Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 2nd February

Comments (273)

• AJA says:

Not travel related but condolences to Captain Sir Tom Moore’s family who died today. This is so sad. He was an inspiration and did a wonderful thing raising so much money for the NHS. Just reported on the BBC.

• AJA says:

oops Captain Tom died not his family!

• Yuff says:

Very sad 😞

• bafan says:

Notice how nobody is asking why a 100 year old man felt the need to fundraise for a health service that we pay for through taxation? Nobody is questioning why the family thought bringing a 100 year old man on holiday to Barbados was a good idea, especially in a pandemic?

I’m equally as sad for this man as I am for anybody else that has died from this pandemic. It’s sad that his family was allowed to be there when so many others were not (when my Aunt passed, my family were not allowed to be present and said goodbye via Skype). Unsure as to why they would get an exemption, if they did. Unsure why the flag is at half mast at Downing St now when it wasn’t before today – he isn’t more or less valuable than anybody else.

Not sure why this country is obsessed with lionizing individuals instead of looking at the structural issues present that lead to these outcomes in the first place.

• Anuj says:

I think it says a lot about how sorry the government truly is about the deaths when they lower the flag for Captain Tom (which is totally valid) but didn’t do the same when we passed 100,000 deaths. They don’t really care about Captain Tom they are just using him to win votes by exploiting nationalism.

• Travel Strong says:

Well said. We should respect round numbers above all else. Especially if they arbitrarily coincide with a base 10 system.

• Sandra says:

Barbados was on his bucket list and, from what I read, their government invited him and his family to go. They left before lockdown at Christmas, like many others, and I should think (from his personality) he probably decided he’d not much time left so he might as well make the most of what little there was and knew the risks, YOLO. Being a true Yorkshireman it was also FREE, which is always a bonus! If going was right or wrong, who can say apart from his family.
        Not sure why family were allowed to visit at the hospital although he was on a ward not ICU but that does seem to be an exception for him & his family which is not really on when others have not been allowed.
        As for BoJo, he’s just using it as a deflection from everything else that’s going on (in my opinion).

• Tracey says:

He went to Barbados when travel was permitted, it was between lockdown 2 and the current lockdown.
        His family were permitted to be at his bedside as apparently we have learnt from mistakes in 2020, and now it is allowed for everyone.
        I think he died of pneumonia complicated by covid, rather than covid directly, though I know this is probably a pedantic point.

• Blindman says:

Maybe if he had stayed at home shielding (as persons of his age have been told to do-he had not had the vaccine) he would still be alive?

• Alex M says:

• Charlieface says:

Maybe he would have died anyway, given his age?

• Callum says:

Yeah, you’re right Blindman, bafan and ilk. F*** the 100 year old man who raised tens of millions of pounds for fulfilling a lifelong dream and going on a fully legal holiday, organised by Barbados and BA as a reward. And f*** the no-good family for just trying to cash in on it, right?

You whinge, as you frequent a blog that’s spent the last year promoting international travel and, although (thankfully) vastly cut back, regularly gave handy tips along the lines of “I’m not telling you to break the rules, but it you do X,Y,Z you won’t get caught”. If you’re so angry about his holiday that you feel the need to personally attack and insult a grieving family, why on Earth are you here?

I’m sure most people here look down on you with the same disgust I am right now, but I cannot wait until this is over and I can emigrate again!

• bafan says:

I hope Captain Tom rests in peace, my issue is with how this is being treated, not the man himself. My point is that the structural issues in this country are never dealt with.

This man should not have become a public figure, he had completed his service to this country and had earned a quiet retirement in good health. Government defunding of healthcare in real terms and failed outsourcing led this man to do what he did.

And the “RIP Captain Tom” crowd will go back to voting for the Tories without acknowledging they are a big part of the reason we are in this mess in the first place.

• The real John says:

Many people are questioning those things, and the questions have been answered.

Regarding deathbed presence, it depends on the policy of your hospital. The families of all dying patients at the hospital where he passed have been allowed to physically attend.

• Blindman says:

“What’s the point of staying alive for another year or maybe two (staring at the same four walls) and never going to Barbados?”

Because he put himself at risk AND OTHERS. by going out and travelling.

We were all allowed to mingle at Xmas for one day -Those who had some brains did not.

Others did and look where that ended up.

• bafan says:

Exactly. Lockdown tiers are irrelevant when you are 100 years old. He should have been at home with his family, waiting for the vaccine. I suspect the family wanted a freebie holiday and the man went along with it.

• Alex M says:

But it WAS allowed to travel when he did (so I was told and I can’t be bothered to check).

• Rob says:

He was allowed to travel when he did, as was I when I disappeared to the Middle East for 17 nights. Unless you were in Tier 3 for all of December, you could have done the same. The Government put these places onto the ‘travel corridors’ list and was happy for you to go.

• AJA says:

I am very sorry for your loss and that you weren’t able to be with your aunt at the end. I can only guess that the authorities made an exception for Sir Tom’s family because of his exceptional fundraising activity.

