Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 24th December

Comments (239)

• Pangolin says:

Dear HFPers,

I’m reopening the offer to obtain Hilton Honors Gold status by invitation (since the person who gave the correct answer last time already has it).

Only one answer per poster can be accepted. PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER IF YOU ALREADY HAVE GOLD OR DIAMOND! The whole point is to gift it someone who doesn’t yet have status.

So here’s the question. Just across the road from Hotel Bristol is a storied (scuse the pun) hotel that is even older. It was the first hotel in Warsaw to have a lift for guests (in 1877) and the first to have central heating installed.

I want the FULL NAME of the hotel’s designer (two possible variants of this name are acceptable).

• mr_jetlag says:

Enrico Marconi?

• Pangolin says:

Correctamundo!

He’s also known as Henryk Marconi in Poland (he was Polish-Italian).

The hotel is of course the Raffles Hotel Europejski. If you ever get to visit it you can go to the Long Bar you can try a Singapore Sling. During the communist era it belonged to Orbis, the state run tourist company (you can still see the Orbis globe atop one of the buildings in the city centre). Then it was Accor-Orbis for a while and now it’s part of the Accor group.

Well done, mr_jetlag! Please write your email so I can send the invite (hopefully I’ll get around to sending it today).

• mr_jetlag says:

woohoo! thanks Pangolin! About twenty years ago before it was the Raffles we did a conference at the Europejski and the old owners also made a big deal about the lifts! you brought back some nice memories.

Addy is subscriptions [at] dapul [dot] org – no rush of course. I will toast you with a nice mulled wine this Christmas Eve!

• Pangolin says:

Sent it already! Check your spam folder if you don’t see it.

Enjoy your Hilton Gold status in 2021 🙂

• BJ says:

Haha, you’ll be the first per Mr Jetlag is thinking about every morning he wakes up in a Hilton!

• Rich says:

I just spent the last 20 minutes looking for that. I thought that was the hotel, and then for some reason I was looking at the Sofitel. I will keep looking back in the hope Mr jet lag also has gold membership haha.

A very kind gesture btw, and I wish you all a merry Xmas.

• Paul says:

You can have mine if you want it Rich? Drop your email here and I’ll ping it to you. Merry Christmas! 😷🎅🎄

• Pangolin says:

Sofitel is also interesting. A classic Cold War hotel. If you’re ever in Warsaw during Independence Day (Nov 18) then that’s the place that will give you the best view of the commemorations. Make sure you get a room with a view over Pilsudski Square (not the ones at the rear of the hotel).

• Pangolin says:

Uhh… that should be November 11 of course!

Poland declared independence on November 11, 1918.

• Rich says:

Hi Paul, that is extremely kind. My email is [email protected]

We stayed at the Sofitel a couples of years ago when there was a Middle East conference. Police everywhere in the square. Was an interesting experience, with men in suits literally at every corner of the corridor.

• Paul says:

Your email is bouncing back Rich?

• Richard says:

Ahh, sorry about that. It’s two T”s, not three.

I will blame the auto correct for that.

[email protected]

• LucyF says:

Henryk Marconi, by any chance?

• Mco says:

In regards to Virgin cancelling MAN-DEL service they have instead booked me on LHR-DEL r/t instead. Do they have to pay for my flights from LHR-MAN? Under EC261 I can technically book a flight on AF/BA to MAN instead right and claim for it later if they refuse to reroute me. In that case can I be cheeky and book NCL instead which is closer than MAN?

TBH I am most likely cancelling this ticket but since its a few months away good to know the options.

• Anna says:

Yes, they are obliged to get you from MAN to your destination, as that is what you originally booked. I recall some people having similar issues when BA cancelled the Leeds-London service earlier this year. It’s not enough to offer you a train ticket, for example, re-routing has to be under comparable conditions. I think there were a few who were successful getting re-booked on other airlines so they could travel direct from Leeds. You need to have the conversation with Virgin before you book alternative flights though as you need to give them a chance to meet their obligations first.

