Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 4th February

Comments (223)

• TGLoyalty says:

The Langley to Cat 7!

Not a surprise but slowly becoming less of a deal on points.

• babyg says:

Agreed i considered it a bargain at 35k, but questionable at 60k, unsure what cat 7 will mean for redemption cost, but I would say 50k is the most id pay to stay there.

• BJ says:

Langley up to Cst. 7 lol. Some good value reductions elsewhere including Japan and Indonesia.

• TGLoyalty says:

New JWM Muscat goes down from 5 to 4
        La Caserne Chanzy Hôtel & Spa in Reims which looks nice goes down from 6 to 5

• Anna says:

We’ll all be hanging onto our 36k point redemptions for the summer then!

• Harry T says:

How have you even found 36k redemptions in the summer, unless it’s a random week night? The Langley is pretty much always peak or standard at weekends in the summer now.

• Tony says:

+1 Booked a 36k slot in July…there still appear to be quite a few dates available at this rate in June/July

• Anna says:

3 nights at May/June half term which is normally peak – 2 on the 36 point rate and 1 paid night so we don’t look too cheap 🤣

• Rob says:

There is a German place called Schloss Lieser which looks interesting, jumping 2 categories. This implies it is underpriced now and, when you check, it is. 20k max for €200+ in August.

• TGLoyalty says:

Yes this came up once before when I was looking at places in Frankfurt. it’s about 1:45 from Frankfurt in what looks like a very small village on a river.

• Martyn Ford says:

Just had BA notification of seat change from Club Suite to Club World LHR-DXB in April and from F to CW on the return leg. This is an Avios booking. Am I entitled to a refund on this basis? Thank you.

• Rob says:

The downgrade should allow free cancellation, yes.

• Martyn Ford says:

Many thanks Rob.

• Alex D says:

I believe, if you accept under protest and fly. You can claim after the fact for the downgrade and get compensation for the cash value of the downgrade… i am sure others would know more but i think i have seen previous comments about it.

• kitten says:

75% of the value of the F leg downgraded to J.

If paid by avios 75% of the ‘taxes” back except for what was actually taxes. So that’s most of it then.

Avios paid back to you due also 75% of avios you paid for the leg, not paid back as avios but at 1.6p per avios for the 75%.

Can be useful to tot that lot up and see if flying it, keep your boarding pass then compo claim is worth it.

Must not accept any refund in cash or avios, not even partial, in order to claim these rights and keep it ‘involuntary’.

• Ukgeorge says:

I’ve just completed a status match with virgin from BA. Do Virgin Atlantic have a priority phone number for gold members? If not what is the best way to contact them to rebook a flight? Thanks

• Alan says:

Not in the info I received with my match. I rebooked a couple of days ago 5m wait on the standard number.

• S879 says:

My Tesco to Virgin auto convert points are there but no 2000 bonus points. Has anyone received theirs?

• GR says:

How long are BA refunds typically taking at the moment (Avios + Taxes)?

• BJ says:

Instant for avios and vouchers, up to 48h for money.

• Anna says:

Not for me, I submitted a refund request online on the 18th, the cash arrived today and still no sign of the avios. A phone refund request for another booking on the 21st saw the avios plus 241 returned immediately but still no sign of the cash.

• GR says:

Not for me either. Phoned up a week ago and still no sign of either…

• SM says:

Cancelled an Avios booking last week, Avios and 241 credited immediately, cash back on card in 72 hours.

• James. says:

Starting to loose faith in Virgin Money. Just got my Free Credit card statement. Spend is £11,000 for the period. I work that out as being 8,250 points based on 0.75 per £ spent. Why on earth and I being credited 5,178 points

Note, spend includes refunds.

• BuildBackBetter says:

What’s ur credit limit?

• babyg says:

“Note, spend includes refunds.” refunds equals negative points…

• James. says:

Credit limit is £11,000 and the refund cancel out the spend for them purchases so in fact spend was £13,000, refund was £2,000. So still not 100% sure why I don’t have the full points.

