Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 27th November

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/27/the-hfp-chat-thread-friday-27th-november/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (323)

• Vit says:

Nothing in my inbox as well.

• The real John says:

At the end of January I did £200 and then in early February I did £300 and was not charged. Usually do £200 a month although I stopped bothering in June as it became too difficult to get into a bank to deposit the cash and I opened an NS&I account because it had the best interest rate…

• Rob says:

Have you had this card before? If so, have you fully deleted the old one from your account? This can be an issue for Amex.

• Mco says:

How to fully delete a card? Is that just by deleting a card from online services?

• TGLoyalty says:

Sometimes cards don’t add until a few days later, other times not at weekends.

And unfortunately some just won’t add at all. No sense behind it from what I can tell.

• Rob says:

Yes. If you have a card showing as ‘cancelled’ it will stop you adding back the same card type.

• TGLoyalty says:

You sure that was it ending and not just you anniversary so when you get a payout for this year?

• Chrisasaurus says:

Is everyone’s anniversary the same? Im assuming we mostly all have the month from when the virgin card was killed?

• BuildTheWall says:

Didnt work for me on mobile, but worked on desktop. As TGLoyalty says, its a hit and miss.

• Harry T says:

So I ordered some clothes from Mr Porter but they are unfortunately all the wrong size and need to be returned. I triggered the “spend £350, get £100 back” offer on my Amex Plat. If I return the items, and they refund me to the card, will I have the £100 clawed back? If I return them after the offer period ends, will this make a difference?

• TGLoyalty says:

Likely it’ll be clawed back as they’ll reverse the original transaction. You can get away with it when you buy online and return Instore etc.

no difference if it’s before or after it ends.

• YC says:

See if you can get a Mr.Porter credit to account rather than a refund to card

• Harry T says:

Thanks – I can, but don’t really want £500 of their credit that only lasts two months. Good idea though!

• Kevin says:

How about ask for a credit note to be issued to your account that can be used in the future.

• Carol says:

When I return some items to Harvey Nichols they took back the £30 so I assume Mr Porter would do a similar thing.

• meta says:

When is the deadline to return? If it is 2-3 months after the Amex offer expiry date (unlikely I know), the system probably won’t recognise it. It usually works for me, though not always.

• Metty says:

Amusing ‘doh!’ moment.

Flushed with success of 10% off Amex Morrisons offer I returned yesterday and bought 5x &200 Apple gift vouchers as wanted to buy an iPad with 9x BA miles via estore and Apple £80 credit. What I failed to compute is that I bought App Store cards, not Apple store and you can’t use App/iTunes in the Apple store. So now have £1000 of iTunes credit….doh! That’ll take 3 years to burn through. I’ll stick to Amazon in future.