Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 24th November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/24/the-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-24th-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (294)

• Steve says:

Anyone have any issues with their IHG points posting from the Creation card this month? My mid Nov statement points have still not posted. CC customer services just saying they should be posted “soon”.

• Ash Raj says:

Just checked my account – no CC spend points since end of September !

• Vit says:

Mine seems okay. Points posted today of the month (+/- 1 day) as per usual.

• Ash Raj says:

I spoke to CS and they said its a known issue but they are dealing with it. I was recently charged the annual fee however have not yet received my free night voucher. Any idea how long that takes?

• David says:

I have been waiting for my free night voucher since March, creation have confirmed that I have qualified but they seem unable to get IHG to apply it. I’ve been right through the complaints process and they will not commit to any time they can provide it and have pretty much told me to take them to the financial services ombudsman or wait for an indefinite period of time, which has already been 8 months and counting.

• Aston100 says:

Mine have posted fine.
      On a related note, I have achieved Spire.
      Is there any reason NOT to accept the Hertz benefit?

• Crafty says:

Mine posted today for both Black and White cards.

Hilton Barclaycard is late again, though.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Mine posted today

• Ja says:

My statement was there first thing this morning and the points landed in IHG around lunchtime

• Steve says:

Sounds like a complete mixed bag. mine are over 10 days late

• Hotelier says:

Has anyone been recently offered any retention bonus on the BAPP card for not cancelling once reached the companion voucher? Still 5 months till the new calendar year and can’t really justify paying the fee. Thanks in advance.

• DodgyDCF says:

Just cancel it…BAPP probably the worst card for retention offers

• Aston100 says:

Last month, we were offered one additional Avios per pound spent for the next 3 months.

• Lev441 says:

I got one additional Avios per £1 spent for three months. Was loaded on my account yesterday

• John says:

Same here. 1 additional point for 3 months

• Emjay says:

Cancelled card yesterday, rep only offered/recommended to downgrade me to free card as if I had a companion voucher I would need to pay taxes etc as companion voucher T&C state you needed to pay them with BA Amex card. Declined downgrading to free card and cancelled there and then, luckily day before renewal fee was due to be taken from card.

• Mo says:

Does anybody know if Virgins flexible change policy applies to their redemption bookings? And then if you booked under this sale, will you have to stump up the extra Virgin points?

Specifically I’m hoping if I do a test and it takes longer than expected for whatever reason, I can maybe move the flight back a day.

• Travel Strong says:

I would put your question to virgin in writing via whatsapp, then if they give you good news you have a record to use in the future.

However I do not think they are bound to do it, given that the words of the flexible change policy are all about changes (which are allowed on redeption fare rules anyway) and changes in cash prices (not changes in points prices).

The redemption fare rules are quite clear that you can make changes, but I would expect an issue when your change requires more miles than you needed during the sale (unless the change is due to them cancelling the flight).

• Vit says:

Anyone managed to transfer Avios from IB Plus to BAEC. My IB plus is well over 3 months old and managed to get to Combine my Avios option but keep getting the message below:

Combine my Avios was unsuccessful
    Combine my Avios is not available at the moment. Please try again later.

Cheers,
    Vit

• Lady London says:

Generally ‘pull’ out of IB works better than ‘push’. Lots of people have to do it in two stages via Aer Lingus or, IIRC, Avios program.

• Genghis says:

Are you in a BAEC HHA? Login to AerClub / Vueling and pull from IB and then push to BAEC

• Vit says:

Thank you both. Yes, I am BAEC HHA. Been looking at Aerclub method but have not tried yet — will give it a go. 🙂

• Vit says:

Just did the transfer as suggested above. Works like a treat! 🙂

• Rim says:

I had a Ryanair flight which was 4 hours delayed in August 2020 due plane maintenance issue. I have started the claim, EU261, 400 euros compensation. Ryanair send me the papers to claim through my own insurance. I filed MCOL, which has returned with Ryanair disclaiming any responsibility as unbeknown to me it was a Buzz Flight operating for Ryanair. Where do I go from here? Thanks for any info/ideas.

