Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 17th December

Comments (259)

• mr_jetlag says:

Hey all. If we book for FNC via LIS, will quarantine be required (transit but no stopover)?

• TGLoyalty says:

Transit in a country not on the corridor list means isolation. You are only exempt if no one leaves the transport and re-enters and no one new gets on. Which won’t be the case with a change in plane.

• Dave says:

Anyone tried to get a KLM voucher or change flight recently? My friend is flying back to Birmingham from Amsterdam tomorrow but has got a slight cough. He has booked a Covid test but doesn’t know if he’ll get the results in time. He seems to think he can’t cancel it it change it because he is working 48 hours but that’s sounds very harsh

• Tarmohamed says:

Etihad spend has shown up on Amex statement but they’ve charged in PKR than the initial GBP transaction that appeared as a push notification. Anyone know if I’ll get the £250 credit now? Should I phone up next week if doesn’t appear?

• Tarmohamed says:

Spoken to amex, I should be getting the credit regardless of currency paid in as it is a GBP account and they convert the rate.

• Anna says:

If I use the Amex/Hilton £50 back offer on Boxing Day, should it have cleared by the 31st? Just mindful that 26/27/28 are weekend/bank holidays and Amex can take a couple of days to go through even on business days.

• Harry T says:

Probably.

• Chris Heyes says:

Anna have a word with Hilton, i take it you are gold or above,
      A word in their ear ask the hotel to charge it now ?
      (hushh i have one for next year gone through now lol)
      it triggers when they take the money, within couple days

• Anna says:

Hi again Chris! I’m planning to ask to pay the for the rooms at check in to trigger the offer on one card, then pay for food, spa services etc at checkout to use the offer on another card. Don’t want to pay anything before we go in case we have to cancel at the last minute …

• Chris Heyes says:

Hi, Anna, Ok i see, i had offer on 5 cards managed use 4 cards during Oct Avisford Park Arundel (near us) they were very good with use of card/s lol Good Hilton Hotel as well excellent food covid restrictions (but no lounge if anyone’s interested) and Hilton Brighton (ok)
          and one who shall not be named Hilton hotel stay 21 paid now

• Chef says:

Anna, I’ve just paid for a stay today, I’ll let you know when it shows on my statement.

• John says:

It usually works as long as the transaction was made by the deadline

• meta says:

Hyatt Place at Heathrow (not the Hayes one) didn’t want to do that for me. My stay (genuine!) would have been early January. So it depends on the hotel.

• YL says:

Hi Anna,
      As long as the hotel process it immediately, It should be fine. I had a stay last year on the 31st Dec and asked the hotel process it on check in. The spent showed on 31st December.

• Dave B says:

Curve have Anti-Embarrassment Mode to include back up cards, not available on my legacy black card yet. sol when it arrives.

• TGLoyalty says:

I’m part of the beta testing and just set it up. You can set up 2 cards and it tries them in order. Just remember to choose two that don’t add fees from your special transactions

• BuildTheWall says:

Got the email today and activated immediately. The app was updated yesterday.

• r* says:

Regarding the tesco pet insurance points offer from the start of the year (not the MSE one currently running), I think it was supposed to be 2500 points for a policy, how is that displayed on your clubcard account?

I wouldve expected it to be a £25 voucher, but when checking my clubcard account I can find no sign of anything that looks like the 2500 insurance points, but I’m sure I had checked it was there prior to cancelling.

Has anyone elses vanished or am I looking at the wrong thing?

• mark2 says:

I have just settled a similar dispute with Tesco Insurance. Apparently the points appear on Tesco Bank section which does not show until the next statement. I started in May and they say that the points will show on next statement. I asked for and got further compensation for loss of opportunity to convert to Avios.

• ChrisC says:

Lat week someone asked about passport renewal times. This is my time line for what it’s worth.

FRIDAY 4TH DECEMBER

– Photo taken at Timpsons (£9.99). Code given. I also have 4 photos of myself looking like a serial killer.
    – Completed application and uploaded photo. Took minutes as not much info needed in the application.
    – Trip to post office to send off old passport via 1st class signed for. Didn’t think next day delivery was worth it.

THURSDAY 10TH DECEMBER

– Old passport finally delivered to HMPO

MONDAY 14TH DECEMBER

– Receipt of old passport logged into HMPO tracker (09.39)
    – Application approved and sent for printing (09.39)
    – Dispatched (17.32)

WEDNESDAY 16TH DECEMBER

Passport delivered by TNT

GOOD POINTS

The online application is very efficient. As is the ability to upload a photo. I tried to take it myself but it’s hard when you live on your own!

The HMPO tracker is also good and detailed recording to the minute when they received the application, approved it etc Also regular email / text updates.

BAD POINTS

– The TNT tracker simply does not work. It asks for a consignment number or your PAN (passport application number) but you don’t get sent your consignment number and their system does not recognise the PAN so it’s impossible to track the delivery. At least I didn’t have to sign for it as I have a letter box of my own. Apparently they still want signatures if you have a shared letter box.

• lashious says:

the whole point of passport photos is that they are MEANT to look like you…ahem. 🙂

• Harry T says:

I actually managed to take a pretty good selfie that HMG was happy with… unsure if I should be proud of this.

• ChrisL says:

The TNT tracker does work actually, the problem is there aren’t any instructions given on how to use it. I had the same problem. The solution is If you remove PEX and the spaces from the application number then you can track it.

• Backpacker says:

Marriott Credit Card – Points still not posted to the marriott account despite being 2 weeks past the date they normally post. Emailed creation but to no surprise they have not responded. Anyone else having the same issue?