Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 18th December

Comments (233)

• J says:

Longshot this will apply to anyone else, but I just did the online renewal of my Capital Office virtual address and, surprisingly, got the Shop Small notification email. Are there any other online shop small opportunites around?

• Baji Nahid says:

Read on Al jazeera that thailand has opened up to more than 50 countries and the visa has been extended to 45 days.

Dowside is the PCR test before you fly and the 2 week quarantine on arrival

• Sina says:

Question on compensation on flights – my wife flew from middle east today with Qatar with 4+ hours delay, making her stop in doha 6 hours and the overall time of flight 20+ hours. Now my question is, I know it’s for EU flights, but does it count if it’s a connecting flight, or should it be a direct flight? The delay was in first part to doha, pushing the doha-london to the next flight. appreciate your wisdom!

• Andrew says:

Compensation is the one area Qatar Airways are terrible at – they simply don’t pay out. Even involving the CAA to write to them, they just ignore them. The problem with thIs law is that it’s a civil law, so you would personally need to take them to court to get them to pay. So regardless of whether the compensation does apply to this flight, you won’t get anything.

• N says:

Neither EU origin flight, nor an EU airline. Therefore no EU261.

• Charlieface says:

Incidentally, the other direction, compo would be payable as proved in court in “Gahan v Emirates”.
      Furthermore, Covid is only an exceptional circumstance when actually applicable, so a plane going tech still gets compo

• Relaxo says:

Anyone know if Shop small only works for purchases made in-store? As opposed purchasing from a participating retailers online shop? Wont work according to T&Cs but Ive no idea about backend of payment processing to understand whether they can track difference in transaction type.

• Jonathan says:

They can easily tell if a card was physically present in a shop or not, an east way by telling is by the security number being input.

Although someone mentioned above an online purchase qualified for shop small and was unexpected

• Pid says:

I have had a few online retailers work. For example my local butcher works for deliveries and silver by mail works for jewellery.

• APPL says:

Monmouth Coffee might work with online orders. I didn’t get confirmation email, but noticed I had £5 credited for last week’s order. They charge £3.50 for delivery, so no great savings to be made, but handy if you were thinking of ordering anyway.

• BuildTheWall says:

In the backend, there is an attribute that captures the method used – online, instore etc, alongwith other attributes like using apple pay etc. But i guess amex might relax the restrictions this time due to covid.

• the_real_a says:

Some small businesses dont know their machines. Instead of processing as “Cardholder not present” they process as “Manual input” such as when the card cannot be read and they need to type in the digits. So the flag for “in person” is actually set when the transaction is mailorder.

• Pete says:

I paid for a live escape room in London on their website and was pleasantly surprised to get the credit!

• Super B says:

Morning. We have return tickets to SYD in First in October cancelled by BA. We are also travelling with my son who turns 2 whilst we are away. BA’s policy is to give the child a free seat on the return journey, which they had done. However, that is not the policy of most other airlines like Cathy. I haven’t called yet to try and arrange a rebooking on another airline. Are BA legally obliged to give my son a seat, as he had a ticketed seat on BA, or will I have to stump up for a seat for him in line with another airlines infant/child booking policy? Just wanted to know as I expect to be fobbed off on the call. Thanks in advance.

• Lady London says:

if he had a ticketed seat on BA even if it cost zero then he has same right for his ticket to be treated same rights as yours.

• ChrisBCN says:

You said return, which makes me curious if you actually know the entry rules… Just take a refund! (Unless you do actually have legitimate entry/exit reason of course).

• Anna says:

BA cancellations – I’ve just called the 0800 number and got through straight away to the Warrington office! The CSA said they are really quiet this morning. Accepted a re-route of our cancelled AUH flights at Easter to DXB as this was actually our first choice originally but there were no avios seats. So pretty happy, especially as we get an extra day there now.
    Someone was asking yesterday about DXB day flights – just FYI we have been moved to DAY flights both outbound and return so they seem to still be running in April. Of course they could still be cancelled but the CSA mentioned that all the flights are nearly full so I imagine it’s worth running them all financially for BA.

• Polly says:

Well done on getting your first choice, saves a lot of hassle for you and AUH.

• Harry T says:

Great result, thought they would be happy with DXB. Let’s hope it all goes as planned now!

• Anna says:

Further to the above, I have half a million HH points – where do people suggest using them in Dubai?!

• Anna says:

Has anyone been to the WA on The Palm? I know Rob has said it’s problematic getting there but it looks very nice.

• Andrew says:

Palm is nice but you’re far far far from anything, so depends if you just want to say at the hotel most of the time. JBR is probably the best area to stay.

• Anna says:

Thanks – Yes I’ve gone for the new DT Jumeirah which seems to have just become available.

• fivebobbill says:

Anna, when you say “new” DT Jumeirah, is that a new hotel or it just the DT Jumeriah now taking new bookings?

I ask because I stayed at the Hilton Jumeriah for last New Year and took a stroll down to the DT Jumeriah for a nosey. If that’s where you are staying be aware of the HUGE “The Address” just built next door (that’s if it’s even finished). the DT has/had a great site to the extreme left of JBR, the last hotel before the bridge to Bluewaters Island where you can watch the boats entering the Marina. The hotel also has a really nice open pool/sunbathing area with access to the beach and views of the big wheel. However… “The Address” next door, because of it’s sheer size, completely overshadows the pool/sun area of the DT, and you will now be sitting in the shade all day long!

• Algor says:

Hilton has a very strong portfolio in Dubai, plenty to choose from.

If you wish to stay in the resort think of WA in Ras Al Khaimah, about 70 min in taxi from DXB airport.

Mix of resort and still not far from centre would be WA Palm.

Ex W was taken over by Hilton, it’s run under Curio brand and named … ‘V’. Very pleasant and funky hotel with some fantastic suites. It’s in Habtor City and part of hudge hotel complex, the other hotels are very posh LXR and Hilton.

My favourite is the new WA in Financial District, hotel was opened less than 2 years ago if I remember correctly. Top notch hard and soft product, fantastic cigar lounge and ‘rooftop’ (its in the middle of building height) bar / pool.

There are couple more hotels looking very good (it’s Dubai after all) but my choice now is the new WA DIFC if I want to be in Dubai or WA in Ras if i would be spending time in the middle of nowhere.

Highly recommended the Curio V, LXR didn’t enhance me but it is a proper 5* Luxury property.

Hope this helps, I tend to do one or two trip every year (not in the summer).

• fivebobbill says:

Hilton Dubai Creek is also worth considering for a few days, as the area is something very different from high rise Dubai. Take a 2 dirham boat trip across/along the creek, stroll along the working creek and be amazed! Visit the Gold souk (where you need to wear sunglasses), have dinner on a Dhow at sunset when all the dinner boats light up the creek…
            The Hilton DC isn’t the biggest in the world, but is spotless and the service exceptional. It is situated right on the creek, has a small rooftop pool, and some very comfortable outside spaces in the executive lounge. As HH Gold we were upgraded to a beautiful 2 glass walls corner suite overlooking the Creek and Dhows. Close to the airport, I would definitely recommend it for a few days of something different either end of anyone’s trip to Dubai.

• Rob says:

I’ve been twice and am back next week if you want to know anything specific. Next week is first time my family have been with me.

• Algor says:

I stayed twice in WA DIFC, both times had standard room booked.

On first visit had some sort of standard plus upgrade and room was still great with the view towards Hilton Conrad property, lots of skyscrapers ‘the usual Dubai’. Room was very comfortable and spacious, id say around 600 maybe 650 sq.

Second visit was a bit shorter, stayed 5 nights after coming from Ras before flying back to UK. Hotel was quite full with some sort of group/groups and maybe thats why I got a fantastic suite with a bit of Burj view (fantastic in restaurant and cigar lounge!), it was more or less 1500 sq, didn’t need the space anyway as myself and ex gf travel light and stay out once in cities.

YMMW, if I stayed there dozen of times then I could say more. Staff really cares, recognize and always greet you by the name remembering what you were up to and what’s on your list. The personal concierge (much more useful than LXR) will really heap out in order to make reservations around city.

I haven’t been to Dubai since beginning of March, don’t take this comment for granted. I’m truly enchanted by DIFC pool bar, their ‘shisha chefs’ and bar staff (best espresso martini in the hotel ever), fantastic afternoon tea and breakfast served until noon or maybe even 1 pm I don’t remember anymore …

If you want to explore Dubai while having spotless service in luxury property (not as boring as usual luxury) then DIFC is a safe bet, I wouldn’t think twice even if I knew I would be staying in ‘standard room’. Rarely but I did eat in restaurant and it deserves at least 1 M* (maybe they got it I didn’t check).

I’m a huge fan, maybe biased maybe not, had a great time there.