Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 27th April

Comments (306)

• Yorkieflyer says:

I thought the entry ban by Spain for non essential travel expired on 30 April but any news on whether it will be extended? The current state of alarm is also due to expire on 9 May. I guess there may be a linkage

• Gtellez says:

Do you get the Amex points for recommending yourself a new Amex card? If I have the free BA, can I recommend myself the premium BA?

• DT says:

You would get the refer points, but amex don’t look kindly on self refers and you could end up banned from the product. It’s not worth it

• Gtellez says:

Ok, I guess it is not worth it then, I’ll use my wife account for the referral, although I’ll get less points (based on the cards we currently have). Thanks!

• Lady London says:

….and Ax may decide to catch up and ban self-referrers in the UK, say, in 2 or 3 years. Based retroactively on self-referrals done now or earlier.

Could be just at the wrong point in anyone’s earning cycle. When they’ve almost earned another big bonus, added maximum supps, referred everyone they know…. And then it all disappears along with their Amex relationship.

Still interested? It happened in the US.

• TGLoyalty says:

As you won’t have a new account (free BA is just upgraded) I don’t see you getting any referral points.

Has anyone got referral points this way?

• meta says:

You can’t refer and then get BAPP if you have a free BA card already. It will just be upgraded. No referral points either. You might get lucky and get 6k Avios for upgrade. Otherwise, I’d cancel the free card, wait a few weeks then refer to BAPP if you’re after referral points.

• Gary says:

Has anyone else’s dragon pass expired with unused purchased visits on ? Issued by dufry in 2020. I’ve emailed DP for extension or refund but here’s the response I got;

Hello Gary,

Thank you for your email.

Apologies that it is taking some time. Your enquiry is still under review. We will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

Meanwhile, if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

• Washborne says:

Had noticed that mine had suddenly expired too. Somewhat surprised as had noticed an expiry date of Sept 21 (I assume due to flights not being able to be made) but now it’s saying expired end of March 21.

Do seem to remember something about unspent visits being refunded but I’d rather have the chance to use them!

Will probably email them myself today noting the above.

• Alex says:

I e-mailed them yesterday and got a very similar reply. In my e-mail I did quote their prior reply from last summer stating outright that both membership and purchased pass expiry will be extended for a year from Jan 2021. Let’s see what the “review” amounts to…

• Gtellez says:

In case someone is interested, Iberia is selling gift cards with up to 25% discount again, only until this Sunday.

• ee says:

Vaccine website now stating jabs available to over 42s. I turn 42 in September but no dice when I put my details in, contrary to some reports yesterday.

• TGLoyalty says:

Not sure there were reports yesterday. It said 44/43 were live.

Either 42 or you’ll turn 42 before 1 July 2021

Give it a few days and try again as it’s drop before it’s official. Also check you’re local Facebook groups / news etc as I know some centres are doing 40+ drop in centres over the next few days.

• Gavin says:

Some centers are also doing walk-ins for 30+. I got mine done last week in London, I’m 35. Many people in their 30s have also been invited by their GP, presumably if their local areas are ahead of schedule.

• Mouse says:

How did you find out about these Gavin?

• Gavin says:

Word of mouth essentially – I found comments about the walk-ins from browsing the London and CoronaVirusUK sections of Reddit

• meta says:

I signed up in all local pharmacies and centres and they call you when they have slots available when someone cancels. They actually called me the day before in the evening. I got mine end of March (I’m under 40) at a local pharmacy. They also immediately booked me for mid-June for the second jab. When I got my jab, they told me every day they have 2-3 slots cancelled. Our neighbourhood Whatsapp group is also full of GPs offering spare jabs to anyone on a daily basis and last weekend my local authority had free for all set up at a local centre without appointment.

• Dr Tom says:

Thanks, checked yesterday and nothing was available for me (age 43), but checked again this morning and could book. So now booked in for both doses, first one tomorrow.

• Rob says:

Is there going to come a point where we question the wisdom of continuing with this for now? I remember reading that you need to vaccinate 27,000 people in their 20’s to save 1 life. For care home residents it was 1 in 20.

We could donate the vaccine and save 1,350 lives of care home residents in other countries or save 1 person in their 20’s in the UK. In reality it is probably an even higher ratio because the 1:27,000 presumably includes people with underlying problems who have already been done.

• meta says:

I agree. There is too much supply in the UK now and we should now be in the position to send to other countries. Despite big numbers of take up (now 85%?) it’s a still huge number of those who don’t want it.

• Matt says:

In a sensible world you’d be right, but then we’d also be able to have a drink/meal indoors, visit each others houses etc. The vulnerable are vaccinated, so get back to normal – as Matt Hancock said back in January “cry freedom”.

