Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 24th November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/24/the-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-24th-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (294)

• FFoxSake says:

Support tickets no longer visible in Curve app for me.
    I have been awaiting a response on one for 5 days, but now that one and some previous tickets are not showing at all… just me, or is the machine stopping?

• Chef says:

Bollinger dropped to £30 at the Chat community’s current favourite supermarket (less 16% in my case)

• Super Secret Stuff says:

We have many tho! Which one?
      Very expensive?
      Current Amex offer?
      Owned by the people?
      Avios or Virgin?
      Sweet Nectar?

• Chef says:

Morrison’s, 10 % one off discount with the Brighton outfit and 6% of points from the bearded one.
        I felt obliged to include 2 x £250 gift cards in the purchase

• Gringo says:

Anyone know whether Amex is bringing Shop Small back this December? We’re only a couple of weeks out and there’s usually communication about this. The small shops really need the support!

• Holam says:

my money is on the return of shop small starting 5th december, running for 2 weeks as usual

• Andy Shutter says:

I bet you a free £5 in return for £10 of shopping that you are right, just that it was not politically sound to promote in a potentially locked down environ.

• mark2 says:

In a merchant this afternoon used American Express hand sanitiser.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Yeah, they randomly sent my business (and presumably lots of other small businesses that accept Amex) a free one a couple of months ago.

• Holam says:

one of my favourite shop small stops, Fashion & Media News, had a bottle of amex hand sanitiser when I visited in the summer. First time I had seen one

• johnny_c-l says:

I bought stamps a couple of years ago at that shop and they turned out to be fakes, so be careful with what you buy from him!

• Tuppy says:

20% off all BA flights (except First Class) ex UK in tomorrow’s Daily Mail.
    Offer closes this Sunday – may come in handy for some.

Terms and conditions: Offer available on all new flight bookings from UK airports, subject to availability. Travel must be completed by November 14, 2021. Valid on Any Euro Traveller, World Traveller, World Traveller Plus, Club Europe and Club World  flights from UK airport to any destination. Excludes first class cabin. Bookings must be made by 23:59 on Sunday, November 29. For full terms and conditions, visit ba.com/dailymail

• Andy Shutter says:

What does this “in Daily Mail” mean? A generic voucher that is advertised in the press? Or is it specific to readers of that awful rag?

• Mike says:

It’s a superb newspaper. You should be grateful they’re questioning the Gov over this whole crisis with facts and to get Britain moving again. Or do you prefer to stroke your points balance than use them?

• Aston100 says:

I love the daily mail comments section these days. That bunch seem to alternate between Boris being a hero for standing up to Europe, and Boris being the anti Christ for keeping everyone locked down
          So much inconsistency and u turning. Its great entertainment until you realise they are allowed to breed and to vote, and then suddenly its not funny anymore 🙁

• Bazza says:

Great paper, only other one I read is the Guardian – for the laughs!

Such pathetic attempts at manipulation

• David says:

This is a joke, isn’t it Mike?

• Rob says:

The Mail is actually being surprisingly aggressive in attacking the Government over corona restrictions.

• TUPPY says:

Have a look and see for yourself!
        I only posted this here in case it is of interest to other HFP readers.
        Rob and most of the HFP contributors have been helpful to me in the past, I just thought I may be able to give something back – maybe my thinking is incorrect if I get responses like yours.
        Sorry, I’ll just keep things to myself in future.

• Vit says:

Anyone managed / get to use Esso £5 off £30 spend as yet? I just filled up mine at a “listed” station but paid at cashier till rather than pay at pump. Did not receive the triggered email. Just wonder if I should have paid at pump instead…

• Andy says:

Have got flights booked with BA to Edinburgh from the 20th to the 27th December. Been booked for months. Was going to stay with my Brother which I can only do now for the 23rd to 27th. Anyone know if I’ll still be allowed to fly? Guess I can book a hotel for three nights first of all

• Anna says:

There’s nothing in the new regulations to prevent you from travelling anywhere, unless Nicola Sturgeon extends the ban on entering Scotland and closes all the hotels in the area you’re visiting. There’s a chance your flight will be cancelled, though.

• Andrew says:

I’ve also been reading the rules. I understand the 23rd/27th rule of 3 households.

It’s not clear what happens either side of it though. If you’re single, aren’t you forming part of a bubble with your brother’s family? In which case 20th to 27th would be fine.

• Andy says:

I’m travelling with my partner so while we’re fine under the regs for the 23rd to the 27th it just means we’re not for the three proceeding days. Although it does seem if we’re spending 4 days together then an extra Three beforehand shouldn’t be the end of the world. I guess I’ll wait for further guidance.

• Anna says:

There are no legal restrictions on travelling from England – the guidance is already out there. Scotland may extend or strengthen its current lockdown restrictions past December 11th but your brother will presumably have his ear to the ground on that front. Ron goes through the post Dec 2nd scenario on a separate thread today. If anything, the legislation might end up being even weaker if enough MPs rebel over it.

• StevieKicks says:

Accor acquiring Ennismore (Gleneagles, Hoxton, etc.)