Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 5th May

Comments (228)

• The Urbanite says:

It’s a good card to have in the portfolio if you spend a lot.

• Nicholas Martin says:

Has anybody else had an issue with IHGs £10k spend countdown? My limits reset recently and initially the correct amounts seemed to be reflected in the amount showing in the app – but it is now saying that I still need to spend another £10k to receive the voucher… implying I haven’t spent anything yet this month (IHG points are looking correct though). It is not a problem at the moment, but I will have some sizeable spending to put through shortly and want to ensure it counts! I had a small refund come through at the beginning of the new statement and want to make sure this hasn’t caused an issue

• Blair says:

Yep it’s shambolic at present re tracking progress towards the £10k spend

• 747_Brat says:

Thanks everyone. I seem to recall that £3 monthly fee is waived off for 123 current account customers. Is this still the case?

• Genghis says:

I got first 6 months free but not advertised anywhere. Perhaps a relic coding in the IT system.

• Steve says:

I don’t believe that is the case.

• Paul says:

Has anyone ever had success taking an airline through MCOL after the airline refuses to rebook passenger on a future flight at the passengers convenience?

I read so many comments where people have been advised to take airline to MCOL (maybe over 100 comments?!?!) but never once read an account of what actually happened? I’m guessing this is because people generally give up before MCOL as they can’t be bothered.

I sent a ‘letter before action’ to BA legal, where they still maintained same stance as before, and I am now pursuing through MCOL as I understand it is an open and shut case.

I will let you know outcome but just wondered if anyone has had successful outcomes.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

I think many people who win MCOL get an out of court offer before the date accompanied with a nice gagging order

• YC says:

Is there any referral bonus for either party (Virgin cards)?

• 747_Brat says:

I paid off the creatives well before my statement date to keep my credit utilisation low. But they have still reported the complete card turnover in the last month, without accounting for the payments, to the credit rating agencies.

I find it weird that they did not report the statement balance to the credit rating agencies, which others including Amex does. Just curious if others are having similar issues with the creatives?

• Genghis says:

Does Creation report at statement date or at a set date in the month? Different providers do things differently.

• Connor says:

Most of my cards report a few days before the statement date. I tend to do most of my “spending” after I see it’s updated.

• the_real_a says:

The agency reporting date is not your statement date. You need to find out from the financial institution what snapshot date your info gets shared. Its sometimes tranched, so a batch of customers within a financial institution may report at a different date to another tranche.

• HighGrade says:

Amex report statement balance. Creation report balance as at particular date, mine is usually end of month. Virgin and HSBC also report based on date.

• Optimus Prime says:

India’s G7 delegates isolate after two test positive for Covid.

Wow, totally unexpected.

• Harry says:

Last month I opened a BA Premium Amex account. I have no ‘offers’ showing on the account and after ringing Amex I’ve been told this is normal and some customers are not targeted for any offers. Can anyone with a BA amex share if this is indeed the case?

• Pete M says:

Yup… Amex offers are a world to themselves! Making as much regular spend on the card as possible is most likely to lead to offers appearing, but not a guarantee.