Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 9th November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/09/the-hfp-chat-thread-monday-9th-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (276)

• Mco says:

Quick question. In regards to BA cancellations when they rebook you and there is no Avios availability does the date have to be off peak as per the original booking.

• Lady London says:

no. not if it’s their cancellation.

provided by ec261 statute which as a statute, overrides any terms BA would like to impose.

HUACA.

If your cancellation you would have to pay the difference : if their cancellation you don’t

• Lady London says:

plus if it’s their cancellation there does not have to bevany avios seat available on the flight you choose to rebook to. If there’s even 1 seat at any cash price in Y/PE/J/F- whichever you were originally booked to – you have a right to choose it.

• Mco says:

• Mco says:

Ok so what they told me was if its their cancellation I need to book 3 days before or 14 days later if there are no Avios seats for them to grab a commercial seat.

I didn’t care to question this as 3 days before suited me which didn’t have Avios availability.

• Lady London says:

that’s rubbish. That’s their own terms which BA would like to impose. EC261 overrides that – which is the better options I mentioned – as EC261 is a statute meaning it overrides contractual level which is what BA’s terms/rules are.

If you get this from BA then HUACA.

• babyg says:

@Lady London, it sounds like they are tightening down on people speculatively booking AVIOS bookings for NOW with the hope they can rebook them in the future when the flight gets cancelled. EC261 doesnt allow you to book at any point in the future, so 3 days before or 14 days after seems more generous than EC261 rerouting (under comparable transport conditions at the earliest opportunity)?

• Lady London says:

@BabyG it’s in EC261 under duty of care and it’s called rerouting. Easily readable text, very clear.

BA can try to ‘tighten down’ as much as they like : EC261 full rights of the passenger may choose to reroute (ie rebook) to a later date at the *passenger”s* *passenger’s* *passenger’s* convenience not BA’s. Google the text of EC261 if you dont believe me as that’s what applies.

And if a few passengers are perhaps getting better flights? BA has, so far as keen observers can tell, been appearing to continue to promote and sell tickets for thousands of.flights it was pretty clear to us would be cancelled after that by BA. Meanwhile BA is not refunding the money for these cancelled flights apparently using it as working capital for their business taking in many cases months and months requiring chasing…legally they should refund in no more than 14 days. In the circumstances in most of us would think up to 30 reasonable but reports are far longer.

Additionally we are also hearing from passengers BA has simply abandoned at destinations when BA has cancelled their return flight. BA is refusing to provide tickets they are supposed to provide on other airlines who do have flights.

So am I bovvered BA might have to give the odd seat away on a few more sought-after flights after they cancelled people’s originally booked flights? I can’t say that I am….soz

• Connor says:

Seems to be a glitch with the dates on comments on my phone. Coming up as “9 Nov 9 November xx:xx”

• Rhys says:

Your cache hasn’t cleared from the redesign!

• Sukes says:

You need to clean your website cache. Assuming you’re on an iPhone: go to Settings/Safari/Advanced/website data wait til list loads then find head for points.com & drag left and delete.

• Rob says:

Thanks. It is VERY annoying how long the cache lasts in Safari. You would expect it to be refreshed every few days. However it is now WEEKS since we made the change which caused this. There is nothing we can do to force Safari to download the underlying HfP template and stop using the one it downloaded six weeks ago.

• Sundar says:

My understanding was that there was a parameter in webpages that loads and says to the browser that this is expired and you have to fetch a new one from the server, which will then force the local cache of the browser to be over-ridden to fetch from the HfP Server. This way, there was some control on web-pages to “force” load new software/re-design.

• AndyGWP says:

Spot on – there’s a few different options for managing this on behalf of the clients browser

• memesweeper says:

Pragma: no-cache or cache-control headers are what’s required. Not always respected by browsers however. Messing with ETAGs can result in cache expiry ‘on demand’ without having everything redownloaded on every page request.

• Connor says:

It’s actually Chrome on my iPhone I was using. Clearing it has solved it though so cheers!

• TedL says:

Have a Laithwaites offer on both my BA and Gold cards, spend £75 get £20 back but it does say not valid for Gift Cards, which is what I want to buy. Does anyone know if it will work for GC’s. Last time I bought wine on the card it just said “Laithwaites Wine” on the statement. Anyone have any evidence one way or the other?

• babyg says:

I bought Bollinger on this offer which stacks nicely as its currently £10 off, so two bottles of Bollinger + a bottle of beer to reach £75 gets me almost %50 bollie (e.g. circa £25 per bottle)…

• Ian says:

Could someone offer a Metro Bank referral code? Thanks

• raz says:

9MRQTHZD
      You can use mine, thanks.

• 747_Brat says:

GSPBN4ZK
      Thanks.

• Ian says:

Thank you – applied and approved.

• 747_Brat says:

Cheers. Thanks mate.

I am sure you would know this already, but just listing below some titbit about the switch incentive. To receive the switch incentive:

1. Switch within 30 days of account opening:

apply.metrobankonline.co.uk/eforms/cassswitchingform

2. Deposit £500 for first two (2) months

3. Make 10 Debit Card Purchase in first two months

DONE

TIPS:

1. Change your customer number to a username to easier login

2. Apply for a Young Saver (1.10%) and link your account

• Andrew says:

“Smart Rewards Coming to MBNA”

Unsurprisingly, it looks pretty similar to the existing LBG proposition available to Lloyds, BoS and Halifax customers:-

mbna.co.uk/smart-rewards/FAQS

Very hand for those of us with one of the various kinds of “Horizon” card! Indeed for those with the 0.5% and FX Free variants (not available to new customers), this probably makes it the best Visa card to hold.

• Mco says:

Anyone finding the phone always disconnects as soon as the phone is answered with BA. So annoying especially after a bit of a wait. Takes 2-3 tries to get through to someone.

• Anna says:

Data point (esp @meta) – Mr & Mrs reward bookings. I decided to move my stay at Eckington Manor to another weekend and have been able to cancel the original dates via the IHG website. I did initially get the message that it couldn’t be done online, but the next page gave a cancellation number and the points are now back in my account so it’s possibly yet another IHG IT glitch!

• meta says:

Thanks. It actually seems fixed on my account. I don’t get the same message as before. Maybe because it is now fully processed with the Eckington? they contacted me a few days ago to confirm details and that breakfast is included. Now I’m thinking of moving the stay too and combine it with stay at Indigo Bath and Marriott in Bristol.

• Aston100 says:

I have a reward flight next April with BA.
    I can’t go, so will probably cancel a few days before (just in case BA themselves cancel it). I understand the resulting FTV will be valid until end of April 2022.
    Is there a possibility that date may get extended?
    My preference is to go to the same place, but in May half term 2022, but short of BA extending the date of the FTV, I can’t see that happening.

• Anna says:

I wouldn’t bank on it – the April 2022 date was fairly generous to start with! I’m aiming to use mine Feb half term or Easter that year.

• Lady London says:

be careful @Aston100, if things get better or for some other reason, BA could pull the FTV thing or its current terms at any time.

April is a long time to rely om things remaining the same. Plus the summer schedule – which airlines may re-strategise for – starts around 26th March.

So I would suggest you keep reviewing this – although I would think you’ll be OK for a while yet.