Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 20th January

Comments (214)

• Tracy says:

I want to top up hargreaves lansdown and charles stanley direct. I ususally just do the monthly dd from bank and forget about it. I want to do a substantial topup pre year end, is there any way to earn any cc points rather than direct from my bank account?

• KS says:

There was a discussion yesterday on getting the plastic card instead of metal Amex plat and vice versa. Is it possible to have both at the same time?

• Alex says:

If you currently have a metal card, I believe if you ask for an additional card – which will still be in your name(not a supp card) it comes as a plastic version, or you can request it. Supp cards seem to come as plastic aswell if that’s any help

• KS says:

I asked about it over chat and was informed that plastic platinum charge has been discontinued so no additional card. That seems a bit odd considering reports of customers getting plastic cards.

• Charlieface says:

Additional card in this context means a supplementary in the main holder’s name for accounting purposes

• HarryB. says:

Hey fellow HfPointers, would you expect Singapore to reopen borders to tourism before May?

• mr_jetlag says:

I can’t even go there for work right now, so I highly doubt it.

• pauline says:

Doubtful I think – I have a booking in June (rebooked from last May) and I fully expect it to be cancelled

• John W says:

I have a booking for May also and I am wondering if I will be allowed entry !

• The real John says:

May 2022.

• BP says:

No chance. 2022 for tourism I’d expect.

• HarryB. says:

Thank you all, that’s how it looks like but thought I’d first take in your valuable views as well. 🙂

• Dubious says:

If you really want to visit in theory you could investigate going to one of the low risk countries (Brunei, New Zealand, Australia, Vietnam) and wait there for 14 days, then apply for an Air Travel Pass. (Perfectly legal).
      However your chance of getting into one of these countries from the UK will be equally problematic.

• kitten says:

…and it could all change again, anytime.

That’s the really difficult thing

• Andrew says:

I’ve got flights booked for end of April, booked in June (when April seemed so far away that everything was going to be ok by then). But in reality I think Singapore will be like Australia and probably last on the list of countries to open their borders to tourism. I have USA booked for September too, which I’m more hopeful for – but who knows.

• Tomb says:

I’ve got flights to Miami in August, not massively optimistic though

• James Vickers says:

Its ironic their travel bans are so harsh when some of their covid policies domestically have been so light

• Anna says:

+1, I’m hoping that our vaccination rate and theirs will be roughly the same and travel will be permitted then, albeit probably with pre-flight testing as children won’t be vaccinated.

• Sina says:

Do you have a link to the offer? I couldn’t find any mention online?

• Pete C says:

I got my first £6 Deliveroo credit on 7th Jan (not my statement date)

• Jonny says:

Mine took just over a month to credit. Transaction 1 Dec, credit 7 Jan

• Steven says:

Agreed. The offers on the Business Plat cards leave a lot to be desired when compared with those available on Personal Plat.

• Anne says:

I downgraded my BAPP to the Blue BA card a few weeks before the end of my Amex membership year. I’ve already qualified for my companion voucher (well, I got two in this membership year but that’s an anomaly). On the account page of my new Blue card I can see a spend countdown saying if I hit £20k by the end of my Amex year I’ll qualify for a companion voucher. I’m only £2k off. I’m wondering if it’s worth trying for three in a year ….

• Doc says:

Standard AMEX computer glitch when you downgrade. No third voucher for you I am afraid 🙂