worked for my new BAPP, which I added to my old acccoumt – zero offers after 10 days. Created a new account this weekend and this morning has 2 new offers

• James E says:

The T&C on the back of the mailer say the offer is targeted. Why are you expecting it?

• guesswho2000 says:

Still no Barclaycard Hilton Honors points for Oct as of today, anyone else had theirs?

• KBuffett says:

Ref. The new Corinthia Offer – can I buy Gift Cards online or at the hotel?

• TGLoyalty says:

It’s valid til March 21!

• KBuffety says:

Which is nice, but not that long. Plus I have 4 offers available so would like to expend the expiry of possible.

• Ian M says:

Just been trying to pay HMRC with Curve. Selecting Mastercard Debit as normal but getting the following error:

“Card number does not match card type. This might be because you’ve entered your card number incorrectly or selected the wrong card type. Check that both are correct.”

I’m definitely entering the card number correctly and I’m definitely selecting the card type correctly..

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

• Rob says:

Yes, many reports of this yesterday in my inbox.

• memesweeper says:

Quick not-really-a-trip report: headed down to London on Saturday for a short-notice booking on points at the Intercontinental Park Lane. No upgrade (and not to be expected even though I’m Spire) but the standard room was great. Couple of *very* good cocktails in the bar, then an excellent dinner in Theo Randall’s place as every other restaurant in London seemed to be full — turns out the hotel restaurant is superb. Followed that night with a day of trying to max out some Amex offers before the shops shut. I can’t wait to return for a longer stay at the IC , great location and great staff — felt properly premium.

• memesweeper says:

oops! that threaded badly…

• Aston100 says:

I did the ‘poverty’ version of that late last week and stayed at the ‘Kensington’ Indigo and ate at the onsite Theos Simple Italian restaurant.
          Good experience.

• Anna says:

Upgrades and perks seem to be more likely at the O2, though I’m still waiting to actually visit, much like the Langley. It’s grim up north!

• BP says:

No upgrade is poor if rooms available. I always get an upgrade at ICs as a Spire member when booking on points. Even at aspirational properties such as IC Danang.

• Ali M says:

used 3 weeks back for a bumper payment- was ok. But this is worrying if Curve is being phased out :S Hopefully just a temporary glitch and gets up and running

• Crafty says:

Does your card say Commercial on the back?

• John says:

Done a £4500 payment every day for last 10 days to HMRC with my curve (including today) – my card is now a personal one

• Grant says:

What did we think of Michael O’Leary on 5Live this morning? For those that didn’t hear it, it is worth a listen – started around 7:45am or so.

He certainly didn’t pull any punches…

• The real John says:

Why don’t you provide a summary of what he said

• Sandgrounder says:

It’s little more than a rant tbh, good entertainment though.

• Aston100 says:

You mean you can’t read his mind? How very pedestrian.

• Bill says:

0738

I am just about to listen to it

• Bill says:

I think MOL said they have enough cash until next summer. Refunds currently 3 day wait. All refunds requested up to Aug have been processed and they’ve implemented a way to refund people who booked via OTA’s

• Anna says:

I have to say Ryanair were very quick to refund me recently after I turned down their kind offer of a voucher!

• Grant says:

The economy can survive being bounced in and out of lockdowns; Ryanair is sitting on £4.5b of cash reserves; it refunded £1.2b in cash and vouchers to customers who had travel plans distrupted by lockdown 1; every customer who requested a refunded for March thru July, including those who booked via OTAs, has been refunded and anyone who says otherwise is a liar; BBC bias; they won’t cancel flights in November; bookings strong for the Canaries at Christmas.

His style of delivery is why it is worth listening to for yourself.