Going to give them a call tomorrow.

• mark2 says:

Have you checked on a month by month basis?

• Sina says:

I have the same issue, seems they took the points for refunds Without caring that My total spend minus the refunds is still more than my limit!

• Anna says:

Well my April flights to DXB are cancelled. Given that I probably won’t be able to change to October (more than 365 days) and that I’d like to keep the 50% avios value, what’s my best option? I keep losing track of all the change options. Would they move them to another destination later in April or May if we can travel then?

• Anna says:

If against all odds we can travel by Easter, is there any chance they would agree to re-route me on Emirates or would this require a massive fight?

• Harry T says:

Wouldn’t bother picking a fight over Easter, there bugger all chance of being allowed to flight to Dubai then. Ask to be loved to October and insist they honour your EC261 rights – when they refuse, try HUACA. When they refuse again, just decide whether it’s worth the hassle to challenge legally!

• TGLoyalty says:

If we can travel by Easter BA will put the flights back on.

Unless you need the cash why not just hang on?

• Andrew says:

Although considering Dubai is on the “red list” – even if we can travel by Easter, that probably won’t be one of the places.

• TGLoyalty says:

There was no real epidemiological reason behind that decision.

With over 30% of the population having had its first dose I think there will be no reason for them to be on the list in 2 months.

• Rob says:

Massive fight. May be possible with Qatar. Or buy 4 tickets for cash on Emirates and take BA to court for the £ ….

• Anna says:

Thanks Rob, I always forget QR is OW. That’s Plan A sorted then …

• kitten says:

isnt there the chance for BA to codesharr some QR routea now. Would the monetary a
          setup behind this nake it slifhtly easier for BA if someone asked and really wanted to do it.

• Polly says:

Wouldn’t even countenance putting us on QR to Asia. Insisted we chose somewhere within a 300 mile radius, thus out to Singapore bk fm HKG, for Nov. Battle on your hands. They try very hard to keep you on BA.

• Mouse says:

Rebook out of your own pocket and do MCOL?

• Tony says:

I was told by You First to wait for a while as BA may relax the ‘must travel by 30th June 2021’ criteria as part of the 50% promo, in which case they could rebook/ticket me for a flight in Oct/Nov.

• Anna says:

That’s interesting but I think I’ll be up against BA’s rule that they can only re-book you within a year of the original booking. It’s not a legal thing, more to do with their IT I think.

• Ryan says:

Last week I managed to move a first class return booking to Sydney that was booked in the 50% off sale and with a 2-4-1 to late December this year from my original booking of April this year. It’s a couple of months over a year after I booked it, they wouldn’t let me do this over the phone but somehow managed to change online. Fingers crossed we can travel to Aus by Christmas!

• Anna says:

I can’t make changes online, I can only assume it’s due to domestic connections. It’s been the case with all my cancelled bookings.

• kitten says:

Rubbish they just have to reissue endorsed INVOL (as IATA specifically states 1yr validity restriction only applies for voluntary rerouting by passenger not involuntary eg due airline cancelling) – Charlieface has advised this a couple of times.

Or if the above is too bug a finger for BA to lift then BA can just issue a new ticket referencing the old one.

• kitten says:

Eh? what is BA on about? you have rerouting rights given to you already by statute which override such a preferred restriction by BA.

• Polly says:

They kept saying to me that the rules are different for a tkt from the sale! Wouldn’t let me go a day over the year…might give it another try.. they seem to change the rules to please themselves.

• babyg says:

Was your flight cancelled or just an equipment swap with no first.. .less options if its the later..

• Anna says:

Plenty of time for everyone to get back from the red list countries then 🙄

• TGLoyalty says:

A week to actually sort out some hotels then.

• Anna says:

Apparently security guards will accompany people outside who want fresh air or a smoke. Or just to leave, presumably as there’s no power to detain them?!