• Lady London says:

ask the court? if where contract lies matters for EU261 or if its just operating airline.

I’d be that annoyed, if the court says Ryanair might get away with thus, to re-lodge the claim naming both Ryanair and this other airline as defendants and let the court sort it out.

If you’re on a flight operated by another airline, am pretty sure the airline you bought from has to tell you it’s operated by another airline and which airline it is, at the time you purchase. Look at your confirmation, you may find Ryanair is in breach in which case ask the court if you need to file the claim again naming both, or not. I dont think Ryanair’s defence will hold up if they didnt inform you in a clear and obvious way.

Please let us know how it turns out.

• John says:

Buzz is fully owned by Ryanair.

• Charlieface says:

Doesn’t help you. You need to list Buzz as the defendant.

Their official name is Ryanair Sun. Their address in Poland is:
          Ryanair Sun S.A.
          ul. Cybernetyki
          2102-677
          Warszawa

I have no idea if you can claim against them in England, you may have to issue a claim in Poland

• Bill says:

When Stobart operated flybe flights, flybe would forward all claims to Stobart to deal with (which they did to be fair)

• the_real_a says:

Or just use Bott and Co. Sometimes its just not worth the effort Vs the claim fee.

They have got me compensation now 3 times when i`d reached the limit of my legal knowledge on tricky cases.

• Annabel says:

I have curve blue and a daily limit of £750 ATM limit. Am I right in thinking only £200 per month would be fee free? Thank you

• Anna says:

It’s technically £200 pm per undelying card but people have reported withdrawing more without being charged.

• AlexT says:

If you withdraw internationally, the first 200 is free, everything over that amount you get charged for. I don’t believe this was the case a year ago, but is definitely happening now.

• Aston100 says:

Apologies, this is one of those generic questions that probably gets posted on here all the time and which I really would have looked up before posting had there been a proper forum here with search facility.

I have flights booked for Easter next year. Avios + cash.
    I’m not comfortable with the travel dates.
    I would like to change this to end of May 2022 (half term). I don’t think this is possible though.
    The options seem to be to take an FTV, but this is valid until end of April 2022 (a good 6 weeks too early for me), or apply for a refund and lose £35 per person.
    Or, do nothing and hope BA cancel.

Are those 3 my only options?
    I’m ignoring change of dates/destination as there would be a fare difference, assuming reward seats open up – and we don’t really want to do this journey in 2021 anyway (already have other travel booked in 2021 which may potentially get disrupted and pushed back too, so danger of overcrowding our travel calendar in 2021).

Currently, it sounds like losing £35pp is the best option.
    Happy to hear anything I’ve overlooked.

Thanks.

• Aston100 says:

I have no idea how the word ‘Thanks’ ended up in the penultimate sentence. I feel I added that add the very end of the post…

• Anna says:

I’m in the same position – I have 2 long haul trips booked for Easter (plan A and plan B) but neither may go ahead! I think if BA cancels your flight you’re in with a chance of getting it moved, but you will have to get round their claim that they can only re-ticket you within 12 months of the original booking date.

I think I’m just going to cancel if necessary and take the hit on the cancellation fees. It will still be a lot cheaper than actually going on either of the holidays and the return of £2k (or £4k if I cancel both trips) from BA will sweeten the pill somewhat!

• Jamies says:

Has anyone else found some BA Shopping portal sites are a bit slow to take back the avios when you return an item? Had a refund paid 3 weeks ago on a product bought from a fast-avios-paying merchant and still those avios are still showing as confirmed in my account…?

• Aston100 says:

There are reports on this site of Avios clawbacks months later.
      Someone claimed to have had a clawback for no apparent reason two years after a purchase.

• dezbez says:

I had something clawed back over 2 years later! It wasn’t even a return. The retailer (can’t remember who) went bust so BA removed them from my account. I did complain though, and as a ‘token of goodwill’ they returned them.