Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 14th January

Comments (331)

• Paul Dryden says:

Has anyone recently cancelled a BA Premium Amex? Are they offering any incentives to stay?

• aDifferentSimon says:

reward flight question:
    I want to go to lapland this December – there is economy availability for hel-ivl now.
    If lhr-hel ever becomes available can I get BA to join the reward flights into one booking?
    And if that is possible would that make a difference to the taxes due and / or the cancellation fees?
    Thanks!

• ChrisC says:

No they can’t do that.

They will remain as two separate bookings and all that entails.

• Mco says:

See if you can get a seat on the direct LGW-IVL flight. They run 3 days a week.

• aDifferentSimon says:

I’m not sure it’s running at the moment – BA aren’t even going to Helsinki at the mo in Dec – just finnair

• Alekun says:

Anybody having issues with converting tesco Clubcard vouchers to a iOS via the Clubcard app?

Or is it just me.

• GR says:

Thoughts on the best non-Amex to use for funding NS&I? Virgin+ ?

I see Virgin boosted the sign-up bonus to £25k about this time last year – is there much chance of them doing it again?

• Rob says:

Virgin Money, if you read its accounts, is doing its best to stop taking on new customers whilst it deals with bad debts from the existing base. Hard to see them doing a big bonus.

• Johm says:

Use creation card or HSBC Premier card

• Boi says:

So my Amex gold card anniversary is May 2021. Looking online I see the spend count adjusted to November-meaning everything spent prior to November isn’t showing on my tracker (this is over 7K spend. I enquired with Amex and this is the reply I got:
    “Though your account opening date is May 2020, the anniversary date for spending tracker bonus, has been applied as Nov 2020 on the account considering the current covid situation and so that you would have more time to meet the spend criteria and be eligible for the bonus.”

Anyone got that?

• TGLoyalty says:

Sounds like someone making stuff up.

Did you apply for another MR based card in November?

• 747_Brat says:

Does this mean that even if you hit the bonus before May 2021, you would not be able to receive your 10K annual bonus before Nov 2021? 🙄

• kitten says:

Yes, this is the danger.
        I think I would manually make sure I met the spend, then call up and demand the bonus when it was originally due (if that suited me).

Otherwise as you say, much longer till you can get the next one if you are still in a position to meet the target in the original time

• Grant says:

This explains the problem I thought I was having with the spend tracker. I had been meaning to ask Amex about it but have been tracking my spend manually using statements.

As 747 mentioned, I won’t be happy if this means the annual bonus is delayed – you bet they won’t delay taking next year’s annual fee!

• Alex says:

Flights to Seychelles in March have been cancelled by BA (not that we would be able to go there realistically). Was booked in F on Avios. Seems BA completely stopped the route now. I asked this before here but seems Qatar only fly in J. Could I demand reroute on different airline in F but later in the year? I suspect it will be a fight, but my reading of EU261 would make me think I am entitled to this (whether I get it is a different question). Or I get downgrade compo for Qatar?

• babyg_wc says:

It’s a pandemic, try for a mutually agreeable swap (e.g. Qatar and perhaps some points back), personally I’d rather fly Qatar business va BA first given a choice.

• Ashraj says:

My flights to Seychelles were cancelled by BA for end of May. Was also flying in First. They quite willingly offered Qatar business flights around the same dates. Qatar then cancelled the Doha to Mahé flights so i changed the outbound to a few days earlier to extend our trip. In regards to the Avios ba offered the difference back. I tried to argue for the 75% but they would not budge on that. I have not accepted them yet but am tempted to do so as I’m not sure how much work will be involved to fight for them. Let us know how you get on

• babyg says:

Given whats going on in the world right now i don’t think trying to squeeze every last dime our of an airline is the way to go. As per my last comment, Qatar business is superior to BA first. If they gave you access to CCL + Qatar and your points difference back that would be a win/win IMHO. Oh and BA(not sure about qatar) didnt pay for SEZ lounge access so make sure you have a priority pass for the SEZ lounge.