Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 12th December

Comments (215)

• Maciek says:

Funny thing I’ve noticed on my HSBC World Elite MC statement – “Interest on Standard Balance (Cash) at 1.456% per month: 0.11”. I can’t figure out which transaction they treat as cash :/

• Paul Pogba says:

Can you use a Amex 2-4-1 voucher to Upgrade with Avios?

• S says:

Anyone still seeing the HMRC charge (not Fronted charge) when using Curve personal card?

• MilesOnPoint says:

Heathrow Terminal 3

Does anyone know when Heathrow Terminal 3 might re-open? Nothing on Heathrow website but the priority pass app shows the Aspire lounge T3 “reopening 31st March 2021” but take that with a heavy pinch of salt. Pining for the CX lounge but BA may not move any short haul back to T3 in current circs..

• ChrisC says:

How long is a piece foof string?

It won’t open until T5 and T2 become so busy that they have to open T3 to move some airlines back there again.

Given that airlines have already requested slot waivers for next years summer season they are obviously not planning on operating anywhere near a full schedule for quite some time yet so no need for T3 to reopen.

• Jonathan says:

Wouldn’t expect the Cathay lounge to reopen immediately when T3 does either. It’ll be BA only to start.

• TGLoyalty says:

Cathay still fly from Heathrow.

• Jonathan says:

They do but they’re also in dire financial strates so as & when they move back to T3 I wouldn’t expect them to reopen the lounge to cater for 1 flight/day when there won’t be hundreds of BA passengers generating them additional income.

• Tarmohamed says:

Planning Emirates or etihad next month. Etihad require nearly twice the miles for an upgrade. Any suggestions?

• Rob says:

Aspire may be correct. The Summer timetable starts that week and this is the time when we should see a big ramp-up in services. This doesn’t mean BA will be back in T3 but T3 may well open.

• MilesOnPoint says:

Thanks Rob, one to keep an eye on I suppose. I suspect Virgin will be keen to get their Club House @ T3 reopen given that its such a big draw to flying Upper. Sounds as if Oneworld presence at T3 may not ramp up until Autumn next year at the earliest though given capacity available in T5.

• Richie says:

Hi – wondered if anyone could help.
    BA has just cancelled my award flight next summer (PMI-Man). It looks like they’ve cancelled the whole route, or at least for July. I’ve already booked hotels etc, so can only go on that day. Is BA under an obligation to get me to the destination even via another airline? – i.e. i don’t want a refund (the points expire as they’re OB points), I just want to get a flight on that day… there are Easyjet/Ryanair flights available, so could I ask BA to put me on those flights instead? Not sure what my options are.
    Cheers for any help.

• Tracey says:

Do BA ever put people on the low cost carriers? They are more likely to agree to route you on Iberia via Madrid.

• Richie says:

Ah, ok. Thank-you!

• Lady London says:

Ask for Madrid or via London if the flights are running as that prolongs your existing protection if something else happens. LCC’s are a bit more painful to deal with if they cancel flights and BA has more ways of getting you places if need be.

• Charlieface says:

If he can get a direct flight he has the right to it. But it’s like pulling hen’s teeth to get BA to agree.

• Lady London says:

in terms of willingness here, BA , will most readily do, in descending order
            – nudge you into a voucher
            – provide routing on BA via or ftom LHR or EDI
            – possibly on IB via MAD (if flightx running)
            – try to get yoi tp take a refund
            – you buy your own ticket – as LCCs mostly cheaper they will have to pay much less and to get even that you’ll have to sue them (mcol)
            – pay you a direct ticket on anyone not covered above – plus you will still have to sue them

• Jonathan says:

If you take a reroute then that’s their obligations satisfied so think carefully about what you want. Personally I’d not add an additional 2-3 hours to a 2 1/2 hour flight just to stay on BA or Iberia. If you live south of Manchester I’d consider just flying direct from Heathrow or embarking on the inevitable legal battle to secure a reroute on EasyJet or Ryanair.

• Anna says:

I’ve had this with MAN-NCE next August, BA just moved me to the service via LHR without notifying me! It’s not the end of the world as it’s one way & I can book an LCC back but it is quite a bit of extra hassle.

