Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Sunday 17th January

Links on Head for Points may pay us an affiliate commission. A list of partners is here.

We have decided to run this daily chat thread on Head for Points during the coronavirus outbreak.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  With the news flow being lighter, we are running fewer ‘Bits’ articles.

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.  At this tricky time, and given that many of you are at home, we want the HfP community to have a place to chat.

Please only comment under the main articles on the site if your comment is directly related to the topic of the article.  This has long-term benefits as it keeps the commentary relevant for people who read those articles in the future.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HfP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Comments (145)

  • lashious says:

    I downgraded from BAPP to blue, no effort at retention or offers, and obviously credit checked me as well without mentioning said check. I’ve totally fallen out of love with them.

    • Peter K says:

      Trouble is that they are the main act in town.

      • Pete says:

        Yup, that’s exactly where I am – really annoyed about the complete lack of offers and their inability to fix that… But they can’t really be beaten in terms of value…

  • Jaime says:

    Have flights on Feb 6th to Santiago booked with avios on the 50% sale. Flights are still not cancelled but pretty sure they will.
    Can I rebook the flights keeping the avios rate of 50%?
    How many times I can rebook these flights?
    Should I hold tight and wait for the cancellation?
    I appreciate any help.

    • Alex says:

      If BA cancel your flight, then you will be able to re-book for different dates(within a year of when you booked it) without incurring any cost and if you moved it by say a month and they cancel again you can move it again. If you call them now and change dates you would then lose the 50% avios sale and they would charge the difference so I would not recommend this!
      You can cancel for £35pp up until 24hrs beforehand with redemption flights so just wait until nearer the time and if BA don’t cancel(unlikely) you can always do it with minimal loss.

      • Chris says:

        Does the 12 months from booking date realign with the rebooking date, or is it always 12 months from the original booking date?

        • AJA says:

          It’s within 12 months of original ticketing which may be the same day or a few days after originally booking.

          • Chris says:

            Thanks, that’s what i thought. Oh well there goes that outside hope of pushing everything back 12 months from the original dates by building in a buffer cancellation to extend the time window

    • Darren says:

      If they cancel any segment you can pick new dates, I’ve just pushed a flight to November from March. This was after a connecting flight cancellation NCL to LHR, in fact they moved the time by 5 minutes but changed the flight number.

    • Colin MacKinnon says:

      If you cancel, you get everything back (except the right to book at 50% avios).

      If BA cancel, you can rebook on same route at a date of your choice – up to 355 days after the date you booked the original ticket.

      Beware, you can change the date – I think – to any time before the end of June if there is avios availability and keep that 50% rate. But you can’t do a voluntary change for a date after that.

      But, if you rebook for – say – April, and you don’t want to travel then but BA decide to fly, then you’ll be cancelling. You won’t then be able to move until – say – September.

      So holding off for BA to cancel gives you the most flexibility.

      I have a ticket to San Diego, was meant to be at Xmas. Now rescheduled to Easter. If BA cancel that, then I will be able to move it to September. Fingers crossed!

      • Darren says:

        The terms as you’ve described I’m sure are correct but I booked in the October 50% Avios sale for flights in March, I asked to move them to November which was successful.

        • Alex says:

          I’ve seen a number of people be successful going past the 355 day cut off within a month or so. However if you wanted to re-book for say the following March you would then have issues. I booked NYC for New Year which was cancelled so now booked for June, which if cancelled with go for Xmas of this year instead.

          • Ian says:

            I’m in a similar position, in that flights to vancouver have been cancelled & they were booked in the avios sale & with a companion voucher. Does anyone know rather than having to rebook the same route (or a destination within the 250 miles limit) whether a voucher can be requested which keeps the same value but allows the booking of an alternative but similar route with the same arrangements (i.e. avios half price and with a companion voucher.)?

          • kitten says:

            no Ian you have to keep it as a booked flight to retain the 50% advantage. As soon as you take a voucher or a refund you get back exactly what you paid value and have to start again.

            There’s plenty of times this question has been answered over and over on this daily thread. If you look at other replies on this same page you will see your choices.

  • bafan says:

    I used the Amex PayPal offer (the spend £70 get £15 back) but I will be getting a partial refund for postage (£7) after my package went AWOL, and that will bring me under £70. If I spend another £7 on something through PayPal would that prevent Amex from taking the credit back?

    • Anuj says:

      I presume so as I think rob said it is cumulative

    • Super Secret Stuff says:

      It is cumulative, so should stay put if you spend the extra money before the refund arrives

      • Andrew says:

        And often if the refund isn’t for the amount that triggered the offer the rebate won’t be clawed back – ie a £70 refund would claw it back but a £7 won’t be seen as connected.

    • bafan says:

      Brill – thank you everyone for answering. I’ll buy a £10 gift card for somewhere from PayPal to cover myself. It’s only £15 but it’s better in my pocket.

  • jjh4yb says:

    Any recent experiences of

    Yesterday I booked a hotel room for work from tonight for 6 nights.

    This morning I’m told that the hotel is closed due to Covid, but I can’t receive a refund unlesd the hotel authorises it!

    Why are they accepting bookings for closed hotels and once the mistake is recognised, surely the refund should be immediate?

    • Super Secret Stuff says:

      Ring the hotel and tell them authorise it or I’ll do a charge back. They should do it fairly quick

      • Algor says:

        Threaten hotel to do a chargeback against, this made me giggle a bit.

    • graham says:

      I have had this with with a hotel that did not have any rooms fitting the description advertised, and as you, stated that the hotel needed to authorise a refund so got in touch with credit card company and did charge back with no problem told me that they paid for the room prior to my arrival which I am sure is most unlikely
      if the hotel has been paid for a room that they were never going to sell it is unlikely that they will authorise a refund

  • Iris says:

    Etihad credit question. If someone has about £1k of credit from own ticket, do they allow you to use the credit towards your ticket and your child’s or do you need to use all the credit for your own ticket?

  • Tony says:

    If BA cancels a flight, I know that I can rebook for a future date at no extra cost. But is there any scope to change the destination free of charge or does it absolutely have to be the same route?

    • Anna says:

      There seems to be a rule that you can change destination as long as it’s within 300 miles.

      • Jody says:

        Is that just for long haul, or for any route? We’ve just had Gibraltar flights in march cancelled, I know we can rebook for any date, but could we change the destination if we wanted to anywhere within 250 miles?

        • Jonathan says:

          If you want to change destination using the 300 mile rule then you need to fly on original dates or within a 2 week window.

          If BA are still flying (or selling tickets to Gibraltar) on your new preferred dates then you can’t decide to go to Seville, Faro or Lisbon instead.

  • FloriGuy says:

    Interesting to see a Chat thread with no MS chat. Has that gone off-site now or are people finally calming it?

  • Mark says:

    One thing I do wonder is what if Curve went bump, would all the pending payments made that day disappear into thin air and who would decide customers get paid back?

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.