Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 10th May

Comments (363)

• George K says:

Hypothetically, if you lived in the UK and not yet had the vaccine (not eligible yet), but had a chance to get vaccinated in a EU country which you were also a citizen of (so therefore eligible and appointments available) would you do it?

Trying to think a bit further in the future, where a vaccination certificate from the EU (as opposed to the UK) might make things a bit easier at the border(s).

Obviously this is crystal ball territory, but trying to weigh the positives/negatives.

• Kevin says:

I’ve had my first dose in the U.K. but am currently in Malta and have residency. I’ve been given an appointment here for a second Astra Zeneca jab. Have phoned and been told it’s ok. My plan is to get them to stamp my international vaccination card and then revisit my own GP when I eventually recto the U.K.

• Lady London says:

It will all sort itself
      out in the end. Dont forget the US is also still refusing to play ball. so acceptances worldwide are going to tolerate variations in proof even if that’s a bad thing.

You might even catch it on the trip as well! plus you’d need 2 trips if not Johnson&Johnson aka Janssen.

• Tracey says:

“Plus you need 2 trips” isn’t strictly true. If you arrive in England having had one vaccine, you will be eligible to have the second vaccine within 12 weeks here. You need to register with a GP locally if you don’t already have one. I assume the devolved nations would do the same.

• Andrew says:

Hilton Amex offer – the Curio at 100 Queen’s Gate, which Rob recommends, is listed on the included locations under its old brand of DoubleTree Kensington. Is the offer likely to trigger despite the change in merchant name?

• Matthew says:

I was wondering if new hotels would trigger too as the list is out of date. I’m looking at staying at the new Curio in Cambridge end of July but it’s not on the list. Anyone had it trigger at a UK Hilton branded hotel not listed?

• Rob says:

No, it doesn’t work. Amex has the merchant ID codes for these specific hotels and no others.

• Rob says:

No – DoubleTree Kensington is the old Crowne Plaza Kensington, rebranding as we speak.

• Andrew says:

But the address on the Hilton merchant list for the offer for DT Kensington is 100 Queen’s Gate (which is the address of the Curio, by that name) which made me think it might still work.

• Ana Silva says:

What about the Garden Inn Snowdonia?

• PK says:

I have a flight booking to India for December with Virgin Atlantic, if it is in Red list in December would the return leg be cancelled by VA because passengers are not allowed from a red list country directly(Not sure what’s going on ).

• Harry T says:

There are no guarantees that flights will be cancelled, as the airlines often fly to earn money moving cargo around. But December is a long way from now, so be patient and see what happens!

• Blindman says:

VS schedule as of now:

LHR-DEL
      1 flight on 17 May

DEL-LHR
      1-18 May, 3 per week
      19-31 May, 2 per week

• PK says:

Thanks for your responses.

• Harry T says:

Anyone had much success getting Vueling to reschedule cancelled flights for free, as per EC261? They don’t seem to reply to Twitter messages and they have no live chat function. Email addresses not provided. I’d rather not ring them if they are just going to fob me off.

• Gtellez says:

Good luck with Vueling, many issues last Christmas with them; they cancelled a flight and moved my reservation to two days later. I wanted a refund and took me many many emails to get it (they just wanted to give me a voucher or move the flight up to a month, but there wasn’t any other Manchester-Barcelona flights during that month…). Worst CS ever; I won’t book again with them, prefer multiple stops and pay double.

• Gothbe says:

Further to the Business Amex spend £10k get 100,000 points offer. I was referred to the card which was supposed to be 105,000 points but only 100,000 were added. Has anyone else had this problem and able to get it resolved, eg online chat?

• Rob says:

Will need to chase. For some reason, refer a friend on the Business cards is hugely unreliable.

• Anuj says:

How long does it take to get the referral points once my friends application is approved ? I was under the impression it’s supposed to be straight away but haven’t received them

• James says:

My flight to Tokyo on the 15th May was cancelled by BA, do i have to contact Ba to rebook my flight before the 15th? Or is it ok to do it when i know about the date i prefer for sure later?

• Louise K says:

I am just about to cancel a 241 booking for next Easter and will rebook for a later return date (BA won’t just change the return because of ticket validity)

So if I cancel and take the voucher, do I need to ring to rebook or can I do online?