Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 16th December

Comments (336)

• Jane says:

A few comments this week about payments to Creation not showing up with Creation even after a few days – did anyone manage to speak to them about it ? payments from the 11/12 and 12/12 still not visible despite being allocated (not pending) on the card on which it was paid. I’ll contact them today but wondered if anyone else had and it was a known issue.

• stevenhp1987 says:

It happens from time to time.

I’ve had Creation refund payments back to the original payment card before!

You’ll have to contact them after that length of time.

• Aliks says:

It seems to work to your advantage – I missed a payment date by 1 day, but it took so long (about 5 days) for Creation to show all the payments on the account that there was no penalty charge.

• Jane says:

Phoned creation – apparently the payment is ‘stuck’ in the system, they can see it but can’t see why it hasn’t credited – they have sent a message through to ‘missing payments’ who will hopefully make it un-stuck ! it might take a few days and she had heard of other similar issues. It’s frustrating as very close to my credit limit and need to spend to hit spire elite and I’m not overly keen on making another payment in case that gets stuck too but I think I’ll have to.

• the_real_a says:

If you have a password manager that “pastes” in various data. What often happens is it transposes over the payment credit card number (the top bit of data in the payment screen). This is the only bit of information creation has to credit the payment to the correct credit card account. If it cannot allocate the payment it stays in the slush account. This may or may not apply to OP.

• Jimbob says:

Doesn’t apply to me, as when paying via the app, it doesn’t ask for your cc number.

• Jane says:

could be that for me but it’s worked loads this month and then just these two together. will avoid using it going forwards in case. thanks for the heads up.

• Anna says:

Hmm – just checked and our flight to AUH at Easter is no longer bookable! No cancellation from BA yet. I know I would be entitled to re-routing on another airline, but would BA move us to Dubai instead? I’m thinking they might prefer to keep us on a BA flight and move the destination. I don’t want to cancel outright as the flights were booked in the recent half price avios sale.

• Andrew says:

You’ll need to wait for BA to cancel before moving anything

• Anna says:

I know, I’m just mustering all my options. Thinking about it, if we could go direct from MAN on Etihad that would be a great result, but I can see BA digging their heels in and trying to keep us on one of their flights.

• meta says:

They absolutely will try. Are you booked in F because there are not many airlines that offer F on the route. It might the question of working out what’s the best alternative (A and B) for you. I’d do it now then when BA cancels you can call them straight away.

• meta says:

They absolutely will try. Are you booked in F? There are not many airlines that offer F on the route. It might the question of working out what’s the best alternative (A and B) for you. I’d do it now then when BA cancels you can call them straight away.

• Anna says:

No – I don’t think there’s an F cabin on that route, it was Club suites anyway. The problem is I can’t really justify shelling out £8k for alternative flights with the prospect of a long drawn out tussle to get it back from BA. It might even be held reasonable for them to move us to the DXB flight and pay for a taxi to our Abu Dhabi hotel. I also think we would be criticised for booking alternative flights before BA even cancelled and offered us other options!

• Anna says:

Sorry meta, just realised you meant work out the options, not book more flights!

• Harry T says:

Yeah, I reckon being moved to Dubai is reasonable and within their usual guidance/practice. Wait for the cancellation email though.

You are entitled to a rerouting in the same cabin, regardless of award availability/fare class.

• Harry T says:

They should technically offer you rerouting on Etihad to AUH, but in practice you will encounter resistance that may only be overcome through the courts. Personally, I’d rather just accept a rerouting to DXB and see if they will pay for a taxi to AUH. Or just reroute to DXB and change hotels to DXB.

• Anna says:

Yes – my original preference was DXB but there was no availability on our travel dates so this might work out well.

• Jimbob says:

There were a couple of comments yesterday about payments being slow to credit to Creation recently.

My two payments made at the weekend still haven’t been credited, yet the payment I made yesterday has already shown as a credit on the account.

I’ll give until the end of the week, then chase any missing credit payments

• David says:

So, BA merchandise arrived yesterday and (as expected) order was incomplete and didn’t agree with the dispatch note. What’s the suggested strategy? I sent them an email last night, and intend to raise a credit card chargeback after a week or two – anything else I should add? Really not wanting to waste too much effort on this one, but a partial order (missing the most important parts) is as bad as no order, when you’re buying sets.

• Andrew says:

Sell what you don’t want on ebay – things are going for a huge markup – packs of 6 dinner plates for £200!

