Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 21st November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/21/the-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-21st-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (265)

• Darren says:

Is it wrong that when someone mentions bendy I think of Bendy Bully, maybe its an age thing?

• mark says:

Did anyone receive the free ihg night for the plat creation card spend yet?
    Really not happy tbh, they are giving me the runaround.
    Does anyone know the best way of dealing with this and who I can put a complaint in with?

• the_real_a says:

is this still happening? There are 2 ladies at Creation that deal with the operations of the IHG card. You need to find a way to get to them. They will send an “email” to smart people in IHG who will add the voucher manually. I used to call up the fraud line (this way the people are in the compliance team and generally have a bit more common sense than what feels like talking to bags of concrete in the call center) and ask them to find the ladies in question. But call up between 9-5 as thats when they work.

• Mark says:

Thank you and yeap it’s still happening.
        I want my card fee refunding if they won’t honour it as it’s in the terms and conditions.
        Will let everyone know how it goes

• Janet says:

Mark, I am having exactly the same problem, it’s so frustrating. I am still fighting for a free night which should have been awarded in May. I am wondering if it’s possible to take this to the Ombudsman. Please report back if you have any success.

• Crafty says:

Don’t think this helps you but mine posted automatically on anniversary day a few weeks ago. So it isn’t broken system wide.

• Ben says:

Hi
    Does anyone know when (or if) the HSBC 50% conversion to Avios offer will start? I heard it’s yearly and around this time, but I don’t know how to find out when it’s started

• Anna says:

Due to the new Scottish rules I’ve had to cancel our stay at The George, but re-booked for our silver wedding anniversary in March, if we can travel again by then! They’re still not showing any points availability but I decided to use one of our Ambassador BOGOF certificates and managed to negotiate a 3 category upgrade to a suite for £40 pn extra (Ambasador upgrade plus goodwill upgrade plus cash upgrade). Total cash price for the 2 nights will be £325 which makes me think they won’t still be offering the Club Intercontinental experience by then – when I spoke to the manager he was non-comittal about it but it seems to have disappeared as a future booking option.

• Anna says:

So booked The Majestic in Harrogate instead, assuming that we won’t be banned from Yorkshire (which you can’t take for granted in Lancashire lol). At least we might be able to use one of the Amex offers in December!

• Sloth says:

Stayed here in September, only for One night as travelling through. got a decent upgrade as gold. nice hotel, nice inside and an elegant dining/breakfast room. Bar staff incredibly slow, but on the plus side they forgot to charge for half the drinks so I didn’t mind. Would def go back

Just cross your fingers that the nightingale hospital isn’t in use by then as it’s right next door 🙂

• Josh says:

You didnt have to queue for an hour to check in? Staff seemed on a permanent go-slow when I was there. Most rooms didnt have a fridge or bottles of water (brand/group standard) and phone calls to reception went unanswered.

Breakfast was amazing

• Sloth says:

I had read about the queues for check in but we were there before 12:00 and I asked if they would be able to check us in early. Girl was pretty off hand but did it no problem so no, no queues for me 🙂

Agreed breakfast very good, we ate out for dinner but the dining room was pretty full for dinner. Did get a dessert (Very good) later on whilst sitting outside listening to a band

• Josh says:

Ah I went there in January so hopefully the Majestic has sorted itself out since then. Quite a lot of “Hyacinth Bucket” sort of guests with doggies.

• yorkieflyer says:

excellent wetherspoons by the baths

• the_real_a says:

Crown plaza was/is only £50 a night 14 nights ahead.

• Chris Heyes says:

Anna, Did you manage to get Avanti to sort rail tickets out to your satisfaction ?

• Sloth says:

I know a few on here are partial to a bit of champagne so hope the below helps, taken from h u k d…

£26.65 Bollinger which I think is a pretty decent price. Add the voucher and use subscribe and save

• Isolde says:

… and of course pay with Amazon GC bought at Morrisons with a 10% AMEX cashback

• Andrew says:

That’s a pretty decent deal. I have a feeling once the festive season is over there will be a LOT of champagne offers – apparently there’s a worldwide over supply with bars closed, weddings cancelled and our favourite pastime: flying business/first severely reduced.

• BuildTheWall says:

Bizarre. Picked up 10 amazon gift cards at a Morrison’s Daily, only to find out that they don’t accept Amex! Do the individual stores have control over payment methods?

• Andrew says:

Morrisons Daily are a franchise so I guess up to the franchisee to control payment methods. Standard stores will all be fine.

• TGLoyalty says:

Be careful a Morrison’s daily might not be a Morrison’s under this offer.

Was it showing on the map when you click on the offer in the Amex app?

• BuildTheWall says:

Apparently Chase (JPM) has received regulatory approvals to offer financial services in UK, expected early next year.
    Some competition for Amex would be welcome.

• Alan says:

I seem to remember buying melia points during last year’s black friday from amazon in spain

i’ve got the code somewhere, I can’t seem to find it right now though

anyone know what the expiry is?