• Richie says:

great, thanks for all this – really appreciate.. I’ll have a think before i go into battle with BA!

• Stagger Lee says:

Anyone know the plans for reopening the Caymans? I’ve got a trip booked in Feb that I fully expect to be cancelled but was kind of hoping I might be able to push it back to May. I would then push back my Canada trip to September as they have already cancelled one of the flights meaning i shoud be able to do that.

Both were booked with the half price sale so I really don;t want to beook and recancel

• Stagger Lee says:

I really am crap at typing. I meant I don’t want to cancel and rebook as I’d have to fork out more Avios

• Blenz101 says:

I understood that the Cayman islands were already undertaking a soft reopening and that provided you have a negative covid test 72 hours before arrival that you can enter.

I would expect your trip to go ahead.

• Anna says:

Not the case at all. You have to currently apply for permission to travel and have an authorised location to complete a mandatory 14 day quarantine. The only flights going are government-organised ones you can only book once you get approval to travel and apparently cost around £1k one way in economy!

• Anna says:

Stagger you need to look at the Cayman News Service website on a regular basis to keep abreast of developments. They are expecting vaccines at some point and are talking about admitting more visitors once their population has been vaccinated, but visitors will also need to be vaccinated if they want to avoid the 14 day quarantine. We have trips booked for April & August & don’t know if either will happen!

• Anna says:

So you really need to hope your flight is cancelled if you want to avoid the fee.

• Stagger Lee says:

Thanks Anna, that’s really appreciated. I have bookmarked that site now so will keep a regular eye on it.

With all that info I can’t see anyway that February is going to happen and May looks pretty doubtful as well. If they don’t cancel the flights then I will just have to accept the cancellation fee loss, which would be a small penalty in the grand scheme of things.

Looks like my February trip will be somewhere in the UK instead (Tiers permitting)

Cheers

• Anna says:

Yes small penalty but you would be quite unlucky if yours turns out to be one of the repatriation flights and doesn’t get cancelled. My quandary is that me & the OH as 50 year olds may well be vaccinated by the summer but no one seems to be able to say what will happen in the case of under 16s who can’t be vaccinated (and probably won’t even be able to get it done privately for a long time once they turn 16).

• Kevin C says:

For NHS staff – email in from Uber.

As a small gesture of thanks from all of us, we are committing two free rides and a free meal to NHS staff this Christmas.

There’s still time to register if you haven’t already. If you work for the NHS, just make sure to update your email address on your Uber and Uber Eats accounts to a valid NHS email.

You have until 9am on 20 December 2020 to register. We will send your code on 22 December 2020, which you can redeem between 23 and 27 December 2020.

If you don’t work for the NHS, you can still give some festive cheer by sharing the link below with someone who does.

• KBufett says:

Checked in at JW Marriott Grosvenor House. Upgraded to Executive Suite. Lounge is open, but I haven’t been yet.
    Does anyone know if this Marriott / AmEx offer allows cumulative spend?

• Harry T says:

I saw one report that it does include cumulative spend, although I wouldn’t take a long time to spend it, given the limited list of hotels. Turnberry is closed until Feb and London appears destined for Tier 3. The Langley hopefully will be spared.

• Anna says:

I suspect they will try and argue that the hospitals are coping and the testing of school kids should keep them safe n Tier 2.

• Lady London says:

…till just into the New Year

• Polly says:

Just til we get a wedding out of the way on the 22nd pleeease, we need to stay in Tier 2….

• Lady London says:

@Polly will cross my fingers for the wedding but here’s hoping as 23Dec plus 28 days is awfully close…good luck

• TGLoyalty says:

• Flyoff says:

I am at the JW too. No upgrade and the lounge is a total waste of time. They have made no effort at all and can’t even be bothered to stock the coffee machines with milk or provide cups. Yes I i know there are COVID restrictions but it appears the management choose to do nothing. I came back for a coffee tonight and the lounge looked like a picnic where guests had tried to recreate what they had expected to be provided.