Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 13th February

Comments (154)

• memesweeper says:

My local big store does , my smaller closer one doesn’t.

• memesweeper says:

I’ve received a notification from HSBC making an explicit change to their T&Cs disallowing business use of their World Elite product. Heads up for anyone shovelling VAT or the like through there’s.

• Zoe says:

If you are a new Nectar / Sainsbury’s customer avoid the shop and scan for now. I have done about 4 normal in person shops and just got an email offering me 1000 points for my first shop and scan before 27/02

• lumma says:

That offer comes and goes quite regularly. Obviously don’t sign up to it before they offer you it. My last offer the expired day before the BA deal was announced and I thought I missed out. Got the email today and I’m now off to collect some free points!

• Chrism20 says:

Also after you have signed up and used it don’t use it again until you get the smart shop misses you email with extra points for using it again.

• Lumma says:

That’ll not be an issue. My local Sainsbury’s doesn’t even have the separate Smart Shop payment area so there’s no real benefit to it anyway

• Chrism20 says:

@Lumma there should be a QR code somewhere on the wall that you can use to bypass the checkouts if you have a card on your app

• Yorkieflyer says:

What is this shop and scan of which you speak?

• TGLoyalty says:

Shopping using the app to scan then quick checkout

• yorkieflyer says:

ah, I see, cheers, self serve checkout to frustrating for me, automaton hectoring re bagging area and so on….

• Colin MacKinnon says:

Yorkieflyer, it is much better than that!

You scan the items as you put them in your bag, and then just scan a code at the checkout and you are away. Skips all that hectoring.

• Zana says:

Do you first shop for 1,000 points and then hold until you get the second email – Sainsbury’s will offer you 500 points for your second shop and another 1,000 points for your third shop, provided you do it by a certain time as stated in the email. So expect 2,500 in total for using the shop and scan if you haven’t used it before. My points all got credited within 28 days of the shop.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

I’ve never used shop and scan and never had those offers. Maybe they target based on your frequent shops and wether they have it installed?

• Roger says:

Sorry this might have been asked already but search didn’t work.

Does AMEX £20 back on £100+ spend at Google Nest work for other items such as Pixel 5?
    If so, is there any way to use more than one card?

• BLT says:

In the past the offer has worked on any spend. Not sure there is a way to split spend on more cards.

• Rich says:

Worked on a purchase of the new Chromecast. I think any spend at the Google store counts.

The Chromecast is £90, with £60 worth of Netflix credit (including existing subscribers).Not a bad deal. Add an ethernet adapter for £20, or USB headphone adapter for £12, to get over £100.

• TechnoT says:

Worked for me for 2 Chromecasts (140 quid + 60 Netflix credit).

• MilesOnPoint says:

Offer T&C’s say “Nest Speakers & Chromecast” but I bought Nest WiFi Router (doesn’t have built in speaker, unlike the Nest WiFi point) and the £20 credit still posted on my BA Amex

• Andrew says:

Can nectar points be used to buy third party gift cards?

• s says:

is anyone else still waiting for their bonvoy elite bonus nights to post?!

• Sloth says:

For those who have taken out Sainsbury’s life insurance and have had the nectar points payout, could you advise when you received them? One t&c says The points will be added to your Nectar account within 60 days, whilst another one further down says 60 days after the 5th monthly payment so was wondering if people had first hand experience? Thanks

• Crafty says:

Can anyone confirm that Nectar points are earned in a Sainsbury’s transaction in which Nectar points are also redeemed?

• Zana says:

Yes but unfortunately you only earn points on “cash paid” portion of the transaction. So if you redeem 2,000 points and only pay £2 on top for your shopping, then you only earn points on your £2, not your entire basket. I found this out yesterday, so if you have a 3X coupon, use it when you’re not redeeming points!

• Peter K says:

IIRC you used to lose all potential points earned if you used nectar to part pay for a shop.