Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 14th January

Comments (331)

• ComeFlyWithMe says:

Hey all. Have Curve Metal and was planning to pay HMRC.

If using the IHG card (via Curve) to pay HMRC does anybody know if we get hit with the cash advance fee, or does it work ok?

What are the best cards to use with Curve and HMRC/NS&I?

• Mark Peterborough says:

Data point : My Creation IHG free night that originally had to be used by March 2021 and had then been extended to August 2021 ( I think), is now showing as a use by date of December 31st 2021.

• 747_Brat says:

Are the HSBC points transferred over when you upgrade or downgrade between the Premier & WE Cards, or do you have to mandatorily get rid of them before you upgrade/downgrade?
    Thanks.

• Dan says:

Interesting article in the FT about like the future of business travel:

• Lee says:

Data point – Paypal offer on AMEX. It seems paying friend and family with paypal won’t earn you cashback. I tested on one of my card last Thursday but no sign of credit even an email confirm the offer was trigger was received immediately.

• Rob says:

Interesting. I just checked and I have got my £15. Original transactions on 10th, refund is dated 12th.

Looks like I need another plan to trigger the £50 on £250 deal on my Business card.

• YB says:

I tried this with me and the other half. One worked and credit came through. The other – got the email, but not credit a few days later.

• Aston100 says:

Well I can confirm I sent someone £100 this week, as PayPal gift.
      I received an email confirming I’d triggered the offer.
      On my Amex online account, I can see the £15 statement credit.

• GraeM says:

I signed up for Dragonpass with the offer from Red by DUFRY a year or so ago – highlighted on here – card was due to expire last week but it has rolled over to 2022 along with the 9 unused visits.

• Gothbe says:

Anyone made flight bookings on cheap dates in the hope that they will be cancelled with the offer of a free change to a more expensive date?

• ankomonkey says:

I did this last year, but have not yet booked new flights, mainly due to heavy travel restrictions since. I was happy to make the original trip if not cancelled, but was fairly sure they would be.

• BP says:

Yes, last year. I had a stag weekend in September to Lisbon. Flights were £380 with Easyjet. I booked a £70 return on a date I knew would be cancelled and then transferred my flights for free to the dates that would have cost £380.

It worked out well as Coronavirus numbers declined enough during August into September that we actually got to travel!

A few days before travel the flight price was £40 so I rebooked and transferred the £70 to a flight for this year (the wedding got cancelled so we get to go on stag 2.0)

• Gavin says:

Yes, I did it with Sofia. Booked for January and postponed until September. If it hadn’t been cancelled, I would have got an e-Voucher which was fine by me.

• kitten says:

If I had been cashrich this time round I would have been doing that for *at least* the past 6 months. And I;m not the only reader on HfP 🙂

• kitten says:

The refinement was to book First on BA on routes that were clearly going to have First removed.

Not only cancellation rights (i.e. airline-cancels-on-you-rights) but also the fillip of being then eligible to claim (albeit with a fight but suuuure to win) a 75% downgrade compo.

Half the readers of this site have probably been doing this since last August.

Welcome.

• 747_Brat says:

Pretty chuffed today. 🙂 Some lovely personal news (Credit card wise):
    1. Got approved for HSBC Premier Card finally after many weeks of chasing up. I can see the card on my app.
    2. Got my Amex credit limit reinstated after it was reduced unceremoniously earlier this week. Shoutout to @johnny_c-l for suggesting the way to go about reinstating the limit.
    Cheers!