Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 21st November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/21/the-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-21st-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (262)

• mart says:

another baholidays question
    what would happen if we booked a package – flights and hotel in club then say closer to the time of paying the balance we were a bit poorer and wanted to downgrade to economy how is this calculated?
    feel like we are trying to book 2 years of holidays into 1.

• Anna says:

I don’t think this would be possible as you would be bound by the Ts and Cs at time of booking. You’d probaby have to cancel and rebook in economy.

• s879 says:

New to Airtime Rewards. Used an HFPers code. If someone’s looking for one, here’s mine – QYQHHWMX.

• Kevin says:

Thanks for those who shared the HN beauty code on last sunday that enabled me bought something and just luckily to trigger the Amex offer in the last min.

• Matt says:

Is anybody else having trouble with the new pop-up ads when viewing the site on an iPhone? I normally read it on the laptop, but this morning I opened an article on my phone and the screen was filled with the ad for One&Only Malaysia – the problem is that the ‘X’ in the top right corner of the pop-up is obscured by the phone browser’s address bar at the top, so it’s impossible to get rid of the pop-up, and I can’t read the article. The pop-up should be sized correctly so that it doesn’t fill the whole screen, leaving the top of the pop-up visible below the address bar.

• david says:

Some absolutely mad deals on W hotels in Thailand ! £49 a night for the W in Bangkok and £190 a night inc tax in Samui for a pool villa with this included !-
    Free daily breakfast at The Kitchen Table for two
    – Free upgrade to the next room category (upon confirmation of
    booking)
    – Buy 1 Get 1 Free Spa Treatment at AWAY Spa
    – Free daily meals for all children aged 12 and under when
    ordering from kids menu
    – Free extended check-out: 24 hour stay from the time of
    check-in
    – Free daily THB 500 resort credit per night
    – 30 pct. discount at all Beverage and Food Venues
    – Free daily Bonus Marriott Bonvoy Points 500 per eligible night
    – Free cancellation up until 24 hours in advance of arrival
    – Free upgrade is based on the availability upon booking

• Nigel W says:

What are peoples experiences dealing with Amex and offer issues?

Hit the previously Selfridges offer last week, but instead, it came up on my app as the offer being ‘expired’ and I never got the email confirming I had done it

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Last day of spend get 2 additional points per pound at Essex, Aldi and Superdrug (all instore). Online at Currys and Deliveroo.

Can confirm currys bill very quickly and the extra points posted for me before the transaction went from pending to confirmed.

• John says:

Unusually wide ranging examination of domino effects from Virgin Atlantic contraction.

Includes Manchester Pride as well as Airport, plus Swissport Ireland as well as parent.

Worthwhile read.

• AJA says:

Very interesting article. It’s what I feared would happen when the pandemic started. There are so many companies that are suppliers to the airlines and if no one is flying it follows that suppliers are also impacted.

• Nick says:

Interesting to be reminded of the knock on effect. Whilst we have the suggestion of a vaccine I wonder how much worse it will get for all sectors before it gets better and by the time it does improve will it be too late for many ? I took a part time Job with ONS 12 months ago, lucky as I think had I taken others I would have been laid off or furloughed

• Nick_C says:

Are you doing the International Passenger Surveys? I applied for that when I first retired and lived fairly near to LGW. Took six months for them to complete the recruitment process and get security clearance, by which time we had decided to move out of the area. Money wasn’t great, but the work looked interesting.

• Nick says:

Nick C I am field research survey, so conducting interviews around pensions, spending, education, housing occupancy etc etc. The money is not great BUT, when working you get paid 45p a mile and they pay a significant sum into a pension for me. I know IPS has been non existent due to CV19/no flights, but in my area of work they will be recruiting soon as we are often given other work such as helping out DWP during furlough and taking on work around testing/swabbing.

• BuildTheWall says:

Business will be taken up by other companies. New companies will come. It’s the period in-between that needs government help.