Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 4th February

Comments (223)

• S says:

It’s anyone else *still* waiting for their bonvoy bonus elite nights to post?

• S879 says:

My Marriott Travel Package expires on 1st August 2021. Do I need to checkout by 1st August or start my stay before 1st August?

• David says:

I believe you just need to book by then.

• S879 says:

Oh I thought it would need to be used by then but am not sure if I need to check in by 1st August or check out. I don’t want to start my stay and say end by 3rd August to realise its not valid with a big bill to pay.

• Tanya says:

I’m in NI and we have a western Canada road trip planned for July but not holding much hope! Having been to England many times, it’s generally been city breaks apart from Yorkshire/ Lake District. Any ideas for a 7 day trip on southern England? I know places are all pretty booked up by was thinking Cornwall/ Devon/ cotswalds. Looking for nice hotels, good food options!

• Michael C says:

Hi Tanya – if you can go first fortnight in July, you’ll still be fine for Cornwall.
      Not sure of the “level” of accommodation you’re looking for, but many excellent cute B&Bs. Foodie capital is Padstow, but in general lots of decent fish everywhere. My one go-to is Fistral Fish (needs to be booked way ahead).

A bit less crowded but v gorgeous is N. Somerset/N. Devon: Lorna Doone country, Dunster Castle, etc. The Old House in Nether Stowey is gorgeous.

Cotswolds always spectacular, of course. Stow Lodge Hotel cute old-Style in great town. The Carpenters Arms in Burford for great food in lovely pub with garden. Drinks at the Swan at Swinbrook with its Mitford Sisters past.

Sure it’ll be fantastic wherever you end up!

• Anna says:

Dorset is a bit quieter (though still busy in the summer) than Devon and Cornwall and absolutely beautiful with loads of places to visit.

• Charlieface says:

What’s in Dorset? It’s about as interesting as a piece of haddock.

I went to the Bournemouth/Poole area a while back, and was bored stiff. The only thing they have to offer is a sandy beach, and Portland Bill a few miles away.

For some reason, loads of London people go there. But they wouldn’t know a proper National Park if it jumped up and hit them in the face.

• Rob says:

You should have gone to the Russell-Cotes Gallery in Bournemouth. There are some decent pitch and putt golf courses nearby too.

The town itself is appalling though, obviously (except for the Hilton and the museum above).

• old bob says:

New Forest is nice, lots of good walks and some great pubs, in fact i’m travelling down there this weekend for a house clearance. Unfortunately the pubs are closed.

• Charlieface says:

Having grown up in Geordieland, with 5 excellent national parks or AONBs in an hour or so drive, don’t think a couple of golf courses is going to cut it.

I’m used to walking holidays, not pottering around town.

• Darren says:

Had a nice stay in Marlow last year, plenty of foodie options around in town and close by.

• Darren says:

I’m currently planning a trip to Dartmouth and the surrounding area, Julia Bradbury was on tv last night in Salcombe which looked good. The hotel costs will be high from what I’ve been seeing.

• TGLoyalty says:

I’ve often got my eye on restaurants in Marlow when I’m staying within driving distance but something always comes up

Hopefully ill make it during 2021!

• John says:

If I booked a flight and car hire through BA Holidays which was paid for partly by cash and partly by applying a travel voucher, then BA cancel the new flight does anyone know how they process the refund? Is it all as cash (obviously preferable) or is another voucher issued to the value of the original and only cash on the cash element of the holiday?

• ChasP says:

have a Virgin UC flight to LAX booked for mid may using points & upgrade voucher

assume i’m in the same boat as with BA cancel now and refund (-£35) or wait for them to cancel
    1) any data on when they are likely cancel eg 14 days before i
    2) will be offered rebooking regardless of UC redemption availability ?

• Jonathan says:

Virgin left it late to cancel my CPT flights. Supposed to depart tonight & got the e-mail 7 days ago although flight has been unavailable for sale in all classes for about 4 weeks.

They’ve offered no fare difference rebooking within 21 days of original dates or 31st March (whichever is later), refund or change dates/destination up to end of year with no change fee.

I bought in the 50% miles sale so may try & push for free change to later in the year when things are a bit clearer.

• Travel Strong says:

Virgin are still running LAX flights almost every day, for cargo more than anything – so there is no guarantee it will be cancelled.
      There is also good reward flight availability in to the future, so for peace of mind I chose to move my own flight now rather than wait it out.
      I was prepared to pay 30pp to do so, and agreed to the fee during the WhatsApp discussion – but it was never actually charged.
      I however cancelled outright, and made a new booking myself (due to the reward sale at the time), rather than moving it.

nd finally, when cancelling flights via WhatsApp I have nodded along to the £30 fee, and not been charged it.

• Gothbe says:

Is it still possible to upgrade to platinum online? I had planned to upgrade the green charge card but the link I have says that you have to ring customer service to do it. There used to be an online application

• Secret Squirrel says:

Virgin Tesco auto convert points arrived overnight, soemone on here previously was concerned with delay.

• JohnT says:

Easyjet refunds – even though I originally applied online, phoned through and refund processed within 3 days. Excellent.

• Matthew says:

I’ve got a ‘zeroed’ out flight with easyjet when you try to book but not cancelled yet in MMB. Is this their usual practice before cancelling or is it just a waiting game to see who crumbles first?!

• Charlieface says:

Yes I think it’s usual. Both of those are true.

• kitten says:

sold out means their computer runs havent got to it yet to send you your cancellation. Might take 2 weeks or more.

I think very, very occasionally a flight might come back or have an extra one added back into the day so keep watching.