Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 3rd May

Comments (238)

• gareth says:

Hi, could someone share an airtime rewards link? Thanks

• Ben says:

Hi!
    I’m considering the Ambassador sign up as I have an upcoming IC Park Lane stay anyway. But is there an easy way of finding availability to use the 40k free stay voucher? I know you can prebook the ambassador free weekend rooms so is there similar functionality or is it simply where there is reward availability?
    I think the dynamic pricing is going to ruin me finding anywhere acceptable in London or Brighton this summer….

• Peter K says:

Check the details but I’m sure the Ambassador perks after only guaranteed on paid stays, not redemptions. Of course even then they can ignore it and just bung you 10k points instead.

• Olver says:

What are you top ways of making the minimum spend of a card? For me, it’s in the following order

1. Put all bills on the card council tax/ electricity/water/broadband/insurance/phones
    2. Put all daily expenses from all family members on the card, just adding it all to their Google Pay to make it easy
    3. prepay all large purchases we got coming up mainly all holidays
    4. Buy a load of vouchers for Amazon, Waitrose etc.
    5. Prepay gas and electricity for the next 1 year

Any other ideas please share them 🙂

• Alex says:

You seem to have covered all the main big ones, I’d add Car lease payments if applicable.

After that there are a number of other options which are potentially less or not at all “genuine” spend…

• John Gallagher says:

Does Marriott Bonvoy work ok with Bendy?

• Zoe says:

Hi all
    I am hoping to fly to Don Rep on 3 June from Gatwick in CW. Do you think it will still be from North Terminal and if so what lounge will I be able to go to?
    Many thanks
    Zoe

• chabuddy geezy says:

It seems unlikely that the South Terminal will be open by then, mostly likely you will be sent to Aspire in North.

• Richie says:

I’m sure this has been asked before, but i can’t find the answer so wondered if anyone new. BA has cancelled my (avios) flight to LAX, but when I choose the option to “book new flight dates”, it says “no seats available” (on pretty much any day / any week i choose). I’m guessing the search engine is looking for [avios] seats as that’s what I booked, because there are lots of seats available on most flights.
    Doesn’t BA have to get me to the destination if *they cancel* (under EU 261), irrespective if there are “avios seats” or not?
    I’m not trying to be ridiculous, i know the airlines have suffered, but i just want to get on a flight after they cancelled my flight!
    thanks!

• Alex says:

Yes that’s correct – because BA cancelled on you – you can choose any day/time provided they have space(ie still selling cash tickets). You need to book within 365 days of your original booking date. Call BA to do it as website can be glitchy with it.

• meta says:

You don’t need to book within 365 days of original booking. BA is trying to wriggle out from its legal obligations here. However, to enforce it requires some form of legal action (CEDR or MCOL). MCOL is quicker at the moment.

Another way to approach it would be to engage with BA and get a final no from them, then dispute it with your credit card company for replacement ticket.

Finally, if the cancellation was recent wait a few days or even a week then try again in Manage My Booking.

• Andyh500 says:

Call BA with the flights you would like. I did it last week and it took 5 minutes and got all the flights requested.

• AY says:

Have just seen 10,000 bonus avios show up on my membership rewards activity. Have a platinum card, any reason why? I wasn’t aware of any promotion.

• Harry T says:

Did you make a large purchase recently?

• AY says:

Nothing out of the ordinary, very strange given it’s a platinum card not an Avios collecting card.

• Rob says:

Friend of mine got it on a 9k spend last week on his BAPP.

• AY says:

I only have the platinum card no BAPP or any other Amex. Oh well not going to complain.

• Andrew says:

So how did you earn Avios? Or do you mean you got 10k Membership Reward points?

• AY says:

It says 10,000 bonus avios in the description but yes it is 10,000 membership rewards points.

• Newbie says:

Does anyone have any experience with BMW finance? I currently pay for my HP with DD but happily switch to credit card but not sure if its possible.

• Sina says:

It’s possible, you just have to call and switch DD to card payment and then pay with your card using an automated payment line.