Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 16th December

Comments (336)

• John W says:

Anyone know if booking Emirates flight through Gotogate is ok – Price is much cheaper !
    I always worry about not booking direct for some reason .

• Harry T says:

The problem is a lot of people have had negative experiences with OTAs this year when something has gone wrong – flights cancelled, flights changed etc. To some extent, you do get what you pay for. Some airlines will price match, so that is worth exploring.

• Aston100 says:

Search the name of that OTA (and many of the other really cheap ones) on the Tripadvisor air travel forum.
      Gasp in horror when the search result shows you literally hundreds of negative experiences.
      Smile as you realise you just dodged a bullet and then make a note that you owe Aston100 a beverage of his choice at the next meet-up.

• Nigel W says:

I knew some people who used that firm and said the customer service was a nightmare to deal with.

• Rob says:

A LOT of problems with gotogate in the past ….

• Jonathan says:

They’re absolutely awful……..

But on the flip side, I think they’re booking.com’s main airline flight sales centre, shame as my main hotel booking site is Hotels.com! (I don’t have particular preference when staying in a hotel, it doesn’t have to be part of a big chain or anything like that, it just has to be a nice hotel in a good location based on my budget for the stay

• Genghis says:

+1. Per booking confirm they sold me BA flights with hold luggage IST-LHR. When I got to IST it was HBO. After some serious persuading, check in staff put our bags on. Contacted them and they said, oh sorry, and gave us a few quid refund. Never again.

• John W says:

Or any experience between Gulf Air Business class and Turkish Business class ?

• Voldemort says:

Rob.. made a reservation for a Hilton hotel on the Amex Travel “The Hotel Collection” (Not prepaid)

Are you aware if these earn HH points and nights like FHR?

• Aston100 says:

In regards to my cancelled flights to KUL.
    I Just rang Youfirst for the 3rd time today, this time to query whether I can get a reroute from BHX (rather than LHR) if I decide to take up their offer (on an earlier call) of a reroute with QR.
    This time I was told that my only option at present is a voucher under the book with confidence policy.
    I’m not allowed a refund; I’m not allowed to fly with BA to SIN (as apparently BA are only obligated to get me to KUL – despite being offered this on my first call to Youfirst); I’m not allowed a re-route with QR (despite being offered this on both previous calls), and definitely not allowed to fly from any airport other than LHR and cannot fly to any airport other than KUL (not quite sure how I am meant to fly LHR to KUL given BA have suspended the route and this agent is refusing reroutes altogether).

As a reminder, this was the Youfirst team.
    I dread to think what kind of service is being offered by the other contact centres.
    Seriously, what kind of training are these agents being given?
    I imagine the agent must have assumed I would accept

• Aston100 says:

Ignore the last line above. No edit facility.

• Anna says:

BA must be really confident that enough people will fall for their BS to make it worthwhile getting a few claims from people who exercise their re-booking rights!

• Lady London says:

You dont need us to tell you to HUACA.

Record all calls from now on if you can, and don’t put up with (any of) this rubbish.

• Benilyn says:

Talk on FT that people have received extensions (in way of extra cert) for the free night certificates. These are mainly US lot as far as I can tell, nothing on my account. Has any UK residents received extensions? These are free nights from IHG Premium card.

• Benilyn says:

To clarify these are the ones that were already extended to 31-Dec-2020, and these have been extended to Aug 2021 now.

• TGLoyalty says:

Lots of clarifying here but it sounds like you’re saying they’ve received a new cert rather than an extension ?

Since it’s book by does that mean they can now book via their old one in the next 2 weeks?

• Benilyn says:

US free night certs expiry date = book by date. Whereas UK ones expiry date is just expiry date for making the booking, you can book as far out as you can find.

• TGLoyalty says:

Did you mean stay by date then not = book by date?

• Small Shop says:

The US credit card nights are indeed stay by, not book by.

No change to my UK issued cert expiring 31/12/20.

• TGLoyalty says:

Ah might mean we aren’t getting an extension. I have one expiring Dec 31st I might have to decide where I’m going to use it.

• Nigel W says:

Wanting to double check something…..

With an Avios.com/Lloyds booking, can they only reroute you on BA flights only? The person on the phone say they have no access to any OneWorld flights.

• memesweeper says:

Rerouting rights apply for Avios bookings on any carrier, doesn’t need to be OneWorld. Hang up and call again. Be prepared to book it yourself and recover the costs through MCOL if none of the agents you speak to can help.

• Mark says:

Just been out for tea and spent £41 on my Bapp card to use the Marstons spend £40 get £20 back with Amex offers.
    Had the email come through already confirming the deal.

• Ronald Jeremy says:

Gutted that Langley has closed due to being in Tier 3.

• babyg_wc says:

When did Buckinghamshire go into tier3?

• Harry T says:

It’s not, according to the government website.

• ChrisC says:

Source for this?

Posting un verified information such as this can cause unnecessary worry to people that have booked and to the business as well because people may cancel when they don’t have to.

Why not wait until the official announcement has been made?

Also no mention of closure on the hotel website

• TGLoyalty says:

Unfortunately the internet is full of misinformation

• Andrew says:

Hotel website still taking bookings for next week.

• meta says:

Yes, I overheard yesterday the reception team member telling someone on the phone that they are not closing even in Tier 3. They will not be turning away customers and it’s at guests’ discretion to comply with rules. I guess they might have to close the spa and restaurants, but still provide in-room service. Didn’t hear the rest of the conversation as they went into the back office.

• TGLoyalty says:

I had general emails from some hotels in London yesterday saying they were open and spas/gyms would be open but restaurants/bars will close. Which makes sense as that follows T3 rules.

• Anna says:

It’s the hotel which will be breaking the law and possibly invalidating it’s insurance if this is true!