Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 3rd March

Comments (292)

• Michael C says:

BA’s book and upgrade on their website is so awful. It’s like a lottery if it works. It doesn’t seem to allow connecting flights any more either (LHR-NYC works, EDI-NYC doesn’t)

• AJA says:

Just book EDI – NYC and then upgrade LHR – NYC afterwards?

• Anna says:

There are regularly issues when trying to do anything with a domestic connection, it often requires playing around with the system to get the result you want! It’s often related to the cabin classes on domestic flights being different to those in long haul.

• Alan says:

I hope to be visiting Sofia in July and am thinking of booking a club room at the new Hyatt rather than as usual staying at the IC.

Could anyone with experience of the two tell me if this is a good idea.

Thanks

• Scottydogg says:

Anyone else having problems getting their free night stay with Creation IHG Premium credit card after spending the £10,000. Ive completed the year and hasnt creditted my IHG account . I phone Creation and they blame IHG rewards , i phone IHG rewards and they blame Creation . So im stuck in the middle with no free night !?

• Amit says:

Had same problem. Still waiting 6 months later. I raised a formal complaint with creation, have received £150 compensation but no indication of when the voucher will arrive. Think many were in the same position

• Scottydogg says:

I just got off the phone to them again , they are so unhelpful and the 2 women i spoke to were pretty rude and arrogant.
        ‘Apparently’ they are having problems posting the free nights and its something they are going to have sorted by the end of March. But i wouldnt hold my breath . THEE worst company i have had the misfortune to deal with .

• Anna says:

They’re not being much help with extensions of free nights, either. I appreciate some of these have been extended already but it’s fairly easy to evidence that it really hasn’t been possible to use them and also you’d think they would want to emerge from the pandemic with a modicum of member good will!

• Matt says:

You’re lucky you’ve only been waiting 6 months. Mine should have posted last March but there’s still no sign of it. I’ve given up chasing it as neither Creation nor IHG are any help as it’s just a “known issue” (known to both of them) which they’re “working on” (but with no timescales or workarounds).

And I’m expecting the one I’m due this month will probably go AWOL too…

• Crafty says:

Oh, good. My account being locked out is also a “known issue” with an indefinite timeframe for resolution…

• Red Flyer says:

Was fed up still getting emails from Daily Mail despite them cancelling the recent ‘targeted’ nectar offer. Called to get taken off and was offered 12,000 nectar if I stay and pay 3 months minimum. I pay my father in law monthly paper bill for him anyway so glad to get a bonus for doing this – might be worth others who were blocked from this promotion originally calling to see if can get the same result.

• cinereus says:

Not really worth it for people who don’t buy crypto-fash papers. £80 in outlay for for £96 Avios.

• Jody says:

@kitten, just replied on my original easyJet comment (just in case you miss it).

Very quick email from easyJet compared to previously.

• Jord says:

Hey, i’m looking for advice. I’m currently in the process of purchasing a house and was wondering if there is any way of paying the deposit using my Amex Plat. The majority of the money is sat in just a regular savers, and the rest in a nutmeg account. I’ve looked and nutmeg don’t allow you to top up using Amex. I also have a curve card (not used it yet) but don’t have a non amex points CC. Any suggestions on how to earn points with this would be greatly appreciated.

• John says:

I managed to pay a fair chunk to solicitor on my curve card until they cottoned on and then said deposits should really only be paid via bank transfer!

• BuildBackBetter says:

The only clean option is using Billhop. But very expensive.

• Jord says:

Thanks both, Curve isn’t really worth it as i can’t link Amex and Billhop costs more than the points are worth. Thought it was a long shot

• Wally1976 says:

About to book a flight with Lloyds upgrade voucher for next February, 2022. Anyone know if I need to move the points from BAEC to avios.com first or can they pull them across from BAEC while I’m on the phone? Thanks

• Chelseafi says:

Data Point – Applied with application approved immediately for personal Gold card 4pm Mon 1st March, card arrived in post this morning.