Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 25th November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/25/the-hfp-chat-thread-wednesday-25th-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (261)

• Andrew says:

Has anyone bought a car from a BMW dealer in a way that earns points, ideally not Billhop’s 3%? Back in the day I’d have paid 1% to get similar value back in points but that’s not hugely legal these days.

• EwanG says:

I recall BJ said he’d used his Amex when buying a car at Eastern/Western Group out at Newbridge, Edinburgh. There is a BMW dealership there…

• BJ says:

Correct, and another Edinburgh reader confirmed it was also ok at the Volkswagen dealership. Suspect it’ll fine at all Eastern Western showrooms in Edinburgh and Newbridge. Don’t ask, just pop the card in and hope for the best.

• Genghis says:

I paid for mine at a VW dealership in SE London all on credit card. Negotiated it right at end.

• Sina says:

Are you financing or cash? If financing, you can pay deposit and monthly payments on credit cards and amex over phone!

• Andrew says:

Thanks everyone. Cash in the end, and found a deal that was worth forgoing points for. Can still pay by debit card so need to work out how to use Curve/IHG to best effect.

• Andrew says:

Anyone with the Mr Porter £100 back on Amex who hasn’t redeemed the offer yet, BF 30% just started.

• ankomonkey says:

E-mail from Sean Doyle yesterday mentioned that feeling one gets when offered a cup of tea by BA cabin crew. For me, on ET, that feeling is ‘you tight [email protected]$tards want me to pay for some brown water?’

Sean’s attempt at making me nostalgic for BA service/product didn’t quite work…

• Chris Heyes says:

ankomonkey OOOooo So disappointed I thought Sean had sent me a personal E-mail lol lol

• Andrew says:

Ah, true nostalgia.

The desire for a cup of tea, served from vacuum jugs that are used interchangeably to serve tea and coffee. Never quite sure if you’ve been served tea flavoured coffee or coffee flavoured tea

• Lady London says:

lol one of the two reasons there are very few airlines I’ll take tea or coffee on

• BJ says:

That what it was? Always thought it was consomme myself but I couldn’t figure out why it came after the ‘meal’.

• the_real_a says:

Remember BA`s budget “Go” airline? They did coffee very well and made it a key differentiator… Highly recommend Barbara Cassani book on the creation of GO btw…

• Ben says:

Apologies if mentioned already – I have decent Etihad offer on Amex plat. £250 off £500 spend. Spend by 31/12/20

• Peggerz says:

Good morning everyone,

I have just completed first year of using the IHG Premium CC and hit £10k target for yesterday’s anniversary. The free night loaded onto my account yesterday too, which I thought was very good.
    On checking the app on my phone the booking date was 24/11/2020 – 12/6/2022. But it then referred to the free night only being available at a small selection of Kimpton hotels, bookable only until March 2021. Having now checked the website, the free night offer is for all IHG hotels with booking dates the same. I will contact IHG to confirm that the website is correct, the app a glitch.

• Anna says:

I get all sorts of weirdness on the IHG website, the most common being a different set of stay details attached to a particular booking! Logging out and in again usually sorts it out.

I don’t know if you saw my last update re The George, in brief I managed to negotiate a very good suite upgrade for our wedding anniversary next March in return for not making a fuss about having to cancel (instead of move) our cheap points stay next month. I think the Club Intercontinental Experience may well have been withdrawn by then though.

• EwanG says:

@Peggerz I would ignore the app and what it is saying about the Kimpton Inner Circle. I have the same message as you in the app (with no restrictions showing on the website) and I can make dummy bookings in a Kimpton beyond end March. Previous UK credit card free nights have not had any restrictions on use, unlike those vouchers issued in the US.

• Peggerz says:

Thanks @Anna & @EwanG for your replies. I have also found that my Amb reward night is rightly showing as redeemable on the 1st page of the IHG website, but is showing as ‘expired’ on the Free Night page. What a website. Sheesh!
      @Anna, it’s good to know you got something organised for the IC George.

• Zoe says:

I really quick question, on BA if you book Club Europe outbound and economy back do you get the bigger luggage allowance both ways? Thanks in advance

• Rob says:

Here’s Rhys on (English language) Chinese TV if anyone is interested! https://youtu.be/CMU2x8UcjGE

• YC says:

Anyone know if you can use a GBP FTV to book a flight to the UK (BA site prices it in JOD). May save me a long call to BA!

• YC says:

Update – BA phones were quick (everyone must be calling virgin!). Agent requoted in GBP and applied voucher. Extremely fast service !

• Zoe says:

Spend over 2 hours on the phone to get my Virgin booking, got an email from Plusnet today £12 plus bill (landline) calls over an hour are not in inclusive minutes.