Unfortunately the goalposts have shifted again and apparently we now need everyone to be vaccinated before we can open up – so we’ll carry on vaccinating those at very low risk.

• AJA says:

I think the current emphasis is on giving second doses. The daily tracker of those receiving 1st vaccine doses has hardly moved above 50% of the population for the last 2 weeks. There are still over 20million who haven’t received their second dose.

• Pete M says:

I see where you are coming from Rob, but don’t forget about how debilitating long Covid is. My brother is 27 – got Covid last September, he described it as an unpleasant cold at the time. He has not, however, been able to walk up a flight of stairs without stopping several times or do any exercise since. No brain fog or other nasty symptoms, but this has has a fundamental impact on his life and improvement is slow. He had no previous medical issues, has a healthy BMI and enjoys vices in moderation. A friend in his mid-thirties, extremely healthy and sporty, has not worked since last spring because he just can’t concentrate after Covid. These people don’t appear in the statistics you quote, but I can assure you would have given anything to have a jab…

• meta says:

But this is precisely the reason why we should now open vaccines to everyone who wants it and offer some doses to the rest of the world. There is no need to do it in drips, opening up every few days by one or two years at the time. All the vulnerable have had theirs, over 50s had theirs. There is an abundant supply for everyone otherwise local authorities wouldn’t be holding free for all weekends.

• Anuj says:

There’s a significant percentage of people who are vulnerable but can’t currently have the vaccine. Therefore it’s very important that everyone eligible gets it. Also I’d rather not get long covid

• Pete M says:

I believe Rob’s point was that we should stop in the UK and give our vaccines to other countries to vaccinate older people, though?

• meta says:

@Pete M maybe I read it wrongly then. I don’t think we should stop, but we are in position to share.

• Anuj says:

There’s definitely some merit in that idea however it wouldn’t make us young people very happy that after having a year of our lives (validly) sacrificed to protect the old, we now can’t even go on holiday as easy as those vaccinated.

• Magic Mike says:

Leaving half the population unvaccinated but opening everything up results in a prime breeding ground for variants.

Once you’ve got this far on the jab program, finish it, then save the rest of the world.

• Navara says:

For those discussing the late posting of Hilton points mine are there this morning

• DJ says:

Morning,

I’m currently planning a four-night stay in either Glasgow or Edinburgh. I have the following IHG choices:

– Edinburgh IC
    – Edinburgh Kimpton (I think the Charlotte Square one)
    – Glasgow Kimpton

Which one is better? I have Spire Ambassador if that makes any difference.

Thanks

• Harry T says:

No personal experience but Edinburgh Kimpton is usually well recommended around these parts.

• Rhys says:

I reviewed the Kimpton Edinburgh in 2019. Nice hotel with pool, good location for Princes St etc:

Baba restaurant is good too.

• Anna says:

I’m staying at the Kimpton Charlotte Square this weekend. Not been before but they’ve been wonderful so far – room upgrades (OH and I are both Spire/Ambassador and are using our 2 soon-to-expire BOGOF certificates for 2 rooms for us and the teenager), been contacted to book the pool, concierge has got a a booking for Sunday lunch when I couldn’t find one. I’ll report back next week!

• Alex says:

How did you go about getting the room upgrades? I have a 2-night stay booked in late May and am Spire elite. Not sure if upgrades are automatic or need to be processed somehow…

• Anna says:

One cat was automatic by the hotel, the next was via one of the e standby offers we were discussing yesterday. I never ask outright but do mention if we’re celebrating something (this is a re-scheduled trip for our silver wedding anniversary.)

• Chris says:

Whenever i’ve stayed at Blythswood as Spire i’ve been given free spa access which is a nice upgrade.

The answer is of course always Edinburgh > Glasgow

• Peggerz says:

Personally, I would rate as follows:
    1 Kimpton Charlotte
    2 Kimpton Blythswood
    3 IC George

And @Rhys, did you bring this weather with you ☔️? 😀

• Rhys says:

Miserable isn’t it! Good thing I have Surgeon’s Hall booked…will probably spend the rest of the day working!

• Anna says:

We’ve had hail and torrential rain in Lancashire – so glad we can eat indoors this weekend!

• Rhys says:

Make sure you go to the Outsider 🙂

• Anna says:

Did you have to book, Rhys?

• Rhys says:

Not really – it seems that the lack of alcohol indoors and 8pm closing doesn’t appeal to Scots that much….although granted, it was Monday. I booked a table for 6:30 just in case but it was only 1/3 full. Packed at lunchtime apparently, though.

• Navara says:

“Packed at lunchtime apparently, though.”
          Rhys I assume you mean as full as social distancing allows