Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 4th February

Comments (223)

• Andrew says:

I think for the first time in years I got zero saved offers on my Amex – literally nothing of interest/use. Let’s hope things pick up once things reopen.

• Harry T says:

Don’t you like Kiehl’s? 😊 that’s the only offer I’ve found useful out of the current catalogue (already used PayPal one).

• Michael C says:

Hadn’t seen that Harry, thanks! Bit more justifiable than LeLabo prices ;o)

• Andrew says:

But Le Labo personalise the labels for you – I had my apartment address put on a candle. Worth the extra I think!

• Harry T says:

Just stay at an EDITION and get “free” La Labo toiletries 😊

Be aware the Kiehl’s is only valid for one purchase on each card the offer is saved to. I used one in their 30% off sale but I think it may have ended now.

• Dan says:

Not sure if I missed an article on this but this morning I got an email from IHG enouraging me to apply for their UK credit card. My recollection is that it was no longer available to new customers.

Could be making a glorious return?

• Anna says:

That’s the free card – it’s the premium one with the higher earning rate and free night certificate which was withdrawn.

• WaynedP says:

I went back to Rob’s recent article (see under the Credit Card Offers category on HfP) and was put off by the comments of users who had experienced nightmares dealing with Creation admin

• TGLoyalty says:

It’s only an issue if you need to speak to them

99.9% of the time you never will.

• TGLoyalty says:

Await the

“We are an island just shut it all off” comments.

• kitten says:

interesting about BCG (tuberculosis vaccination) % in population, possibly having a negative correlation with covid deaths

• memesweeper says:

BCG coverage could also be correlated with decent healthcare…

For a while I’ve been thinking, when all this has died down and we start trying to learn lessons globally, we’ll see international travel, in particular long haul, as an ongoing risk of sudden transmission of new, nasty, pathogens. Low probability / high impact. It should probably be taxed accordingly. Ditto indoor animal food factories and Asian wet markets.

• kitten says:

Personally I’d be more interested in ‘taxing’ the laboratory in Wuhan, highly specialist apparently in manipulating things like coronavirus? apparently does this sort of stuff for WHO? Daily Mail on a Saturday? about 3 weeks ago. Apparently has had manipulated virus material escape before, and currently missing an employee. Hard to believe but…..

Or did you really think someone ate a raw pangolin?

Sorry @Pangolin – no animals were harmed in the writing of this comment.

• Mouse says:

They plugged a load of variables into a model and looked at which ones were correlated to covid rates. If you test enough variables you will inevitably get some positive correlations. Correlation is not causation.

• mark2 says:

The Nectar app talks about ‘750 pts each time you spend £35 at Sainsburys’ first ten times. Has anyone had this as well as the 10,000 points or applying please?

• Rob says:

It’s a different credit card.

• BJ says:

I’ve had that one before, waiting for the other variant to arrive. You can close one card and apply for another or churn but you need to wait a while. Somebody reported it is only three months.

• Sarah says:

My IHG AMB is due to expire at end March as will the AMB voucher. Does anytime know if this will be extended? I had a booking at Kimpton London this weekend but they cancelled (and we are not allowed to travel to it anyway).

• Lula says:

Same re having a booking and it being shut. I emailed before it was cancelled and asked about Ambassador extension and was told no.

• ChrisC says:

I wouldn’t count on a further extension if I’m being realistic but it would be useful.

Mine is due 1st March and had an email earlier this week about renewal. I might let it lapse and start again later in the year when I have some prospective IC bookings.

But if they were to extend later in the spring then I’d lose out on anything they do offer if I hadn’t renewed.

IHG do offer a once only extension of 2 months or 6 months (if you’ve been AMB for a couple of years) but that only applies to the status not the weekend voucher (but I’ve seen reports of that being extended but those look to be errors). You need to ask for it explicitly.

• Chrism20 says:

I got the six month extension and managed to also get the BOGOF extended but I had to put in a good bit of effort. I also had attempted to use it roughly half a dozen times with each one being cancelled by the property which may also have helped the cause.

• Dance-Ace-Base says:

When the hotel called to say they had to cancel my last chance booking I said it was a shame I wouldn’t get to use the expiring voucher, just in conversation, no ulterior motive. They said they’d see what they could do and a few days later 10,000 points landed in my account.

Not much, but I’d already given up on it and they did it with no real prompting from me. I was happy to get anything when I’d expected nothing.

That was done by the hotel, not Ambassador customer service. i think the voucher is gone unless you ask the hotel.

For the membership itself, I think the best option is not to renew until just before the next stay where you might make use of the benefits. There’s no advantage to an extension or a renewal unless you’re going to be staying.

• Matt says:

I’ve resigned myself to not being able to use my voucher. On the other hand I’ve resigned myself to not spending $200 to renew AMB for at least 8 months.

• Rob says:

Trying to understand the 4 link/unlink rules for the nectar Amex tie up and hoping someone can help.

I’m currently linked to my own personal Avios account. However my mother and partner would both look to transfer their balance to me at the nearest convenience. Would I be right in thinking this would work:

Unlink my account > link with mothers account

Unlink with mother’s account > link with partners account

Unlink with partners account > link with my own account again

Would this sequence be in the 4 link rule?

Thanks

• Navara says:

Beware. You’re account could be investigated and closed. See the main article last page

• BJ says:

What am I missing, why allow us to link and unlink four times if they are then going to close our accounts for doing so?

• ChrisC says:

I don’t think they envisaged people using this feature to move avios between accounts on a mass basis all at once within days of the nectar/avios tie up coming into existence.

Yesterday’s case was also a household account so no real need to move avios around because the points are pooled anyway.

• old bob says:

It depends on what you call a household account. If you were pooling with a family member that you didn’t live with it wouldn’t really be a household. If you were pooling with a husband /wife/civil partner that you were living with I guess it would. I pooled with my old mucker Geoff who technically doesn’t live in the same house, but an annex, so I don’t know if that counts.

• BJ says:

Thanks, don’t the accounts need to stay linked to get the 500 bonus avios in the current transfer offer?

• Alex D says:

In theory yea but as mentioned in main article, someone did this and now has their account closed and under investigation. If you add multiple people to your Nectar account, you can get them to close the other accounts and transfer the points. I did this with my partners and her points are now in my nectar account no issue – may be easier and also means your mother and partner will have nectar cards which earn into your account from then on

• Andrew says:

Or maybe go via the official route:-

We’ve got more than one Nectar card in the family. How can I combine them into a shared account?

Answer
      Yes, up to 99 card holders can share the same account.

Combining existing cards
      If you’re the main card holder for your account, we can close your existing card and combine the points you’ve collected into a shared account.

Adding family and friends who don’t yet have a card
      We can add new Nectar cards to your account, and you’ll all share the same points balance. To add someone, you need to be the main card holder for that account. Just chat with us and we’ll get it sorted for you.

• ChrisC says:

That’s a different issue Andrew.

The problem appears to be using the nectar – avios link up to get around the rules for moving avios between BAEC accounts and in yesterday’s report within a HHA account,.

• Ikaz says:

Hilton Experiences just added packages for the virtual McLaren tour if anyone was
    interested (2 currently available)

• Anna says:

Data point for BA refunds. I requested one for an award flight on Jan 18th, this morning the taxes/fees and seat selection charges are showing on my Amex, but no avios yet. This was a refund request submitted online for a cancelled flight.

• Andrew says:

I’ve had that – if the avios don’t come back straight away, it will be lost in the system and had to call them to ‘release’ the avios back to me.