Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 2nd December

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/12/02/the-hfp-chat-thread-wednesday-2nd-december/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (296)

• Magic Mike says:

Hi Chatterers – any data points on how long it is taking Virgin Money to do chargebacks these days? I’ve been waiting just over a month so far since I posted them all the documentation for the refund of a four figure sum from a bunch of charlatan COVID chancers (no names, yet). Virgin still have my money.

Compares dismally with Amex who refunded another chargeback request within hours. (I appreciate they may yet clawback the money from me if the chargeback fails)

• Paul says:

Seems HMRC have blocked curve and miles and more cards for paye payments now.
    Works fine for Corp Tax and VAT payments.
    Any IT gurus out there know a hack to make it work for PAYE?

• Jonathan says:

Still working for me (albeit only a £10 payment as a test). Are you Metal & Personal?

• Chrism20 says:

IC Edinburgh George is now closed until January 16th, have just had a call offering to move my BOGOF night to the Kimpton.

My BOGOF expires on Jan 1st and as I live less than a mile from the George I only booked it as a last resort following eight cancellations over Park Lane, O2, Blythswood and The Clocktower.

• Anna says:

I think you’ve got very grounds to ask for it to be extended! I’m currently trying to get through to Avanti to try and change the date of my train tickets to Edinburgh as we had to cancel our George stay too, I’ve been sent from pillar to post over the past week and just been told today. I have to go to the original departure station prior to the departure time to chnage them, which I now can’t do!! Fortunately our BOGOF certificates are valid till next October so I’ve re-booked for March.

• Chrism20 says:

Will drop them an email and ask if it can be extended but I’m not hopeful. Re Avanti have they stopped letting you make changes online? Virgin used to let you do it if you had booked online.

• BP says:

I have a reward night booked at the Kimpton on Hogmanay but I’m fully expecting it to be closed too.

• Jonny says:

Has anyone had experience upgrading the HSBC Premier Mastercard to the Premier World Elite card?

Can’t hold both and can’t upgrade online so will have to call. Is the process relatively pain-free and non-intrusive?

• Paul says:

You need a paper application to go from basic Premier to WE – call them and they will post it out to you.

• KBuffett says:

Is anyone here on HSBC Jade? Is the service any good?

• Rob says:

I am. I have never got anything from it, except a phone call every few months asking if I want anything. The TEN concierge / event / offers service is as useless as everything involved TEN. Never been invited to any events, interesting or not.

To be fair, I only joined accidentally because we were moving some assets around and I had a chunk of cash in HSBC for a period which triggered it.

You will save the £195 annual fee on the World Elite credit card.

• KBuffett says:

I might just do it to get the World Elite. Like you, I’m quite liquid so I will try and turbocharge some point generation.

• Rob says:

Given current interest rates, £195 saved on the card fee is a decent return on the cash 🙂

HSBC has Euros of mine, and no-one pays interest on Euro deposits so there is no cash loss from keeping it there.

• Lawro says:

TEN really are useless – the concierge service has gone so far downhill since they replaced Quintessentially.

In addition the main WE card fee back, you also get any additional cardholder fees refunded which is helpful for lounge access etc.

• Juno says:

You need £500K for Jade?

• Rob says:

Yes, or equivalent in another currency.

• KBuffett says:

I’m also going to go for the CitiBank / Harrods gift card offer if it’s still on.

• Peter K says:

After all the discussion on curve and HMRC I just tried a Self Assessment payment with curve (metal) of over £1k and it went through perfectly fine, with no fees from HMRC and with CoT underlying.

• KBuffett says:

Is your Curve Metal a Personal or Business card?

• Peter K says:

Before upgrading it said commercial on my card, since being metal it doesn’t (or business).

• Lyn says:

I don’t know if this has already been mentioned, but it may be possible to extend the expiration of American Airlines miles with their current “register and unwrap your gift” promotion. It is available under promotions once you log in. Don’t expect much, only 100 miles in our case, but could be useful for some to extend their existing miles.

• Blindman says:

Leaving a simple comment on the Award Wallet blog triggers 5 points which extends expiration of AA miles.

You do of course have to be registered with Award wallet.

• Steven says:

Hilton honours query – if you book say three rooms at the same time for the same night, do you get treble night credits or is it only treated as a single night credit? Might be a struggle to hit Platinum for the end of the year but considering booking an extra room to get some more credits. Thanks

• Bigmaggot says:

Assume u mean Diamond? You only get 1 night towards status. You get points for 2 rooms.

• Allan says:

If I don’t hit 30 nights this year and finish them off next year (albeit without the double nights bonus) will that status also last to 2023 or do you need to hit it before Jan 2021?

• Rob says:

Yes. You’d get the rest of the current year, all the next year (22) and 3 months of the following year (23) as per normal.

• Allan says:

Great, so good to make the most of the cheap day rates and double nights but not essential to hit 30.

• Paul says:

8k just spent at morrisons

• Alex says:

Jesus! That’s a LOT of vouchers(I assume vouchers) – what was the mix? Any plans on how to spend?

• memesweeper says:

Wow. Makes my 1k25 * 2 look amateurish.

• Aston100 says:

Did you get any comments from staff?

• Holam says:

that’s very good going, well done! I’ve had death stares and manager has been called before after trying to buy a few hundred pounds worth!

• KBuffett says:

I stopped at £2500
      Well done

• Lev441 says:

Just done £2k. Used self service and did a mix of Morrison’s and Amazon. All activated fine. Pretty sure the offers will come back in the next few weeks anyways. Pre covid the discounts would appear on a monthly basis between 5,7 and 10%.

• aDifferentSimon says:

I’m only at 25k annual imit on curve, I’ve not used the morrisons 10% (working from home lethargy) and have a zero balance since the summer on virgin, feel happy if I get 2 amex shop smalls and cancelled hilton card weeks before it was pulled.
      I’m doing it wrong!

• Jonathan says:

Assuming you did 32 x £250 Morrison’s then that’s quite ballsy unless you’re happy to do all your grocery shopping at Morrison’s for the foreseeable! Definitely not beyond the realms of possibility that they pull 3rd party GC’s (or the decent ones like JL & Amazon which will have <1% margin on them) if they twig what’s been going on.

• Lady London says:

or could change the rules (and mean it by programming the tills). That is my worry as I watch you cleverer people than me hoovering up.

Good luck to all of you though it has cheered me up to hear of your exploits during Covid.

As you run down these huge amounts please keep us informed (discreetly, of course !)