What he did was not expected nor does it replace the government’s responsibilities. It was a very generous thing he did as was every single penny contributed by everyone.

That is why the flag has been lowered as a mark of respect to him but it does not diminish the lives of anyone who has died of this awful virus. I see it more as a collective mark of respect.

• Blindman says:

Just to be clear-as this Forum reply is hopeless.

I was +1 to Bafan and NOT AJA

• AJA says:

@Blindman, no problem.
            @ Bafan, Sir Tom wanted to fundraise. He was not asked to do it. He wanted to make a difference and show his appreciation for the NHS. It’s more than I’ve ever done and it was an amazing thing to do. I celebrate that fact and his contribution in this last awful year. Well done him! Also the money raised actually went to NHS Charities Together and not the NHS per se.

• bafan says:

He should not have needed to fundraise, I guess that is the point. The government love the optics because it is now common belief that he was “fundraising for the NHS”. National Insurance is “fundraising for the NHS” and we pay for that already.

• memesweeper says:

He was fundraising for NHS charities, not *the* NHS.

He wanted to do something and good on him. At 100 I’d not be shielding either I don’t think.

I think what he did was wonderful, if it was COVID that tipped him over the edge that’s just twisting the knife on the horrors that this disease is causing.

I did not, and have never, voted conservative.

• kitten says:

I’m having enough trouble trying to persuade my 82-year-old ex-neighbour, he is fighting fit, and a dear family member also in her 80’s, trying to persuade them to stay at home and not see other people.

They both know they’ve not got much time left, are intelligently aware of the risks but they just want to go out and do things while they still can. They are willing to take their chances.

If travelling in a period when travel was allowed, would you have denied Sir Tom Barbados? If it was my neighbour or family member, probably I couldn’t. It’s their choice. No I am not happy with it. But they’ve earned their choice and were not risking anybody else.

• Blindman says:

• Chef says:

Totally inappropriate Bafan.

• Tariq says:

Doesn’t make it untrue though.

Fair play to the man for living out his dreams and going out to Barbados. Better that than parked up in a nursing or care home like many elderly people, just waiting to die.

• Mco says:

Any recent feedback on lastminutes FullFlex policy. Are they still offering 90% back without asking questions if you need to cancel?

• Bill says:

I cancelled a flight last May using the full flex policy. Took a few months to get the voucher which I have used for hotels later this year

• Tony says:

As expected, my BA flight in F to Dubai for March has just been cancelled. I made the booking during the 50% Avios reduction promo. I’m figuring that my best option – in order to retain the 50% reduction – is to rebook a flight much later in the year (maybe Nov or Dec). If I still can’t fly by then, then I could always cancel or take the FTV. Does this sound logical?

• Andrew says:

Yes makes sense if you’re not needing the cash back now.

• Alex D says:

Makes complete sense, if they cancel again you then have all the same options again. As you say can also cancel for FTV. See Rob’s comment on first page about FTV pro/con

• kitten says:

Yes but watch carefully as we do not know how long ftv’s will be offered

• SM says:

Just be mindful of the 355 day rule, BA would be happy to re book for a flight up until Oct this year. We had J tickets booked for a family of four this month, flights cancelled by BA, got a refund instead of FTV. Would have preferred to re book for Xmas time had that ootin been available.

• M says:

I have set my Tesco points to autoconvert to Virgin (to get the extra 2000 points bonus). My points disappeared from Tesco but did not appear in Virgin yet – is that normal? How long does that usually take? Thanks

• dezbez says:

Usually the best part of a week, if not more. I’m sure there are good reasons but it seems an inordinate length of time

• ChasP says:

yes thats normal Theres always a dead period around when the points are converted to vouchers around 7 days

• ChasP says:

suspect (without any real evidence) that t takes this long for the Tesco computers to log everything youve bought in the last 3 months & crunch the numbers

• Blenz101 says:

That would make sense prior to faster vouchers becoming available that they can turn around next day. You can also see statements online at any point so the numbers are being crunched throughout the quarter.

I guess they still have a big print run to do and will undertake some auditing but even that should be reduced with the £300 cap in place.

Frustrating!

• Navara says:

• Aston100 says:

***Amazes me considering the perceived demographic of this site no one reads the T’s &C’s up to 28 days***
        I think Rob has insinuated a number of times that the comments section is home to working class plebs from outside London, while the majority of the (silent) readership is made up of Multi millionaires from London.
        Or something equally bizarre.

So therefore, it shouldn’t be a surprise when us blue collar plebs can’t understand t&cs, on account of working down pit all day.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Mine were set for auto convert but nothing yet also. I’m sure they will arrive soon like they always do.

• Harry T says:

Has anyone managed an entirely remote mattress run at a Hyatt property? I’m thinking of doing this to get Hyatt Globalist.

• kitten says:

Ahem…. I think you want someone who can check in as your partner or brother in law.
      I’d oblige but not anywhere near a Hyatt.
      I was wondering if Rhys needs some office space.