• TGLoyalty says:

Perhaps some good news for some. The Concorde room will open for a short period. 17th – 20th and the CCT will be available to all GF eligible customers.

Christmas opening
    Concorde Room open 08:00 to 15:00 on 17-20 December. During the time CCR is open, CCT area will available to all GF guests
    Galleries First (incl Concorde Terrace) open daily 05:00 to 22:00
    Galleries Club North open 05:00 to 14:00 on 11-13, 17-23, and 27-28 December.
    Galleries Club South open daily (except Christmas Day) between 05:00 to 21:00. Between 21:00 and 22:00 all eligible customers with lounge access will be accommodated in Galleries First

Source Flyertalk.

• Tony says:

Iberia have got a 2 for 1 on Avios bookings. Travel from 15 Jan through to 15 June 2021. Bookings need to be made by 23.12.2020

• Manny_D says:

Are hotels still remaining open for normal stays under Tier 3? I have a room booked this weekend at the London County Hall Marriott, but unsure if it would be cancelled (haven’t received anything to say it would be) and haven’t managed to get through to the hotel as of yet.

• Harry T says:

Some are staying open but may ask you to confirm that you have a valid reason for travelling. Marriott Park Lane sent me a whole list of eligible reasons from the government guidance.

• gerry says:

Unlikely, I was asked for proof of stay reason i.e letter from employers as travel is not permitted into tier 3 areas.

• Rob says:

Nonsense.

It is not ‘advised’. You have fallen into the Government trap of mixing up things which are legally banned with things which you are advised not to do.

The hotel will ask for the minimum level of proof (your word is usually enough) to meet what its lawyers have told them is required.

• TGLoyalty says:

Not sure who the reply was to? no one said its advised

My experience is your word isn’t enough for Hilton’s in T3 and the emails Marriott are sending out seem to suggest they will require more than your word.

• Rob says:

• Brian says:

“ I spent every working day during the November lockdown in hotels. Never asked for any proof except my word.”

But other people have been asked for proof? For example, the person below in Liverpool

• Rob says:

Correct – but there is no obligation to ask for it, is the point.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

It’s a fairly narrow sample though, isn’t it. Fair to say that if you book a “day-work” rate and arrive alone as a middle aged man with a laptop bag and charging cable then maybe just maybe you are about 99.9% less likely to be asked for proof of working than if you arrive as a group of 10 women booked in for weekend nights and dressed in pink hen-party T-shirts.

• TGLoyalty says:

My understanding is the public is advised not to travel to or out of Tier 3 areas.

However, Hotels in T3 have a legal obligation to close unless its for the exempt reasons therefore hotels that are still open are ensuring their guests have a valid reason to be staying.

• Ikaz says:

I was at a hotel in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago (when it was in tier 3) who refused to check me in without an employer letter stating that I was there for business and couldn’t work from home

• Anna says:

The O2 IC have said our stay after Xmas can’t go ahead unless it’s for business, which we would struggle to prove!

• James. says:

Anna, my booking for 31 Dec has not been impacted by Tier 3. The Tiers will be re-addressed on the 23 December so surprising they have reached out to this earily for your end of December booking.

• Anna says:

I can’t see the tiers being re-assessed on the same day that restrictions loosen for Christmas, where have you seen that?
            I emailed them to tell them I was assuming I had to cancel my booking as they had been really helpful with it, as I was aware that London was moving into tier 3 and they responded saying they were clsoing for all non-essential travel from the 16th.

• TGLoyalty says:

Under Tier 3 hotels should close to leisure stays and people should only use them for one of the reasons set out as exemptions. The list is long and includes work, self isolating, moving home etc but they should be in touch to ask if you fall under one of the exemptions and what proof they would require, if any.

• Brian says:

Either way, there won’t be much to do in London as pubs, restaurants, tourist sights etc will be shut.

Shops will be open but presumably that’s also the case where you’re travelling from.

• TGLoyalty says:

I personally wouldn’t stay overnight while its in Tier 3

However, lots of people do visit London purely for shopping. Only so many times you can see the ‘sights’ I no longer go to London to specifically see any sights.

Deliveroo / Uber Eats / takeaway etc is also a good enough option for many.

• Andrew says:

Indeed! Manny is better to save the money or points for the Spring. Tourism just isn’t happening at the moment – we need to accept that.

• TGLoyalty says: