Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 5th May

Comments (228)

• @mkcol says:

I have 111 orphan Radisson Rewards points I basically don’t want – can anyone here use them?

• definitas says:

I have hired an SUV for a one way journey (RSW-MIA) several times over the last few years and it is usually below £50 all in when booked through MMB on BA with Avis. I want to do the same think later this year and was shocked to see a doubling in price. A quick check with other companies reveals similar prices. I can afford to wait until the autumn to book to see if prices come back closer to “normal” but wondered if anyone else is having similar issues and if there are any better deals out there

• KBuffett says:

Inflation is hitting everything, hard

• BuildBackBetter says:

Lol, it’s simple supply demand. No international travel, so people spending more on domestic road trips etc.

• ChrisC says:

Washington Post – Why your next rental car might cost more than a plane ticket

I’ve read of people renting U-Hauls because they are cheaper than cars.

It’s basically huge demand for not much supply

• marcw says:

There’s a global shortage of car rentals.
      I guess this year is not a good year for roadtrips.

• Lady London says:

May not improve too soon because apparently there’s a worldwide shortage of the chips needed to build cars and so production of new cars is experiencing delays since last year and ongoing.

• Travel Strong says:

Have a quick check of other major rental hubs if you have the option of other routings. Elsewhere in the USA I found the same sky high prices for most locations, but prices suddenly dropped to rock bottom for a different rental pickup location in the same state… no idea why but every vehicle type was cheap for some locations, and every vehicle type extortionate for others. (All these quotes were with Hertz).

• Travel Strong says:

The USA exec club number (+1 800 452 1201) looks like it will be closed today and is advising calling the normal number for urgent queries only. Will +1 877 767 7970 be able to book a 241?!

Any advice on the correct way to now go ahead with making a booking when tix are released at 1am? I haven’t made the outbound as only the inbound flights released tonight are scare.

I can’t see a way to book online as its an open jaw booking.

• Travel Strong says:

*scarce

• Travel Strong says:

Is the correct answer Japan at 1am instead?

• Genghis says:

Book online?

• Travel Strong says:

*goes back and looks harder for a way to book outbound to one destination and return from another*

I feel like an idiot posting these questions, but I’m just not seeing a way!

Clicking multicity redirects to the Windows 3.1 era booking tool and ends up only allowing part pay with avios – not a full redemption with 241.

Going via Book a Flight With Avios seems only have one way or return options.

• Genghis says:

Sorry. It was me being stupid and not reading it was open jaw.

If you have the avios, book outbound now. Then book inbound at 1am. Then call in the morning. If taxes much more as two one ways, cancel and rebook (cancel yourself if they won’t and hope goes back into reward inventory, it should) as a return on one PNR.

Or if taxes about same or less, then just keep two PNRs and get the refund of avios.

• Travel Strong says:

Okay the fog is clearing and i’m seeing a way through… I do not have the avios to do it without the 241 *but* only the inbound sells out, so I think I can book just the inbound at 1am .. And hopefully call the next day to add an outbound and a 241 for a small amount of extra £ and avios?

Is there any issue with this?!

• Genghis says:

I’ve never done it that way round. Some one may be able to opine better.

You may have to cancel the inbound booked online (within 24h free of charge) and then fully rebook as a return on the phone. Let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

• pauldb says:

Is it an open jaw within the same band? Perhaps you could book both legs to the correct outstation for the inbound, then tomorrow call and switch the outbound to the correct first stop. Likely £35pp change fee though.

• Morris says:

Does anyone happen to know if a new Amex Platinum ICC is sent abroad via courier (DHL, FedEx, etc.) or regular post?

• Track says:

If memory serves, sent by the usual IDEMIA envelope, that is to a UK address. I would imagine that any ’emergency replacement’ will be done by a courier.

• Andrew says:

How is this any different to the free packs of LFTs we can order from the NHS anyway?

• TGLoyalty says:

They are exactly the same

• ChrisC says:

They are the same tests but at the moment the webpage for the tests says you can’t usese the free NHS tests to replace the 2 tests you have to do if you’re in quarentine.

“Holidaymakers will be given free Covid tests to take abroad to save them getting a pre-return test in a foreign country, according to reports.”

And that is new – the UK accepting these tests on return to the UK rather than finding and paying for a pcr test whilst abroad.

One issue would be is veryfying that you actually took the test and the result is valid.

I assume they won’t want a couple of hundered people hanging around check in desks swabbing themselves etc etc so there would be a great deal of trust involved people aren’t going to game the system if they feel OK but test positive etc

• TGLoyalty says:

The paper on international travel published a few weeks ago actually said that free NHS tests for those with symptoms ie PCR tests could not be used. Paving the way for LFTs (non symptomatic testing) to be used for pre departure.

Cheaper Private LFTs were always accepted but the rules around their specification meant it was more difficult to find the right kind.

• TGLoyalty says:

I don’t understand the “verifying the test” comments around using an LFT like this as the guidelines have never specified it must be carried out by a health professional. Home tests have been acceptable and are accepted for day 2 and day 8 tests today.

• Aston100 says:

I’m preparing to reduce my Amex card holding to just the Nectar Amex.
    Does this card attract the same type and quantity of offers as the PRG or BAPP?

I currently have zero offers on it despite having done about ten transactions in the past 2 to 3 weeks (never taken this long for offers to appear on any of my other Amex cards thus far).

• Memesweeper says:

When I held a Nectar and a PRG the PRG got more offers. I can’t comment on Nectar v BAPP.

• TGLoyalty says:

Both receive less offers than PRG in my experience.

• Oli says:

As BA Silver, do I get 2 checked bags on RFS economy tickets?