Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 5th May

Comments (228)

• bafan says:

Been watching repeats of Airline. Great show but I was born in 93 so I guess it started when I was just past being a toddler…I have an irrational fear of LTN and it took me the guts of 20 years to brave flying EZY. Watching this again probably explains why!

I like that the staff stand up for themselves though…the crowd up at LPL don’t take any ****.

• Pablo says:

❄️

• kitten says:

Your fear of LTN is not irrational.

• Bobri says:

The very first time I flew into Luton, I literally googled “Luton is a shithole” while on the bus to London. Apparently, there is a related ranking and apparently, Luton was in top 3 in the UK

• mr_jetlag says:

Luton airport is by far the shittiest.

• WaynedP says:

Perhaps it’s time for a series of best & worst airport articles.

Never been to Luton but would be interested to learn objective reasons for its reputation.

My worst recent experience was Jeddah in 2019. Lavatories were an education, worse for my wife and daughter.

Cost-effective fare for family of five at the time, but never again, not at any discount.

• KBuffett says:

Please, address it by its proper name.
            London Luton.

• Lady London says:

Let’s be fair it has improved though.

And there’s always the nastiness of STN…

• Memesweeper says:

Born in 93?

You’ll be surprised to learn Luton is the only airport to have had a hit single in the fabulous 70s hit parade … it’s by Cats and still available on Spotify. The ‘ooh ee ooh’ refrain repeats in my head when I pass nearby and see the road signs …

• Pete M says:

Security used to be diabolical. Check-in used to be diabolical. Very few shopping options. Queues 50-strong for any of the dining options. Little seating. The whole place felt like a barn that happened to have planes parking next to it. Endless corridors with no heating or A/C. Being held outdoors, rain or shine, before boarding the plane… That said, a lot of this has fundamentally improved recently (particularly check-in, security, shopping, waiting areas) and it actually feels a lot more civilised.

However, getting to Luton is still a bit of a nightmare – expensive drop off or train and then a bus (you have to pay for). With the people mover opening that will change, even though it will still cost extra. I do think they are absolutely heading in the right direction and will probably strike the right balance between low-cost and bearable.

• Rob says:

Having used both Luton and Stansted in the year before covid, after 10+ years of ignoring both, I found them roughly equal. Luton may beat Stansted once the monorail opens, given that it has no satellite terminals and there are two decent lounges.

I’d go Heathrow / Gatwick / Luton / Stansted potentially. City is tricky – potentially behind Gatwick but that is partly driven by where I live and whether I wanted to pay £90 to use the Jet Centre and avoid the terminal. When I lived in Wapping I once made it from the steps of the aircraft to my flat in 18 minutes.

• ChrisC says:

Also a feature of the Campari adverts (which apparently was the genesis of the Cats song)

“We’re you trusty wafted here from paradise?”

“Nah Luton Airport”

• Lady London says:

For me Luton Airport is Lorraine Chase and Leonard Rossiter. “Were you wafted here from heaven?” “Nah, Luton Airport”

• The cyclist says:

You mean Joan Collins and Leonard Rossiter, Lorraine Chase is a separate advert.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Only ever been to Luton once about 5 to 10 years ago. Hasn’t changed much since the TV shows. If memory serves me correctly, pre-security you have a choice of Burger King or a meal deal

• @mkcol says:

I remember making my TV debut on that, on my first solo operational flight as Purser (now SCCM).

• Nate says:

Hi. I want to appply for the Capital on Tap Visa card but am currently in the process of applying for a mortgage and moving in the next 2 months. Do you know if this card shows up on hard search for credit report and could it impact my application? If I were to use the card for solicitor fees/surveys etc to help trigger the bonus would this be flagged up by Capital?

• Ian M says:

Applying for the Capital on Tap card does not effect your personal credit rating by all accounts.

The card is only to be used for business purchases, but I doubt paying solicitors and surveyors would flag as personal.

• KBuffett says:

I though I had read something written by Rob who stated the card is issued to the individual with personal liability, the company has no liability.

• Rob says:

It is either personal or joint and several with your company. What it 100% is not is pure company liability.

