Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 27th April

Comments (306)

• bill says:

From SeanM1997 on Twitter:

Flybe have acquired 86 weekly slots at London Heathrow from British Airways – these are listed for a Dash-8 (78 seat) aircraft with Edinburgh listed with 50x weekly (5x daily) and Aberdeen listed with 36x weekly (3x daily flights)

• Rob says:

This is complex, but these are the slots that Flybe already had and which BA is obliged to handover to anyone who wants them as part of the deal it made to buy BMI. Went it went bust they reverted to BA, and now Flybe is revived they come back.

• ChrisC says:

And if they are the BMI slots then destination is restricted for I think 3 years of continous operation before you can use them for another destination

And if I also remember corerctly these are the same slots that VS had for Little Red and gave up far too soon to get any long term benefit from (i.e. using them for a long haul)

• Rob says:

Any EU destination, yes.

• eligold says:

will virgin have anything to do with the reborn Flybe?

• Rob says:

Not impossible they would codeshare, but the practicalities of getting from T2 to T3 are not great. In a sensible world Flybe would do deals with the Star carriers in T2 and codeshare with them, for easy transfers. Remember that Edinburgh will be quite a long way down the list of cities that most airlines choose to restart directly.

• mr_jetlag says:

Yesterday I asked about the lack of deposit options when booking BA holiday flights with just one night hotel.
    @Anna / ChrisC – I was able to sort this out by using the “multi-hotel” option which I think is new. When booking, if you choose “multiple hotels” then just put in the one night you need – it prices up the entire package with the appropriate deposit.
    Hope this helps.

• George K says:

Civil Aviation Authority approves rise in Heathrow landing fees worth £300m, only a fraction of airport’s request for £2.6bn

• Lord Doncaster says:

I assume that would be in addition to the £7.90 (?) passenger fee that Heathrow has started levying?

• TGLoyalty says:

Yes as that was for genuine flight related overhead not covered

• TGLoyalty says:

The old request something stupid and receive something slightly above what you actually deserved anyway.

Lost cost recovery or recovering genuine loss perhaps but anyone claiming ‘lost profit’ should be laughed out of the room.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Glad they didn’t get it but still slightly annoyed they got anything

• WaynedP says:

In my UK regulated monopoly industry, the regulator has the right to impose financial penalties if revenue requests are demonstrably overstated. Seems a fair and sensible approach to me.

• Lady London says:

Another case with a double whammy of monster profits in the good times at Heathrow Airport being privatised to their shareholders (and executive management), but losses mysteriously need a monopoly regulator to hand them extra money paid by the captive users of that monopoly.

• Alan says:

+1 They are not too big to fail. If they need to sell they should, there would be a queue of willing buyers prepared to take on and invest in Heathrow

• Sooz says:

Hi, bit of a noob question, but BA have cancelled our flight to Korea (more than 14 days before the departure). They are saying that because they don’t have any partner flights going there, I have to accept either a refund or a voucher. I was under the (mins?)impression that they were required to get use to Korea if we still wanted to travel, but maybe that only applies if it is less than 14 days?

• Harry says:

Could anyone kindly guide me on the process of virgin upgrades with points? Can I book a cash virgin classic and then how would I upgrade to premium with points?

• Sean says:

You will need to call them to upgrade – there needs to be reward space in the cabin you wish to upgrade to. I would do it all on the phone.

• Harry says:

Thanks. Any idea if I can buy a cash ticket through amex travel to benefit £50 and then call to upgrade? Many thanks

• Sean says:

Is probably possible – but there MUST be reward space for you to upgrade to. Easier to guarantee with a single call to Virgin – but no £50 off.

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

Hey peeps – info request on SUBs for Amex please – I was referred for a personal Plat by Mrs Trotter recently. Hit the £4k spend target 10 days ago and was expecting a 35k MRs SUB but nothing. Amex chat said it should hit when the 3 month period for the target spend was up (not due for another month) but I don’t remember it ever working like that before? I thought it usually triggered almost immediately? Just checking I’m not going crazy before I push any harder with them…

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

PS have checked usual issues already – e.g. I didn’t take the fee into account when calculating spend, I haven’t ever held a personal MR earning Amex before (I do have BAPP and did have Bonvoy – now cancelled- and my only other card is a Bus Plat)

• Anna says:

I’ve never had to wait 3 months for a sign up bonus. There’s no guarantee they haven’t changed the rules recently, however Amex chat staff often give out duff information from what other people have posted on here (although otherwise I always find them extremely helpful). It’s worth double checking, anyway.

• Rob says:

That’s the excuse they give when the IT has failed. Unfortunately it may be 90 days before they will look at the problem.

I’m assuming you do qualify having not had any MR earning card (Green, Plat, Gold, Amex Rewards, Blue etc) in the last 24 months.

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

Yes, thanks Rob + Anna – I definitely qualify so seems I just have to hang tight and will have to pay another month or so of Platinum fees for the privilege!

• Benilyn says:

Under Points Summary, does every spend line item show there, or does it show any adjustments?

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

Good idea – I checked and it all tallies up to >4k points, with only the fee not accruing them, so it’s not that…

• Aston100 says:

I’ve almost given up talking to the live chat people and tend to phone up these days.
      Even then, I sometimes get numpties on the phone.
      The quality of Amex customer service agents has noticeably declined in the last year or more.
      Only the Brighton based staff seem consistently reliable.

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

Thanks Aston – I called and the operator couldn’t understand why it hadn’t credited so they raised a note ‘as a high priority’ for ‘the back office team’: Let’s hope that gets the points into my grubby mitts sooner!

• Phil says:

BA Cancellation Question. Last May I booked EDI-LGW-MRU return. This was done over two separate bookings but it uses a 2-4-1. I have two booking references but was refunded half the Avios.

The EDI-LGW-MRU outbound has been fully cancelled. However, the return no longer shows the MRU-LGW leg but does show that BA have replaced the LGW-EDI leg with a LHR-EDI flight (which remains showing as scheduled).

My original approach to rebooking was to let but the Outbound and Return journeys pass, then call BA to ask they rebook us for next year (and then go through the whole rigmarole of them refusing, threaten to book my own fully flex tickets and MCOL). However, I am now concerned that with the return booking now showing an active flight and missing the entire MRU-LGW leg…, that this approach might actually result in me losing all of the Avios and Taxes paid.

Should my original rebooking approach remain a valid option. Or am I better just biting the bullet and taking the FTV and going through lottery of calling up on D-355?

Would appreciate your collective wisdom.

• Phil says:

I should say I booked last May for this May.

• Anna says:

A similar thing happened to me – GCM-LHR-MAN was cancelled but they left LHR-MAN showing as going ahead in my BAEC account. When I called to get a refund they said just ignore it and it did disappear after a few weeks. I don’t think your re-routing rights would be affected.

• meta says:

As long as one flight is cancelled in any booking (one PNR) you have the full reroute/refund rights.

• 747_Brat says:

I am planning to get a BAPP and ARCC and close out my PRG. Given the enhanced referral bonus, I want to get the BAPP first, and then the ARCC.

Just wondering how much time should I leave between the 2 applications, so that I don’t seem too desperate for credit, and don’t get rejected.

• Reney says:

I don’t have an answer to your question. I would note that the enhanced bonus ends on 12 May (?), which probably limit the gap you can have been the applications?

• 747_Brat says:

The 12 May deadline only affects my BAPP application, which I am planning to put through anyway before the 12th. I guess I will wait a month and pay a month’s worth of fee on my PRG before I cancel it and get an ARCC.

• Aston100 says:

I applied and received three Amex cards in a three week period.

• Doommonger says:

You obviously don’t care much about your credit rating then!

The Doomster

• Aston100 says:

By “I applied and received…” what I meant was on my wife’s behalf.
          I’m sure she’ll be fine.

Though she did ask the other day why the credit card in her purse has changed colour. (again).

• The real John says:

What is the point of a credit rating if you don’t use it to apply for credit cards?

Even if there are 3 hard searches they will become insignificant after 6 months and drop off completely after 12. If you don’t intend to apply for more credit during those 6 months, who cares?

• 747_Brat says:

Wow….did Amex leave any trace on your credit file, or did they skip searching your credit file because you were an existing card member (as has been reported here)?

• Bobri says:

Applied recently for an Amex 2 months ago while having an existing card. No traces on the credit file