Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 8th May

Comments (212)

• Jenny says:

Virgin have changed a booked flight by a full 24 hours, am I entitled to a full refund if I dont want the schedule change date?

• Jenny says:

They also informed me 13 days 3 hours before my flight departs (havent flown any segments yet)

• James says:

Yes. They have cancelled the flight so full refund or a change to dates of your choice

1. Receive a refund
      You can get your money back for all parts of the ticket you haven’t used. For instance, if you have booked a return flight and the outbound leg is cancelled, you can get the full cost of the return ticket back from your airline.
      If you are a transfer passenger and you have already completed part of your journey, you are also entitled to a flight back to your original departure point when your connecting flight is cancelled and you decide not to continue your journey.

2. Choose an alternative flight
      If you still want to travel, your airline must find you an alternative flight. It’s up to you whether to fly as soon as possible after the cancelled flight, or at a later date that suits you. Airlines often refer to this as being ‘rerouted’.
      Although most airlines will book you onto another of their flights to the same destination, if an alternative airline is flying there significantly sooner then you may have the right to be booked onto that flight instead. You can discuss this with your airline.

• Jenny says:

no sorry they did not cancel, but move me to the next day (24hr)

• Nick says:

Moving you to the next day’s flight is a cancellation.

• Secret Squirrel says:

What’s the timeframe on the latest Amex Platinum bonus to hit your account? Spend requirements hit two days ago, 20k bonus hit but not the 30k?

• Benilyn says:

I’ll let you know today, I should hit SUB on the tracker today let’s see what happens…

• Secret Squirrel says:

@Benilyn: was told by Amex CS I may have to wait up to three months for bonus to arrive on Plat. Then at 10am this morning my 30k turned up. Amex CS just say what ever they want when they cannot answer a Q I’m finding recently.

• QFFlyer says:

They quote the T&Cs, which is fine but is not usually what’s reflected in reality. They just do it to answer the question and make you go away.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Agree, but in the past I have found Amex CS agents excellent at resolving issues and offering advice etc. Just appears to me recently their CS standards are slipping.

• Toddy says:

Has anyone got any IHG hotel recommendations for Miami?

Just had a quick look and there are lots of options – IC, CP and numerous Kimptons (which all look good!).

I’ll be paying with points and am Spire Ambassador.

Thanks

• Eric the Half a Bee says:

We had a great time at the Z Ocean a couple of years ago. Upgraded to top floor suite with huge roof terrace (Spire). Location is fab too.

• Graeme says:

We as a family of 4 stayed at the IC Miami in 2019. I’m Spire, not Ambassador and was on a CC free night. We got upgraded to a higher floor and bat view along with early checkin (10am) and also got 2 free drinks vouchers.

I looked at Z also but was put off with some reviews with cleanliness and rundown reports. IC was spotless, kids use the pool but didnt have breakfast or dinner so can’t say much else. The free metro is right outside. Bus to beach is handy too.

• Andrew says:

Agree Z Ocean is probably the best – huge rooms. And there are private loungers with umbrellas on the beach for you (covered by the mandatory “resort fee”). If you don’t want to be in South Beach then the quieter Holiday Inn up the coast is fine too.

• Steve-B says:

We stayed at the IC in 2019 for a couple of nights on way to Caribbean. We booked two (interconnecting) rooms, one cash and one points. Both upgraded to the exec floor with lounge access. Nice rooms with large windows overlooking the bay. Ample food in the evening so we didn’t bother eating out. I was Spire AMB at the time. Nice hotel but probably wouldn’t want to stay for more than a few days. Z has a better location unless you particularly want to be in downtown.

• Kevin D says:

Hi guys. The wife has just hit her £4000 spend and received 30,000 MR points on her new Amex Platinum, held for 2 months. She now plans to cancel the card, but a Transaction of £400 2 weeks ago may be refunded (returned product, wrong size, company ok with refunds). What happens then if her spend is then only £3600. Do they take the 30,000 MR points back? What if she transfers them to Avios now?

• Jimbob says:

They’ll take the points back, if you have transferred them to Avios in the meantime, then you will have a negative MR balance

• Chris says:

YMMV but I thought Amex only withdrew the bonus if the transaction that got you over the bonus threshold was refunded?
      In any case, to be safer perhaps go buy £400 of vouchers for a store you regularly use.

• Sarah says:

Does anyone have an alternative phone number for BA? I’ve been calling 0344 493 0787 and 01914907901 I’m trying to make a redemption booking on the useless website and it tells me to phone. When I phone it tells me call centre in India is closed and that they can’t take calls right now and to go online!

• Clive says:

You can try this one 442032500145

• Sarah says:

Thanks, I got same message saying can’t take call right now and to call back later.

• Sam G says:

08005977580 – I think it’s the bronze line but worth a go

• Paul Pogba says:

1. Is there any easy and cheap way of preventing Expedia points expiring?

2. Is there anyway of transferring your e-rewards account from say MileagePlus to Avios?

• AJA says:

1) The only way to stop Expedia points expiring is either earning more or spending some. Mine expired unfortunately but I only had about £20 worth as I earn and burn.
      2) You can’t change an e-rewards account to a different partner unless it is already available in your list of redemption partners. You could try signing up for a second e-rewards account with BA using a different email address. Be aware that is technically against the rules to have more than one e-rewards account so they could shut you down if they make the link.

• ChrisC says:

Thanks for the reminder re expedia. I had forgot about mine and just checked I have £58 worth (somehow they gave me the points for a stay they eventually refunded me for but I’m not arguing)

Easiest thing would be to earn something from a really cheap hotel or ‘thing to do’. There is a £4 self guided tour in London available for example. Could well be cheaper things elsewhere. Not sure if that would qualify for points though as I have a suspicion there is a minimum spend. Do a dummy booking and check.

How many points are involved?

• ChrisC says:

Ignore that – no minimum spend involved.

Might buy a tour of Brighton* for £3.86 to earn 6 points and protect by £58.

*other fine destinations are available but I live here!

• Lady London says:

🙂

• Brighton Belle says:

Tour of Brighton sights won’t take long😵‍💫

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Depends what day of the week, Friday and Saturday it’ll take a long time! 😉

• Keely says:

Morning is there an easy way to see when the fee is due on my BA black Amex . I upgraded from blue so the 241 counter isn’t relevant.
    Also anyone have airtime rewards promo code?

• Travel Strong says:

And then use promo code MAYBONUS for an extra £2 on first tracked spend of more than £5. (This is open to everyone today)

• AJA says:

The fee should be 12 months after you first upgraded to BAPP. You can tell when you upgraded as you should have started to get 1.5 Avios on your spending.