Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 10th May

Comments (363)

• TonyT says:

Thanks @rhys I’m now on 1 hr 10 mins on an issue I can’t do online. Really poor,. BA Business continuity planning nil!

• Richie says:

An article regarding mid-summer leisure trips within the common travel area could be a good read.

• James says:

The common travel area is the whole world as of 17th May.

Could you be more specific?

• YH says:

The Common Travel Area has nothing to do with the pandemic. From the gov website:

The Common Travel Area (CTA) is a long-standing arrangement between the UK, the Crown Dependencies (Bailiwick of Jersey, Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man) and Ireland that pre-dates both British and Irish membership of the EU and is not dependent on it.

Under the CTA, British and Irish citizens can move freely and reside in either jurisdiction and enjoy associated rights and privileges, including the right to work, study and vote in certain elections, as well as to access social welfare benefits and health services.

• James says:

Sure – I get it now & thanks for clarification – but would be a very boring article.

• Richie says:

Happy for you to be bored. Are you flying to CTA, would that be more exciting?

• planeconcorde says:

It may be boring to some. But the rules are changing all the time an update on the travel situation to Jersey may be useful to others. As this afternoon, Jersey has just announced some changes to their inbound arrivals and COVID testing requirements. Which apply from 28th May 2021. So anybody thinking of visiting Jersey and is fully vaccinated should review the latest changes.
            From 28th May the key changes are:
            1) England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Crown Dependencies will be classified as single national regions. Based on current data will all be classified as green. (Before 28th May regions are smaller by council area / local authority.)
            2) Arrivals from green areas will require a COVID test taken on arrival (day 0) and again on day 8 if still in the island. (Before 28th May tests on day 0, day 5 and day 10). COVID tests still paid by Jersey government, not the traveller. Still need to self-isolate until day 0 test result is known.
            3) New “green light” category for fully vaccinated passengers arriving from a green or amber area in the UK will have reduced testing and isolation requirements. Fully vaccinated arriving passengers will still be required to have a Day 0 PCR test but will not need to self-isolate until that test result is known.
            4) International Arrivals from outside of Common Travel Area (CTA) will align its colour classification as closely as possible to the UK Joint Biosecurity Centre traffic light system.
            (Before 28th May all non-CTA plus Ireland is classified as Jersey red.)
            The announcements are at:
            Before 28th May rules are covered at:

• Tariq says:

I’d be interested in this too. Plenty of ideas in the comments – e.g. the NI posts yesterday.

• YH says:

I’ve got a month off work coming up. Am I correct in saying that if I wanted to visit somewhere currently on the red list (say DXB), and returned to the UK by spending 2 weeks in a green list country then I could return to the UK without issue?

• James says:

sure

• GaryD says:

I’m leaving work in Dubai early June. Prior to arriving in the UK If I spend 5 days in Cairo then travel direct to Spain for 6 days before returning to UK will this be home isolation as both stopovers are Amber ? Not sure if you can split the amber countries !

• Richie says:

is a brand of deodorant. Plenty of outlets where you can pay by card and earn points.

• Alex says:

yes – provided you spend 10 days in a green country prior to your return you’d be fine. Only if you still test negative of course!

• Rob says:

• Alex says:

If of interest to anyone or help if you have similar dates.

BA 173 LHR-JFK on 8th June has been cancelled. Moved to BA179 – same day but 5hrs later.

Very happy personally as it was booked in 50% avios and i have moved to a better date in 2022 online. Happy days!

• Harry T says:

I wonder why some people are able to change dates online, but others aren’t?

• Optimus Prime says:

The customer rep told me that since I used voucher expiring this month, they won’t let me rebook for later.

Which is bullshit because before it was cancelled I checked and I could move it to November 2021

• Pauline says:

I think if you have a connecting flight it is not possible unfortunately

• Jody says:

That sounds really positive. I’m hoping to do the same, but need to wait 2 weeks for my inbound flight I want to change to to become available.

• Kevin says:

How to check the credit card exchange rate of the day before purchasing. Thinking to use curve blue to buy something when the rate is getting better.

• Mike says:

Im a UK citizen and I have a UK amex MR card. I want to convert my MR to Krisflyer so I’m considering opening an ICC card, as outlined in the December article https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/12/21/american-express-international-euro-dollar-platinum-card/

After opening the ICC card, how quickly can UK MR be transferred to the ICC account?

• Rob says:

As soon as it is open, but the transfer could take 7-10 days.

• GT says:

I have just been able to claim a full refund on a cancelled reward flight directly from within mmb. I thought I was going to have to call or fill in a form.

Is this new or did I miss the introduction of this common sense at last.

(Avios are back in my account already)

• Alan S says:

About time I signed up for Airtime Rewards, if someone wants to share their referral?