Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 21st November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/21/the-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-21st-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (265)

• John says:

Unusually wide ranging examination of domino effects from Virgin Atlantic contraction.

Includes Manchester Pride as well as Airport, plus Swissport Ireland as well as parent.

Worthwhile read.

• AJA says:

Very interesting article. It’s what I feared would happen when the pandemic started. There are so many companies that are suppliers to the airlines and if no one is flying it follows that suppliers are also impacted.

• Nick says:

Interesting to be reminded of the knock on effect. Whilst we have the suggestion of a vaccine I wonder how much worse it will get for all sectors before it gets better and by the time it does improve will it be too late for many ? I took a part time Job with ONS 12 months ago, lucky as I think had I taken others I would have been laid off or furloughed

• Nick_C says:

Are you doing the International Passenger Surveys? I applied for that when I first retired and lived fairly near to LGW. Took six months for them to complete the recruitment process and get security clearance, by which time we had decided to move out of the area. Money wasn’t great, but the work looked interesting.

• Nick says:

Nick C I am field research survey, so conducting interviews around pensions, spending, education, housing occupancy etc etc. The money is not great BUT, when working you get paid 45p a mile and they pay a significant sum into a pension for me. I know IPS has been non existent due to CV19/no flights, but in my area of work they will be recruiting soon as we are often given other work such as helping out DWP during furlough and taking on work around testing/swabbing.

• BuildTheWall says:

Business will be taken up by other companies. New companies will come. It’s the period in-between that needs government help.

• John says:

20% off BArbs’s luxury cabins on Wednesday in the Mail. Sounds way better than Monese. But as there are no Mail readers here, I’m sure the code will be no use!

Won’t be much off an O-Class though.

• John says:

What would be the best tactic to buy Apple products right now?

WMs cards to Amex 10% plus the VS miles. I think Amazon are only a touch cheaper then Apple and there is always a student discount. JL are the same as Apple except for the warranty.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Personally, I’d go Morrisons (10% off on Amex) to get JL gift cards. See if you can get JL student discount.

Apple student discount is OK, but 10% off would probably work out better in terms of upfront cash.

I think in the many years I’ve had student discount I’ve never used JL so have no clue if they actually do any. If they do could double stack the offers

• Holam says:

first timer… cash advance fees paying IH-Gee off using beardy? yay or nay?

• Steve says:

Bendy limits upgrade question. I asked them for an increase and they’ve first asked me to upload a photo of my ID and a selfie so they know it’s me. Anyone else had this?

• SL says:

Just been to a Morrisons and was told can only top up their own GCs by £100 (at the kiosk) and they can’t be used for petrol…was told by the cashier and supervisor. Am I assuming this is incorrect?

• mark2 says:

Most of their own cards can be topped up to £250 (as it says on the card in front of me). I always use a self-service till, with a chocolate bar temporarily making the weight sufficient.
      You can definitely use them for petrol, although the petrol station cashier may need guidance.
      I hope that you got your MORE points (you get more MORE when the spend the Cgs.

• the_real_a says:

I was told the same about petrol, but there is no physical limitation at the fuel kiosk they can be used for petrol and plenty of people here have used them for fuel. It seems some staff are badly informed or perhaps your local store has implemented local rules.

You can top up the Morrison gift card by any amount thats printed on the card… I cant remember exactly but something like £5-£250.

• TGLoyalty says:

So you decided not to believe the front of the gift card that says up to £250?

• SL says:

I pointed this fact out to them to which they replied the system isn’t showing them the ability to load more than £100. By this point a queue was forming and I decided to stick with just Amazon cards. I have another Morrison’s near work and will try my BA Amex there on self check-out.

Thanks

• the_real_a says:

There is a recent EU legislation that forbids non-registered gift cards to the maximum value of 150euro. That’s why you are unable to purchase – for example – one4all gift cards above £120 for the past few months.

• SL says:

Thanks for the info much appreciated

• TGLoyalty says:

That’s nice but we are no longer in the EU and I don’t believe that legislation made its way in to the UK laws. I have just bought a 250 Amazon card so either they are breaking the rules or the rule isn’t relevant here.

So what you need med to do was pre “other amount” and tap in 25000.

• TGLoyalty says:

Don’t know what happened there!

Anyway you needed to swipe the gift card, wait for the prompt to select a value then press “other amount” then tap in 25000 and stick your gift card on the scale with something else like a chocolate or some shopping to register on the scale.

• the_real_a says:

AMLD5 still stands. This directive took effect ahead of the UK leaving the EU on 31st January. Single retailer gift cards are most likely not regulated however, and its good that this is probably user error.

• Gormlesstraveller says:

The main reason to learn the codes on here of course is to be able to nod knowingly at the in-jokes when hanging around at the canapé table at the next HFP do. I felt a bit of an outsider last time when I didn’t understand everything!

• Lady London says:

yoi got near the canape table? I got b***** all at any of the last 3 do’s. I think some people might have grabbed 3 or 4.

I’d like a canape or a dessert voucher to be handed out alongside the drinka voucher.

• Andrew says:

I did quite nicely out of the Amex Rimowa deal – 7000 MR points posted even before the order arrived, and 8000 Avios tracked on BA store @10/£1. Thought I would update my luggage so when I do eventually get back to the First Wing I can turn up like Joan Collins with a trolley stacked with matching items.

• Russ says:

Thank you for the update Andrew. I have the same offer but waiting for a sale but then totally forgot about the BA store. Hope your Joan Collins look works well for you 😉

• Andrew says:

Hahaha yes! 😎 And I think Rimowa is now one of those brands that has positioned itself that it is never on sale – they used to participate in Harrods 10% off but now they are part of LVMH they are concession and don’t.

• Anna says:

I’m still dithering over that one. I’m tempted but I would have to spend the rest of my life making sure nobody ever found out I’d spent £500 on a suitcase 🤣

• Andrew says:

The Cabin Classic is a beautiful piece and I love using it, you won’t regret it and it will never go out of style. I’ve now bought the checkin version to match (and create aforementioned Joan Collins look). And whilst not free, they have this global repair thing where if you find yourself in Bangkok or wherever with an airline broken wheel, you can pop along to the Rimowa store and they will repair it while you wait – they even have a boutique inside Raffles Singapore.

• TGLoyalty says:

I did look at these but £800 for something that gets thrown about just doesn’t sit right with me.

I’ve gone for a set of Away bags and having had them for a year I’ve had 0 issues.

• Lady London says:

koffer.de is ok for rimowa

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Same! Hahahaha

Also worried about baggage handlers in the know… don’t fancy it mysteriously losing half my stuff.

Might stick with my tactic of a bright colour on a bog standard hardshell case. No one has ever bat an eye lid and never had anything lost or stolen.

Interested if anyone has come up with an approach to get the points for next to nothing tho…

• Andrew says:

I think Rimowa is suitably midrange really – you’d need to be concerned about a Louis Vuitton trunk or something like that attracting too much attention. Rimowa isn’t that exclusive, just nice quality and classic design. Don’t think there’s any real points earning opportunity with this one – just a sweetener/excuse to spend if you want something from the brand.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

I dont think you can call a brand owned that charges atleast £500 for their main pieces mid range. Plus their also owned by LVMH so mid range is way understating it.

It is definitely high end. The brand is unique in that they don’t shove the name in your face but the designs are highly distinctive.

• TGLoyalty says:

@SSS in LVMH world it probably isn’t even mid range!

• Andrew says:

Yes I agree TG – in the LVMH portfolio, they are towards the lower end, but they have made strides in their brand positioning over the last few years and are becoming more aspirational. And to clarify my point Super Secret, I was just meaning that Rimowa won’t stand out to baggage handlers as being something to steal as someone was suggesting as they aren’t that exclusive or expensive in the scheme of things – whereas a LV suitcase costing many times that certainly would. And it was me that originally posted that I’ve just spent £800 on a checkin suitcase to match my carryon so I am a Rimowa fan!!

• dezbez says:

I’m thinking Come Fly With Me! 🙈

• Lady London says:

@SSS is right, whilst mid-rangeish Rimowa has had a certain cult following for a very long time (though if LVMH interfere that much they might ruin it). It’s highly recognisable and definitely aspirational to in-transit luggage rifflers.

• Chris Heyes says:

Andrew I’m just imagining you in full dress and lipstick (or can’t you say that in this day and age lol) don’t forget the hat

• Mike says:

I think (hope) the point of this day and age is you can wear whatever you want without judgement!

Dress, trousers, makeup or not, shaven or not, who cares – you do you and ignore the naysayers…