• Nate says:

Do you know if it affects personal credit rating on applying (specifically with regards to mortgage application)

• Genghis says:

It depends on the mortgage provider’s opinion on you applying for such credit.

Personally I wouldn’t make any credit applications a few months before renewing mortgage.

If it goes wrong, that extra few bips on pricing could be costly.

Saying that, in my last mortgage renewal I applied for a mortgage with one bank, they did a hard search and then put their rates went up. I rolled the dice and applied for another with another bank and got the best rate.

• Jay says:

Left a soft search on my credit report.

• YC says:

Any success topping up fidelity with bendy backed creative or beardy? Could outweigh higher first year 20bps platform fees vs opening new account. Only can top up 1 isa account per year so trying to be careful vs testing. Much appreciate any recent experiences

• Reney says:

Works for bendy backed with creative subject to the £700 pw limit (at least in my experience).

• YC says:

Thanks – does creative treat it as a cash transaction?

• YC says:

Unfortunately didn’t work for me, tried <£700 too

• Genghis says:

Such Creation limits are £300 / day, £500 / rolling 3 days, £700 / rolling week.

• Reney says:

yes I meant this limit, sorry YC I assumed you knew what I meant.

• YC says:

Hmmm still doesn’t work – even 250. Do you have fronted on?

• YC says:

I also just realised the declined transactions are appearing in curve with a 1.5% fee (good thing it was declined)

• John says:

You can just try using the provider’s non-ISA account to see if it works. Then message them to transfer the money into the ISA

• Sarah says:

BA site down for maintenance. Any idea why?

• Louise K says:

Was down at midnight when I went on trying to bag 2 CW tickets at midnight. Said it would be back up at 05:00. Clearly not!

• Ed says:

Been down since last night, but no idea why. Seems to be taking longer to get back on line than they originally planned, as it was slated for 5am as of last night.

• Ed says:

Also might of note to some that You First is not operating 24/7 at the moment, seemingly due to the covid situation in India. Which is obviously understandable, however there is no reference to this when you call up, you are instead left on hold with no music. I ended up wasting quite some time last night.

• Dan says:

They were doing site maintenance from 23:30 to 05:00 and those timelines have not gone entirely to plan…

• Travel Strong says:

Oh dear, still down at midday … and they’ve even lost their logo from the closure page now, it was there last night!

• Andrew says:

App is working so probably just a website error they are trying to fix.

• WaynedP says:

Main BA app alright, but BA Rewards app has warning msg
      “We’re conducting essential maintenance on today (sic), which may impact your experince of the app.”

Impact for me is no access to the app at all currently.

• Craig says:

Thanks for the nudge on IHG Spire 25k bonus point. I re-qualified normally last year and already had the points, kept checking and they appeared again last night.

• Scallder says:

Thanks for this Craig – bonus 50k between my wife and I!

• Colin says:

Looking at covering all possible real spends on my new A ex Business card. Can I check the £50 Dell offer. Is the £50 min spend based on full price as charged to card (inc vat , post) .

If the order gets split by them does the combined total still work ?

Thanks

• Jonathan says:

Anyone who’s got or had the Beardy Plus card, please say below when the annual fee has hit your account.

My account started on 26 Sept, I’m hoping that I can keep it open until the start of September this year for a few days to make some charges, pay off the credit card then cancel it.
    I’ve heard however that Beardy Plus can be very random when they apply the annual fee for the next year and won’t budge if you don’t want the card for the next subsequent year, you’ve got the annual fee and you’re not getting it back

• Joe says:

I have to say my experience from last year was the opposite. Accidentally let it lapse and charge again – messaged them and they cancelled it and refunded the fee. I know others have had problems – maybe I got lucky!

• WaynedP says:

@Jonathan

My renewal fee posted 28 Feb this year for a VAR+ CC that originally commenced on a 26 Feb

• Jonathan says:

Thanks for the help so far everyone, I remember reading an article that Rob made about someone who had take heavy action against VM due to them charging the annual fee then refusing to refund it.
      Plus the annoying part about using the card near its anniversary date if you’re not going to renew is having to check your account on a daily basis to make sure the charge hasn’t hit