Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 29th March

Comments (321)

• Josh says:

@Rob

Dont s’pose you’ve heard any whispers of a comeback of the 50% off avios/VS bookings?

• Joints&Piles says:

I’m sure the cornercard holding page used to be more positive about the prospect of a replacement for the M&M card coming this year but now it just says:

“All UK members are very important to Miles & More and Cornercard UK Ltd. Both parties are currently evaluating options together”

I do hope they find an option that evaluates favourably.

• Joints&Piles says:

The milesandmorecards holding page has also changed.

It now says “Your card will no longer function from two months after the date of the letter you received”

I’m sure that was previously one month after the date of the letter.

Would be brilliant if it stays alive for another month.

• Joints&Piles says:

Found the letter and it was always 2 months so ignore that, but the holding page used to say

“Enjoy unparalleled worldwide acceptance with the new Miles & More Global Traveller VISA Card from Cornercard UK. Due to launch in Summer 2021, the Miles & More Global Traveller card will offer excellent benefits, acceptance and customer service, alongside the possibility to earn 1.25 award miles for every £1 spent.”

That’s been replaced by “evaluating options”.

• Paul says:

Morrisson’s seemed to have disappeared as an Airtime Rewards merchant! Does that happen sometimes? Good think I checked. (unless it is once use only?)

• will says:

Still on mine but I’m now untracked 8 days from purchase.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Yep, happened here – was missing on mine anyway but referred OH and appeared on her new account…. but only for about three days

• Ron says:

It has disappeared from my app as well. Previous two purchases, only one tracked, but I cant submit a claim, as it disappeared from the claim form as well! Messaged CS and they are trying to rectify it ASAP.

• Cat says:

hello I am looking for some advice please as I can’t seem to find it after searching. Virgin Atlantic have cancelled my GLA -MCO return reward flight for end of April and on phoning them (twice!) have been told that they can only rebook if there are reward seats available. There are saying that there are no reward availability for Sept/Oct 21 so cannot do anything apart from refunding us or wait until a reward flight becomes available. There are revenue flights showing. I know this is not an issue with BA but Virgin seem to be digging their heels in! Can anyone please advise if they are correct. I’ve asked for a supervisor to call me but this won’t be until tomorrow so any advice would be appreciated. thanks

• Anna says:

Virgin has exactly the same legal obligations as BA under EU261 and you’re entitled to re-routing as long as there are any seats available on the flight you want to take. If you have a look through some of the threads on here there’s very comprehensive guidance on how to exercise your rights!
      (Apologies if I’m wrong but I’m assuming you’re not the regular Cat as I think she would know this and I don’t think she flies from GLA!)

• Cat says:

Thanks Anna for coming back to me and I will be prepared for tomorrow. I have mentioned the legislation but they were not listening! I’m not the regular Cat – I’m the Scottish Cat ! thanks again.

• Anna says:

Good luck! If they dig their heels in like BA tends to do, ask for formal confirmation that this is their final position and tell them you will be booking alternative flights and claiming the money back from them via CEDR/MCOL. I guess it would be interesting if you re-booked yourself onto the revenue Virgin flights and then billed them for their own services!

• Cat says:

thanks – yes that would be interesting!
            It was booked in the virgin sale in UC so was a good deal!

• kitten says:

I would suggest you could hedge your bets by taking this opportunity to book your replacement on a different airline.

Remember even if a ticket is issued it may not necessarily be honoured if for any reason the funding entity disappears by the time you fly. So I would spread my bets since this opportunity has come up.

• Blindman says:

My post on a FT thread where others are having the same battle to get their EC261 rights.

• Mike1 says:

Does Solihull or Beardy charge for cash withdrawal via Bendy?

• Daniel says:

There are loads of comments regarding this topic on previous chat threads with answers to this…it would take you a couple of minutes to search it typing those terms in google.

Failing that, you could always try withdrawing a tenner on each one, wait to see if you get a fee?

• James says:

True, but after going to the effort to say that, you could have more quickly told him.
        Solihull no fee in my experience.

• Peter K says:

I think the idea is to get people to look rather than just ask every day as though the other posters on here are google.
          We all need help sometimes, but some posters take the micky, sometimes with the answer to their question on an earlier page of the comments!

• Chrisasaurus says:

If it was the same person every day the idea would have merit but it isn’t so that doesn’t make sense

• kitten says:

even had the answer already just 2 posts earlier on same page a couple of times.

One recent poster with a question covered almost daily and most days more than once posted one evening, then posted again following day.

They could have had the answer in less time by Google. Or even just by reading the 7 or 8 pages they actually commented would be too tiring to read 🙂

With so many of us isolated during Covid, I’ve learned a lot about human nature watching HfP. I feel quite foolish really for the things I didn’t know.

• DT says:

The best method is to clearly talk about MS using these cards every day and then feign shock when the gravy train ends. Even with code words, the constant discussion just brings more and more readers into starting up this up themselves. Thankfully the more obscure MS opportunities never seem to come up here

• Anna says:

I never mention my best methods. You’d need to ply me with bottomless cocktails in the bar at the Conrad Maldives to get them out of me.

• Chrisasaurus says:

I’ll slip all for a mediocre
            Shiraz in a holiday inn anywhere

• babyg_wc says:

Exactly this..

• The cyclist says:

I once utilised revolutionary in solihull but was told that beardy in Brighton was more my type.

• PaulC says:

Just had a response from Avios regarding Lloyds upgrade voucher. Mine expired 2 weeks ago and they aren’t willing to reinstate it and extend to the end of October! I thought people where getting there’s reinstated that had left it longer?

• Blenz101 says:

EK doing £400 business class fights to nowhere on an A380 which also feature the new premium cabin.

Just for vaccinated UAE citizens and expats…

• Benilyn says:

How long does the upgrade to Metal take? Is it immediate for me to use the card?

• Benilyn says:

Ok I did it, was immediate.
      Just tried to pay Brighton with Solihull, rejected… is this normal?

• TGLoyalty says:

Payments are part of the Max £300 and max £700 in any 7 day period limits

• Benilyn says:

lmao forgot about that… ok… maybe I wish I didn’t close down my solihull free card
          What else can I do now I have metal I wonder…

• Matt says:

Metal+Solihull hasn’t fed my seagulls for 2 months. £700 limit not the issue. Hope others are still having better luck

• lumma says:

Works fine for me up to the limits