Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 11th November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/11/the-hfp-chat-thread-wednesday-11th-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (292)

• Ja says:

I’ve seen Airtime mentioned a few times today. What is it?. Have I not been paying enough attention to Robs emails.

• My Cat Voted For Biden says:

it’s an automated c4shback app, similar to those sites who must not be named. Download the app from App Store then pop in your card number in the app. It then links with the merchant (e.g. morrisons) and automatically tracks spend on that card. You’ll then receive money back for that spend. You cash the money out via credit to your mobile bill. It’s all quite simple, and just runs in the background once setup. If you use the code APLQGNJT when signing up you’ll get 50p free and an extra £1 when spending within 7 days.

• Matthew says:

If you cancel Marriott amex and reapply at later date, do you get the 15 elite nights again or one time credit? Thanks

• meta says:

It’s once per year. You can’t apply in January, cancel in March and then apply again in October to get 30 nights. Although no-one tested that yet.

• Kevin C says:

With apologies if it’s already on here. Uber Medics is back for NHS and care home staff. 25% discount upped to 50% if you pay by MasterCard.

• 747_Brat says:

How do I register for 8 Virgin Points per £1 at Morrisons offer please?
    Thanks.

• Doug M says:

Virgin Atlantic shopping portal. But it’s targeted, not everyone has it.

• 747_Brat says:

Thanks Doug.
        Is this for in-store purchases, after adding your card no. to track the purchases?

• venturelog says:

The morrisons offer excludes GC’s according to the purchase conditions.

• 747_Brat says:

Thanks everyone.

I just checked. I am also targeted for 8 Virgin Points per £1 at Morrisons. But the cards added to my in-store list were obsolete. I had to update the list and add new cards.

Should I wait for sometime to make a purchase or can I make a purchase straightaway?

• Venturelog says:

I think it mentions to wait 12-24 hours.
            Interested to know if GC’s go through with other transactions and registers the points

• Sina says:

Gotta wait at least 24 hours after adding cards.

• mark2 says:

I have bought thousands of pounds worth of gc last time and got points.

• 747_Brat says:

Thanks everyone. I would wait for 24 hours before I make a purchase!

• The Streets says:

Mine came through from a gc purchase last week

• memesweeper says:

– go back in time is cool
    – makes non-applepay cards work
    – makes non-contactless cards work
    – decent FX rates
    – nice app, I like the online payment confirmation thing

If you go with ‘metal’ you can use it for paying people who otherwise wont take credit cards, eg, HMRC (which is why I pay for it). There’s a few gotchas — don’t use it with Tesco’s CCs if you have one.

• Alan says:

What is go back in time?

• Jonathan says:

It means that if you pay for goods on one underlying card, and decide that you’d have rather used a different MasterCard/Visa then you can then charge the transaction to your preferred MasterCard/Visa card. I think there’s a cap of 14 days after the transaction date to be able to do this though

• Michael C says:

Spain requiring PCR (from previous 72 hours) on arrival as from 23 Nov.

• The Original Nick says:

Can someone advise me on paying some money into my nsandi premium bonds please. I remember reading some comment some weeks ago of being able to pay some in via IHG cc or something like that? May well of been via Curve though? I have Curve and IHG CC and Virgin CC if that helps. Thanks.

• Darren says:

Iberia Express to launch flights from NCL to Madrid, Lanzarote & Gran Canaria over the winter schedule.