Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 24th November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/24/the-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-24th-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (294)

• Martha says:

I purchased a amazon GC using Morris GC but got declined even though came off Morris GC balance. Store manager was hopeless. Said I should speak to amazon.
    What do I do?

• TGLoyalty says:

The store should sort it out. either give you a refund or replace the GC

• Harry T says:

Do you have a receipt to show the gift card was activated? You should have been given one along with your purchase receipt. Morrison’s should refund you if it’s not activated. Chargeback could be a last resort.

• Hanif says:

Not sure if already covered, Bonvoy has 60% Bonus buy points With increased limits. Ends tomorrow

• Peter K says:

Data point. Just rang Amex and asked for any retention offers on my Gold Business card…the answer was nothing available.
    They pointed out that they were offering double value on MR points as statement credit. I pointed out this was still less than Capital on Tap… but nothing doing.
    English accent so I assume it was the Brighton office.

• Njbdevon says:

British Airways are furloughing cabin crew until end Jan. Read into it what you may ….

• Holam says:

IHG (bendy fronted) payments to HMRC getting declined despite more than enough credit limit remaining. I manually cleared the balance on IHG a couple of days ago which has now reflected in the app so it should be available to spend.. anyone else seeing this?

• Ben says:

Try again tomorrow – I had some issues with my IHG yesterday, but went through fine today..

• Rahaney says:

There’s normally an amount limit too to transactions through IHG/Creation… some have reported anywhere between 100-300 per transaction. Let us know how you get on.

• Jonathan says:

Try again tomorrow. Normally a 24 hour delay for me between balance reducing after a payment & the available credit reflecting the lower balance.

• Aston100 says:

What is the best usage for the Amex Amazon offer of 2 extra MR per £ spent at Amazon?
    Would this work on topping up Amazon account / giftcard balance?

Thanks.

• Harry T says:

I think it should work topping up the gift card balance – try £10 and see!

Personally, I reckon it’s a better deal to buy Morrison’s gift cards and use them on Amazon gift cards, or buy Amazon gift cards from Morrison’s, with the Amex 10% off. And I already have three points per pound on my Gold card, so would earn five points per pound on spend there – this is more like a 5% discount though if you value an MR at 1p.

• Aston100 says:

Harry, I only had the Morrisons offer on 1/5 Amex cards. I used it recently, but they had no Amazon vouchers at the time.
        I wasn’t thinking properly and did not buy any Morrisons vouchers either.

• Harrier25 says:

I’ve discovered today that it will work with every purchase from Amazon until 23rd December. I purchased £1,000 worth of Amazon credit yesterday and received 3,000 points today. Purchased a 4th Gen Echo Dot this afternoon and have received the…”thanks for using your Card at Additional points at Amazon” again. Happy Days!

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Works for any purchase and any top up. I got the email after both. So should get the points thru soon.

I would buy the GCs as Morrisons for 10% discount but can’t get there and have given up.

• Harry T says:

Interested in any thoughts on South Africa (Cape Town) in October 2021.

I booked a BA Holiday in the 747 sale for January (the £999 Club World fares from the UK) – NCL-LHR-CPT-LHR-NCL with car hire. BA have cancelled one of my flights in January so I have the option to move the itinerary to October 2021 (a year from booking date). Given South Africa is not on the travel corridor list and I don’t waste five days of leave on test and release quarantine, we are thinking of moving the holiday or taking a refund, rather than changing flights in Jan. Would anyone recommend October for a visit? It’s our first time.

• YC says:

Visited both in October and December – both times weather was totally fine. I would also highly recommend looking at the MORE Family hotels/safaris. Some very high end stuff but they are running a black friday deal (from Thursday) – 50% off if you can confirm dates or 35% flexi voucher type deal

• Pauline says:

Which flight was cancelled and when were you due to fly? I have flights end January (Edi lhr cot jnb lhr Edi) and the reason for travelling has been cancelled so I am hoping one will be cancelled.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Your will probably be cancelled mid December if it does get cancelled.

• Harry T says:

NCL to LHR 7th Jan

• Harry T says:

They are buggering around with the NCL schedule far more than the EDI one, so any flights on that route seem to get cancelled due to change of timing or cutting a day.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

My only thoughts are:
      1) Lucky you!
      2) I wouldn’t cancel, that is a bargin price for those flights
      3) Buy a load of hotel points for that lovely hotel on the coast (I think it was either a Radisson or Hilton)

• Harry T says:

Thanks! The Bonvoy hotel rates are actually pretty decent right now and I’ll be Titanium, so should be worth staying loyal. The Radisson does look nice though.

• Michael C says:

October is a lovely time of year , Harry – spring-like. Massive favourite of mine at that time of year is a weekend in Franschhoek, whether or not you happen to like a glass of wine!

• Harry T says:

Thanks, I’m looking at doing at least a couple of days in Franschhoek.

• Chef says:

Oh no, I was hoping to visit Franschhoek in March Harry, I’ll start making alternative plans

• Aston100 says:

I’ve had 3 lots of cancellations for South Africa thus far.
      It is as if I am not fated to go there ever!

Gonna try for Christmas 2021, though I suspect reward availability is going to be as rare as the steak I had last night, which practically moo’d at me.

• Harry T says:

Sorry to hear that, Aston. It’s a hard route to get an Avios premium flight on too! I gave up and paid cash – that sale sold out in about two hours too.

• Trish says:

We are regular visitors to South Africa in November but have also been on holiday in October. October in the Cape the weather can be a bit variable, but if you are visiting the Kruger park or any of the private reserves its a really nice time to visit. Not as hot as later in their summer.

• Harry T says:

Thanks 🙂

• Tazzy says:

I’ve been to SA 5 times. The hotel chains are generally not great. I highly recommend 12 apostles, angala(near paarl in wine lands) and the oyster box in Umhlanga. It is my favourite destination for food, wine, scenery and activity. Plus the lack of jet lag is a real plus. October can be changeable, but generally good.

• H says:

Does anyone know if Morrisons (or Tesco) sell Selfridges gift cards? Or if there is anywhere to pick these up at a discount?

• Super Secret Stuff says:

A large Morison’s is your best bet. Tesco’s doesn’t have an offer at the moment??

• Sina says:

Either Amex offers, or if you have access to perks or xexek through your employer?

• Holam says:

never seen selfridge gift cards on sale in morrisons, unless you can route spend via a third party gc they sell like one4all or similar?

• Harry T says:

Don’t think they sell them at Morrison’s. But from a selfridges store with the Amex 30 off 100 offer when they open?