Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 27th April

Comments (306)

• TJ says:

Good start to the morning…Amex (UK) gave me 20k points to retain my PRG card. My 10k spend bonus is also due in a couple of months which will give me enough time to max out the existing Sainsbury’s offer and use the £50 travel offer. I was then contemplating moving back up to Plat. Has anyone had any luck recently with a bonus points offer when upgrading from PRG to Plat?

• aDifferentSimon says:

I have a 241 that (currently) expires June 2022. Realistically I’d like to use this in the school holidays in 2022. Is the best solution cancelling a cheap zone 1 booking for a FTV?
    (A la https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/02/08/how-to-extend-british-airways-241-voucher/)
    That article stated that any further voucher extensions would need to be done by 31/3. This didn’t happen so is the locked in FTV the way to go?
    Thanks in advance.

• Rob says:

I’d hold out as long as possible for another extension but, realistically, you’ll need to go the FTV route if not.

• Steve says:

When are BA pulling the FTV option?

• Rob says:

As soon as they can get away with it.

It will be the day that Mr Average is happy to book a ticket to anywhere on the BA network to fly in 3-4 months time with 100% certainty that covid that won’t stop him travelling.

• Steve says:

I wonder if they are obliged to give notice of any change to FTV? In a similar boat, waiting it out is the preferred route as they may extend the 241 anyway, but if they don’t and they pull the FTV route that’d be a right pain.

• aDifferentSimon says:

THank you.

• Hotelier says:

Referred a friend from Plat Business and have received a 5k MR noted as ”Refer a friend welcome bonus”, did the same last month for someone else and got the 18k MR without issue, line read slightly different under ”Referral Bonus”.
    Someone has experience something similar? I still can see the 18k offer for referrals and I am not close to the 90k max, these are only two cards referred yet.
    Can’t work out where this comes from, no other card has that bonus IIRC, and it doesn’t belong to a new supplementary card. Thanks

• Rob says:

Weird. Sounds like you got a 5k supplementary card bonus rather than a referral bonus.

• Hotelier says:

That’s what I first thought (but haven’t applied for any additional supplementary in the last month, and the ones I did I received already the 5k bonus, nothing written in those transactions).
        Will leave it for a couple days to see if it sorts itself out although I doubt it and will then contact Amex. Thanks

• TGLoyalty says:

Is that the 5k bonus you get because you were referred for your card? Was it outstanding?

• Hotelier says:

@TGLoyalty interesting … it could be however we haven’t reached the £10k spending target yet … and therefore haven’t received the 100k MR either but considering the description is different from the previous refer a friend bonus it could be. Will wait to see if 18k post this week .. to see if different

• Paul says:

Back to the additional Avios for adding a supplementary AX card to your account, tried last week (ARCC), and the link just opened a new log in page, looping for ever. Thinking of trying again today, but no mention of the offer now anywhere I can see… do we know/believe it’s still live?

• Rob says:

Should be live. Try looking in the Offers section of your ARCC card’s online statement page and following the link from there.

• Paul says:

No supplementary card link there, just the referral link. “Add someone to my account” just links straight to the forms, no mention of the bonus. Maybe I’ll try online chat…

• Paul says:

Found it, at bottom of homepage, Latest Offers And Updates, All looks good… Thanks

• Johnny5a says:

Amex Gold Business has £50 DELL credit. Does this credit need to be spent in one transaction or could I do it over 2 transactions? Thanks

• Rob says:

My understanding is that you can use this over multiple transactions in each 6-month period. You have until 30th June to spend your first £50 and then you get another £50 to spend between July and December.

• Benilyn says:

I think multiple. I made a <£50 order and Dell split it over 2 transactions and worked fine.

• Lee says:

Ask for a friend, the quickest way to get 1 Avios to his new BA account so he could purchase avios?
    My suggestion was shopping portal, but want to see if there is other clever way.

• Matt says:

Has he got any Amex points he could transfer?

• Lee says:

No, I just referred him gold card which will take at least a couple of weeks to get some avios in his account

• TGLoyalty says:

Just eat via e store post in a few days. Takeaway is just a bonus

• Rob says:

Given that Collinson seems to ‘front load’ Avios from the portal it might be the best way. John Lews seems to be a ‘faster payment’ one where you get the points within a week, even before the returns period is up (but of coure they claw them back if you do return).

• Pablo says:

Screwfix via shopping portal posting in 4 days.

• AJA says:

Does he have a Nectar card? Transfers from there seem instant.

• ChrisC says:

Nectar?

Not sure if they count as ‘earning’ to allow purchase of avios though

I hope the friend has done the maths on whether the cost of buying avios for a flight plus the taxes, fees and BA userous carrier surcharge is cheaper than just buying a flight outright?

• Andrew says:

20pts – Mango
    10pts – Carrots
    20pts – Easy peelers
    10pts – Coleslaw
    90pts – Ready Meal
    200pts – Coffee Beans

Potential for 850pts. Nothing I wouldn’t buy there normally, not sure about the dates with the recent recall though.

• David Lawton says:

3rd week running now , no offers for me. I even tried last night since Sainsbury’s is just a short walk from me to do 2 shops. Both times i got ‘better luck next time’ on the random bonus you get in the app after a shop. They really don’t want me getting Nectar points at the moment. All seems to have happened since going over £400 worth of Nectar, could be just a co-incidence.

• Phil says:

My guess is Sainsbury’s are doing some A-B testing to see how elastic customers are to the bonus point offers. The best thing everybody can do, who hasn’t received any bonus point offers, is to immediately stop shopping there.

• WaynedP says:

PayPal offer of £3 credit to my account just for clicking “Claim” and logging into my account. No apparent catch or limits in the T&Cs either – just appears to be £3 free money ???

• Rob says:

I bet you that they report a number for ‘active accounts’ to financial analysts, with ‘active’ being someone who has logged in over the past 12 months. Seems like a cheap way of fudging their figures.

• yorkieflyer says:

Grrr only £2 here

• QFFlyer says:

They offer me a free £5 every other week, then when I login to claim it’s always some sort of error, 100% of the time.