Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 5th May

Comments (228)

• YC says:

Any compensation due if current account switch is delayed?

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Appears that the bank you are switching too has to make sure any charges are refunded. Down to the bank to decide if they compensate you above the refunds

• MM says:

I called Amex Bus Platinum trying to get reduction in the Membership Fee. The only offer they could make was double MR points on spend for next 6 months. I asked to raise this as a complaint and was promised a call by a manager. Have not had this call yet

• Youllnever says:

What’s the basis for complaint?

• MM says:

Not a formal “Complaint” I guess as I have no reason for that. Should have said “escalation” to a manager hoping to get a different answer.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Say you don’t know how much willl go through the card in the next few months so a lump sum of points to offset your card fee would be better, you don’t actually have to use them for that but it may work

• MM says:

That is the best hope a chunk of points! somewhere said on the May 4th chat thread that they got 35000 points and £175 off shopping. that is a good deal. I have no leverage as I wont cancel the card even though I implied that!

• IanM says:

The £175 is a standard credit for all card holders. Don’t get greedy.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Thing is you don’t really need leverage, just say it isn’t working for you and you are considering cancelling

This is coming from the person that has had 3 retention offers on a gold card in the last year and virtually zero intent on cancelling…

• Genghis says:

But like someone posted yesterday, they had threatened to cancel three times, didn’t, and continue to get no offers.

• TGLoyalty says:

I phoned yesterday with every intention of cancelling my personal gold card and was offered 20k to stay.

Which duly posted today. I’ll see how I feel about it in a few days

• Rob says:

You’ll feel very happy tomorrow 🙂

• Genghis says:

I wonder how much retention these retention offers are actually driving given there’s little incentive to stay once you’ve got your reward.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

@rob you can’t tease us like this! Any clues?

• r* says:

I called about cancelling gold amex and was only offered 5k points with a 1k spend, was pretty disappointed considering its not even in the free year anymore.

Has anyone had any retention offers for the non-business plat recently if they already had retention points the first time round last year?

• Geoff says:

Switch of subject. Am trying to book 2 x Club return to tenerife in March next year and the avios required is 97,000. Seatspy / Rewardfllightfinder suggest it should be only 68,000 off peak. I tried another destination (e.g. RAK) and got the same. MIA came up just fine.
    Am I doing something wrong? Thank you

• Sean says:

what Taxes with the 97000 avios as they tend to give the option of different avios and cash amounts – e.g. more avios and less cash.

• Geoff says:

Ah thanks. It was £2. Other options were there but nothing equal to the ‘base’ avios
        Thanks for replying

• Rhys says:

Are you making sure you select the right (Reward Flight Saver) Avios option? BA will now show you the lowest cash option by default, which is generally poorer value.

• Geoff says:

Ok thanks Rhys will check that

• Geoff says:

Sorry that didn’t work – I chose flights with the ticket flash against them and there is no change to the Avios price

• Genghis says:

Do you remain eligible for RFS? Ie earned an avios in last year?

• Geoff says:

Yes i did. Plenty of BA Amex spend with credited miles. Also logged out and tried with my wife’s Ba account and had the same result.

• AJA says:

Hi Geoff

I think there has been a slight devaluation. I managed to find off-peak flights outbound 4 Mar 2022 inbound 19 Mar 2022 and get the initial 97k Avios +£2

Below this there is a button saying “More pricing options You can select when paying”

When you click this the following come up:

94000 Avios + £ 18.00
          77000 Avios + £ 70.00
          71000 Avios + £ 100.00
          53000 Avios + £ 190.00
          39000 Avios + £ 282.00

The normal Club RFS price would be taxes of £100 (2×£50) where the Avios is now 71,000 instead of 68,000.

• Geoff says:

Hi and thanks for the reply. I have come to the same conclusion. Be useful to have it confirmed

• Paul says:

Back in February, Virgin said that Silver tier members would get two Clubhouse passes. Just wondering if that had happened and anyone received them as I haven’t had anything and wondered if I’d been missed.

• Rob says:

Passes will go out when a date is confirmed for VS to move back to T3.

• r* says:

Was joining virgin money via a new virgin red sign up supposed to trigger the 500 points offer? I contacted virgin red twitter and was told that you dont get the 500 points from the virgin money sign up?

• PJJ says:

I think you will find the 500 bonus points for your first purchase via the Virgin Red App

• Harry T says:

Has anyone paid into iWeb with Bendy and Beardy? Does Beardy charge and interest or cash advance fees?

• Aston100 says:

Possibly a dumb question:
    Player 1 has a Plat and Player 2 has a supp for that Plat.
    Both Players have signed up for the travel / hotel benefits.

Player 2 has just received their own Plat.
    I presume there is no need to signup for any of those benefits again right?
    Not even to extend the validity of the hotel schemes?

• pauldb says:

I’ve had a call to suggest I’m being turfed out of my HIX in Kent, booked for the Open Golf. Apparently hotel being taken over for a golfers bubble. Suggested they may offer a co-owned BW in Folkestone.

Any experience of how this is best handled? Prices are higher now of course: would IHG move me to an HI (3x the points)?

• Lady London says:

Are bubbles still needed for the date? Either way you’re being bounced because they can sell the room for more. Whether as a lucrative group booking or as an individual room.

My first position would be to call them on it- ie say no I booked and want it honoured on the terms booked (plus, challenge their pathetic bubble excuse directly if bubbles are not needed by then).

I’d drag it out, knowing what incentive I’d want to agree to move voluntarily eg a slug of points, free meals and drinks, 1/3rd of the nights free, etc. Presumably travelling to the event from another hotel costs more, takes more time and harder to park. I’d not rely on the HI hotel’s points accrual being higher I’d want a points chunk credited agreed in writing. Any promises of upgrades can disappear especially on event days too.

So it’s skulduggery and they would need to pay.

• meta says:

I drove down my rate at Pulitzer Amsterdam from £400 a night to £80 a night last summer when Kimpton was closed and they tried to ditch me a week before plus free breakfast and 20% off F&B. Plus guaranteed suite upgrade at Kimpton on next visit to Amsterdam. I had to threaten them with negative reviews and actually contacted their press office who seemed uninterested and only offered me assistance with reservation at their sister property Pulitzer (at public rate!) or other IHG hotel also public rate like I can’t reserve the hotel myself.

They were also posting photos on Instagram like the hotel was still open. Then I wrote a negative comment under a photo and within an hour or two, I got an email offering me the above.

• meta says:

Oh and don’t expect a response from IHG CS. They never responded to my complaint.

• ChrisC says:

The players may not need to remain bubbled for being in England but they may need to be bubbled for where they go for future tournaments so better to keep them together

• BP says:

There’s a way to pull the “walk policy” for IHG hotels if you are technically savvy Let me know the name of your hotel and I’ll get the walk policy.

• pauldb says:

HIX Canterbury. Thanks for the thoughts. It is possible that foreign players may be guided to “bubble”. I’m not really trying to milk it, just get a reasonable outcome.

• BP says: