Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 10th May

Comments (363)

• Martyn Ford says:

Good morning. Does anyone know of a cheap and cheerful hotel in close proximity to the Conrad Algarve please? I need a room for a few hours. Thank you.

• Louise K says:

Could try Monte da Quinta suites or the Magnolia Hotel or even Dona Filipe. Nothing that cheap up that end though.

• BJ says:

Many HfP readers up with the lark this morning 🙂

• Genghis says:

🙂 I thought there was actually some breaking news…

• Andrew says:

£50 off a stay at a Hilton is all it takes these days to get us going.

• John says:

I wonder what the point of the offer is this time. I would have thought people are going to be booking even with higher than usual rates so Amex is basically giving Hilton hotels an extra £50 per card

• Andrew says:

Same reason as any other marketing or promotions – Hilton want you to spend your money with them rather than another chain and an incentive like this will do that. And it’s Hilton that fund the offers not Amex.

• TGLoyalty says:

Massive mid conception that people are out there booking multiple trips

Hotels are still deciding they don’t have enough business from May 17th so putting back their opening dates by months!

• meta says:

Massive bookings for Portugal maybe, but everywhere else surely not. Portugal isn’t even on the offer list…

• The cyclist says:

Four and five in the morning? ( and yes, I know some are overseas) but their are posters to whom this site is their whole lives.

• Alex says:

Update to the expired DragonPass membership saga – I e-mailed them last week on the back of the customer service reply I initially got stating my case was under review (CS had indicated membership would be extended by a year from Jan 2021 back in June 2020). 2 weeks later, my query is still under review…

• hlav says:

Hi – we have some reward flights booked on BA to Los Angeles at the end of May – just wondering whether I should cancel now and pay the £35 fee or wait longer to see if they get cancelled? I think you can cancel up to 24 hrs before is that correct? Has anyone else had flights cancelled recently and/or how much notice did BA give you ? Thanks

• Louise K says:

If your booked on the 16:10 BA269 that is a daily flight that always runs. It’s the earlier flight that gets cancelled.

• hlav says:

Great – really helpful thank you – yes it’s that flight so I will go ahead and cancel

• Ian M says:

Morning everyone.

Question about booking a Hilton Redemption for friends..

I wanted to book a redemption for 2 friends who are a couple. When making the booking it seems impossible to remove yourself as the guest, so I selected 3 adults for the booking of 1 room. I then clicked add guest name and added the name of one of the couple (there was only room to add 1 guest name). We therefore had a booking for 3 adults with me as guest 1 and 1 of my friend’s names as guest 2.

I picked them up from the airport yesterday and drove them to the hotel. I thought I would go in with them to check-in just to make sure everything went smoothly. The hotel reception manager said that I could not book the room for them unless I was also staying at the hotel. He said that I must stay at the hotel and be checked in. I explained that my friends name was on the booking and I had booked it for them. I offered to use my credit card for any extras. He insisted that If I am not staying at the hotel then the booking is void. I asked what would have had happened if I had not been there myself, he said that the guests would not have been able to check in. He said this is Hilton policy.

I’ve booked rooms with points for friends before and not even been in the same country. Have Hilton changed their policy?

What is the correct way to make a redemption booking for friends?

• Brian W says:

He’s right by the letter of Hilton rules unfortunately, the member needs to stay. Many hotels aren’t bothered but looks like you’ve got a stickler for the rules. I normally just get someone who is staying to say they are me.

• Ian M says:

Just seen this on the Hilton T&Cs..

“The Reward may be issued to the Hilton Honors Member, or to any other person, as directed by the Member. Once issued, the Reward is not transferable and may be used only by the individual named on the Reward. If a person other than the individual named on the Reward documentation attempts to redeem the Reward, the Reward will be deemed void and accommodations and/or transportation will be denied.”

So in this case, the reward was issued to me, with my friend as a named guest. How do you issue a reward to someone else? There appears to be no way to do this online. Can it be done over the phone?

• Genghis says:

Call them. Same with IHG. Both permitted per the rules this way.

• SwissJim says:

Genghis, if you do this does the hotel honour the tier status of the person whose points are being redeemed? So I’m Diamond, I book for a friend. They pretend to be me, lounge access. We do it via call centre, then what….?

• Rob says:

You’re not meant to do it. It’s a grey area. The way around it is to book for 2 people and put one of the others down as 2nd guest with a note saying ‘2nd guest will check-in first’.

Over the years I have had issues doing this but never been thrown out. I think Rhys came closest when he stayed at Courtyard Luton on a night booked off my Marriott account.

• Tarmohamed says:

get the main member to add you as a named guest, then you check in “before” the member if that makes sense.

• mark says:

It’s difficult, the only way is to give the guests that check in your credit card and one of them has to pretend to be you on the booking.
      In the Uk its possible for Uk residents as they don’t ask for anymore ID but if you were trying to book a redemption abroad it can be a lot more tricky

• Ian M says:

Yeah, passport is required at this hotel, so that wouldn’t work. But under Hilton’s T&Cs a reward booking can be issued to anyone.

• TGLoyalty says:

Seems you’ve massively over complicated this.

You could have checked in for 2 on behalf of your friends then picked them up and given them the keys to stroll into their hotel room. Or checked in with 1 of your friends then just had the other walk up to the room later.

• Ian M says:

Unfortunately that’s not possible here because the hotel has to register their place of stay as a visa requirement

• Genghis says:

Belarus? I thought it was a free country?

• Gruntfuttock says:

Bit like how do you get a fox, a rabbit and a lettuce across a river 🤔

• John says:

You call the US call centre and they make a redemption booking from your account for a different name. You cannot do this online, it is different from adding another named guest (which is what the non-US call centres will do, and as you know you can do this yourself online anyway).

Additionally if you have Hilton status, the hotel will see the guest as having that status – as it will be on your Honors number – so they need to be aware and not get confused when they are greeted as a Diamond.

Done this many times. Only problem being that if I made the booking from a non-status account for myself, some hotels would refuse to use my status.

Anyway – as you can now transfer Hilton points to anybody for free, this is no longer a problem, just make a new account with their name and give them the points. Only reason to do it the way I described is if you want the guests to have your status for that stay.

• Ian M says:

Hey, thanks. Yes I have Diamond, my friend is Gold. Wanted to make the booking myself as I thought their chances of a nice upgrade were higher. But in future I’ll call the US call centre and do as you’ve explained above, thanks for your help

• John says:

Good luck, you need to get the right agent – I’ve had to HUACA several times when trying

By US call centre I meant that the only agents who have done this for me are agents with an American accent. Sometimes I was connected to supposedly US-based agents but they seemed to be actually in a Spanish-speaking country and they didn’t know how to do it

• Brian W says:

Does anyone know if BAPP 241’s that are generated currently are getting an automatic extension? I had it in my head there was an extension if triggered before the end of June but I’m doubting my memory now and can’t find an article on HFP which I where I thought I’d read it. Any help appreciated.

• egold says:

how long do MR usually take to transfer to Iberia?

• BA-Flyer says:

Have BA changed the rebooking options for cancelled flights? Previously I could select any available flight, even if it was more expensive than my original ticket. Now I only get offered the cheapest flight, even if (more expensive) flights are available.

• TGLoyalty says:

No you can book any flight over phone regardless of price.