• Anna says:

Has anyone scuba dived in Dubai? I’m trying to find a decent option for my OH preferably convenient for the Jumeirah beach area. He normally does 5/6 x 2-tank dives per holiday but the dive schools I’ve looked at so far don’t seem to offer these kind of packages.

• Sandra says:

Oman is much better for diving than UAE Anna & you’ll find better opportunities there.

• Anna says:

Unfortunately that’s not where our holiday’s booked!

• TGLoyalty says:

I think it’s still closed to pretty much any travel too (old population)

But if you do ever get a chance to visit I highly recommend it.

• FFoxSake says:

I’ve just made a test payment of a tenner to ihg from my old HH barclaycard (not via bendy). Accepted fine. Should i now expect any fees/interest either immediately or at statement on the HH side?
    Merry Xmas all.

• Andy says:

TAP is refusing to issue a cash refund despite being entitled to one as the flight was cancelled. It is not for much but very frustrating nevertheless, and the first airline I’ve had to deal with this year which has just flat out refused and issued an e voucher instead. Even worse when I called to cancel they acted as if they would issue a cash refund, and it took them nearly to months to issue a voucher instead. I just called them again and they told me voucher is the only option and I would need to file a complaint with them…

• Harry T says:

I’ve heard that TAP are absolutely awful regarding refunds. Probably doesn’t offer you much solace, other than to know you are not alone…

• Harry T says:

Did you pay on Amex? If you can prove you’ve attempted to get the refund you are entitled to, then just initiate a chargeback on your online amex account. I’ve had to do this for Lufthansa and Virgin Australia.

• Andy says:

Unfortunately paid with Curve as it was an euro transaction, doubt they will be of much help

• Mr. AC says:

Actually it wouldn’t hurt to try, they do have something called “Curve Customer Protection” which was positioned specifically as something akin to Section 75, but voluntary on their side since they’re a debit card.

• Charlieface says:

Chargeback or S75 is the way forward

• JohnT says:

Talking of hotel status do they ever extend the status match dates? Got Bonvoy Plat but depends how long South East stay tier4 to get enough stays in before march. Presume i could use that (or IHG Plat) to match to Hilton for a few months of their Diamond after that!

• TGLoyalty says:

My understanding is they didn’t extend the match period for people. It’s worth checking the post on flyertalk.

• DJ says:

Asked Bonvoy via various channels – the challenge cannot be extended or removed. And you can only ever have one challenge in account lifetime.

• ET says:

Anyone willing to ‘gift’ me your TAP status from the status match? Happy to work out something! makrxx at [email protected] dot com

• old bob says:

Merry Xmas everyone, as we come to the end of the year its a time to reflect, all in all its been generally a bit pants. In my moments of boredom working from home I’ve had a blast with a cast of ridiculous characters that I have posted under, who must now sadly depart this board, so it’s goodbye Amber Lynn, Jerry Butler, Ron Jeremy and Peter North. Anyone got the connection? lastly my personal favourite , Hugh Jardon who, as well as appearing occasionally on HfP , managed to prank Mike Atherton live on Sky sports earlier in the year. Have a Happy New Year.

• Aston100 says:

I’m disappointed your Italian cousin Rocco Siffredi didn’t make an appearance.

• Anna says:

I knew it! Are they all adult movie actors by any chance? (I am guessing here as I did google Jerry Butler when I started making the connections, I have never seen any of his actual oeuvre though 🤣🤣🤣)

• 747_Brat says:

“Hugh Jardon taking 6 for 9 at Cockermouth” – Left Mike Atherton red faced on live TV! 😀

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Haha remember that one. It actually took me a second as I used genuinely used to play for Cockermouth Cricket Club and so was thinking “hmmm don’t remember there being anyone called Hugh” … 😀 😀