Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 12th December

Comments (215)

• robman says:

Please can anyone tell me how long it takes from applying for a Curve Metal card to the time that the card arrived? Thinking of getting one.

• Peter K says:

Upgraded from basic to metal a couple of months ago and it took about a week for the new card to arrive.

• SamM says:

Anyone had problems getting the ihg free night voucher from the Creation card? My card year finished almost three months ago and no voucher yet. Phoned them but not very helpful response of “contact ihg” who in turn said “contact creation”……

• ChrisC says:

been a few comments on this in the past week

to prevent repetition have a look in the daily chat threads.

• SamM says:

Or just provide a brief summary of the responses thus far that you are aware of?

• Doug M says:

So essentially you want someone else to do the work for you?

• SamM says:

No. If you are already aware then it wouldn’t be any work. For someone who isn’t aware they will have to trawl through lots of threads with lots of pages. If you don’t have anything useful to say then I strongly suggest you don’t reply. Alright.

• Doug M says:

I strongly disagree. The comments are there, it’s on you to search and find them. What does continually repeating the same stuff add?

• TGLoyalty says:

They basically consisted of back and forth and the only way to really resolve is that your contract is with creation and they need to sort it out themselves if they don’t threaten them with FOS.

• ChrisC says:

I didn’t provide a summary because it’s not an issue of interest to me but I knew your question has already been asked and answered SEVERAL times so I pointed you in the right direction and you still complain!

• Peter K says:

@ChrisC
            Exactly. Just use the search function in your browser to get the info. By the time you wrote all the replies you could well have had the answer. It’s not like you even said please…

• Rob says:

This is a huge problem impacting almost everyone unfortunately.

• SJ says:

I’m sorry if this question has been asked 1000 times, but has anyone got any recommendations for covid testing in London?

I want to get tested before seeing my parents this christmas without lying about symptoms and getting an NHS test.
    I’ve already looked into Boots. Any other suggestions?

• ChrisC says:

please look through a few of the most recent chat threads as this has been asked and answered before.

• TGLoyalty says:

Sorry if this sounds like a bad response but it’s literally a snap shot in time you could have caught it the day before or you could catch it on your way home from the test.

Only real way to be sure is to isolate completely for 7-10 days and use personal transport to your parents.

• memesweeper says:

are you anywhere near any of the mass testing sites? they are maybe only 75% reliable but you could go twice, maybe five days apart, and build some confidence?

• Rob says:

I’m having one on Monday, will name the place if it is good (it came recommended to us – has its own onsite lab which is very rare).

As already mentioned though, it is a fairly pointless exercise UNLESS you do the ‘same day’ test at this place and hop straight on the train when you get the result. You will also test negative if you had caught it in the previous 48-72 hours anyway.

• Mouse says:

Rob – do you know or can you find out whether your provider will be on the government’s test to release approved providers?

• Rob says:

The list isn’t out yet AFAIK. The UAE don’t care who does your test so its not a concern for me.

I’m not sure how this works in practice when, for example, you don’t actually know which lab your local chemist is actually using.

• MinR says:

Are Marriott reward bookings flexible in the current situation by default?

I’m eye-ing a redemption but the policy states 30 day cancellation else there’s a 1-night charge. Cash rates are >£1k so not keen on booking if there’s no flexibility to cancel or change.

• Harry T says:

They are subject to the terms of your booking. Some hotels, particularly Domes resorts in Greece, specify this 30 day cancellation policy and it will be enforced. I wouldn’t bother trying to disregard the stated booking terms because Marriott will not back you. Tbh unless you really think the hotel/resort will be completely booked out, it’s best to wait until a few days before and then book, as UK and destination entry and quarantine requirements change all the time.

• Spaghetti Town says:

Had one of those offers to spend £1600 get 1600 MR on amex. Why don’t amex give you a tracker to see how close you are?

Is there a way to find out how close to meeting the target you are for a specific offer?

• KS says:

I could see it in the app until yesterday. Disappeared today when the offer expired for me.

• s879 says:

Does anyone know when the offer started? I added it same day but I’m not sure if I spent the required amount. I can check my spend from that date if I have the date I added. Now offer has disappeared as it has expired I think. It was on my main card. Does spend on supplementary count as when you take our a card, both cards count towards target spend.

• Sandra says:

If you click on membership then rewards activity it should give you a summary with a blue line tracker as you spend, saying how much more needed to achieve target. Did on mine & still there showing completed.

• SamM says:

• thehornets says:

I don’t suppose anyone has tried topping up an A J Bell SIPP with Revolut? Does it work? Thanks for any insights!

• KBuffett says:

If you have funds in Revolut, you can just send them to AJ by BACS. No need to use the card.

• thehornets says:

Thanks KBuffett, I really appreciate the idea, but it looks like you can only pay by debit card or cheque. I can’t find any BACS details on the site.

• KBuffeyy says:

Call them and ask. I’d imagine most employer contributions are made by BACS. I had to ask HL for their bank details as it wasn’t listed on their site. Also, SIPP providers would like to know what payments are coming in so that they can allocate them.

• s879 says:

I’ve had to return something to Selfridges so have dropped below the £100 spend to get £30 off. I don’t mind making a small order to make it up to £100 again but the offer expires tomorrow. Am I too late now as the transaction won’t get cleared tomorrow if I order tonight or do Amex see the order date?

• Tarmohamed says:

No harm trying or go in store tomorrow?

• Harry T says:

Doesn’t work in store. You can order by 10pm tonight for click and collect in store. They will charge you immediately. If you order for delivery, they won’t charge until they despatch.

• Harry T says:

Next time, try to get a refund to a gift card instead of your credit card, if you don’t want to get the rebate clawed back.

• ao40 says:

They don’t usually take the credit back in this scenario. It tends to only reverse if the full transaction is refunded i.e. the exact amount that triggered the credit.

• Lady London says:

Return for gift card would have saved you this trouble.