Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 14th May

Comments (355)

• James says:

Would 1 vaccine deem me as vaccinated for entry into a country that stipulates it? Or does it have to be the 2?

• bafan says:

Both of course. “Fully vaccinated” means just that.

• meta says:

Unless you got Johnson&Johnson and in some countries they are only giving one dose of any vaccine if you had covid in the last six months.

• Harry T says:

That will entirely depend on the country and the situation at your time of travel. I wouldn’t favour your odds if you’ve only had one shot of a vaccine that requires two jabs.

• Aston100 says:

I can see a Van Gogh experience available on my Plat.
    It seems to be exactly the same price as booking direct.
    Are there any benefits of going through Amex? t&cs don’t seem to suggest anything special.

• Anna says:

I would think a Van Gogh experience could be quite alarming! Would it count for the Amex travel offer?

• Aston100 says:

These Amex Platinum retention offers seem overly generous.
    Player 2 had their card for about 5 weeks and spent almost nothing.
    Was given 35k not to cancel. No strings attached.
    I can see lots of people on here are getting 35k or 50k not to cancel.

What are Amex hoping to achieve from this, given that Player 2 and others are free to actually cancel for real as soon as those points hit the account.

• gareth says:

Out if interest did player two have to ring for this or live chat? My player 2 is resentful toward the phone call.

• Anna says:

Same here. Even when I point out that 50k points equates to a seat in CW!

• David says:

I phoned and got 50k.

• David says:

You’ve only just taken out the card haven’t you Anna? Seems a bit early to try to cancel and get points.

• Aston100 says:

Player 2 is a very reluctant player.
        For instance, gets very annoyed when given a different card to use.
        Fortunately, player 2 has uploaded a 3rd party authorisation form which allows Player 1 to do the talking (though its often more fun to pretend to be player 2 and then wait for the inevitable semi-subtle probing around voice not matching gender).

However, for cancellations, Amex insist on Player 2 making the request. This often leads to resentment and pushback from Player 2 who has to be prepped from the night before with special treatment and lots of goodies and kind words.

Now and again it comes as a surprise to Player 2 that they even had the card that they are being asked to cancel. This leads to even more resentment and disinclination to be a team player.

I may need to recruit a Player 3 at some point.

• Anna says:

I’m going to have to tell Player 2 he’ll have to relinquish his metal Amex at some point, or at least put it away until he needs to scrape ice off the windscreen again.

• Babyg says:

log on as player 2 in the app – use the web chat to cancel…

• James says:

‘Player 1 and 2’ seems to have become the new nausiating replacement of beardy, bendy and seagulls.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Always phone call.

• The cyclist says:

The Van Gogh experience, I’ve heard nothing…

• Super Secret Stuff says:

The algorithm favours some but not others…

• Dayle says:

Are these business or personal cards? I can’t get anything more than double points for 3 months…

Spent c. £11k on Biz card and got the 100,000 MR SUB – had the card 6-8 weeks…

• YL says:

I see lots of people on here are getting 35k or 50k not to cancel.

However, my annual fee has just hit the account. I have tried twice recently and was offered nothing apart from downgrade.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

You have to push past the downgrade offer with something like I’ve looked at all this, is there anything helpful you can do for me

• Jay says:

Anyone got experience of upgrading Amex Bus Gold to Bus Plat? If done, any bonus offered?

• Memesweeper says:

I asked, and was offered nothing, a few weeks ago. So didn’t upgrade. Used to spend a decent amount on business gold too, so not sure why. Now I spend next to nothing …

• George K says:

Our KLX-LHR flight has been scrapped with the next one available two days later. BA agent insisted it was not on the hook for the extra accommodation, or transport to airport. Did I just get a bad agent? I also have amex plat insurance on top…

• Matt says:

Bad agent/bad airline. They’re probably not on the hook for transport to the airport, as you’d have needed that anyway. They will need to pay your hotel bills and food and drink (excluding alcohol) though.

• George K says:

Thanks – it’s BA. They are so adamant even if you quote their own website at them. Will try again later… *sigh*

• r* says:

You dont need to get them to agree to pay for hotel etc on the phone. If they have moved your flight back, just book the hotel, buy the food, keep the receipts for everything and then submit the claim to them after.

• James Pleasant says:

Yep just bad agent – though probably doing exactly as instructed by bosses. For reference see my latest email from Ryanair (cancelled flight), who say the right things on paper but in actual fact you need to rebook yourself on another airline (if more convenient) and claim back the various expenses later:
          [Alternatively, you may contact our Customer Care Team (subject to opening hours) or go to the airport ticket desk, in order to exercise your standard right to re-routing to your destination, under comparable transport conditions, either at the earliest opportunity or at a later date at your convenience subject to seats being available. Our Customer Care Team can also assist if you require other re-routing options, such as earlier re-routing on an alternative airline, train, bus or car hire.
          If you avail of re-routing at the earliest opportunity, you will be entitled to (and where applicable provided with) reasonable meals and refreshments, hotel accommodation, transport between the airport and your place of accommodation (hotel or other) as well as transport to or from an alternative airport, as applicable.
          We’ll do our very best to provide care, however if reasonable care is not offered, even though it should have been, please keep all itemised receipts for reasonable expenses you may incur. You will need to submit these to Ryanair to claim back your expenses.]

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Been a busy week for SSS HQ!

Have I missed anything interesting?!

• Alex says:

70k platinum bonus

• Ryan says:

Who’s had 70k bonus?!

• meta says:

It’s the new offer for taking out a card if you’re referred. It appeared on some accounts.

• TGLoyalty says:

Great when the limited time over on the 12th May 50k offer is replaced by a limited time (no end date) offer for 70k

• meta says:

Obviously they didn’t get enough sign ups they hoped for so they upped the bonus.

• TGLoyalty says:

What are they expecting when most players have to wait 2 years ..

• YH says:

I’ve just booked two rooms for four guests (including myself) at a DoubleTree hotel as a Diamond member. Would all four guests be eligible for the free breakfast?

• Travel Strong says:

Always been given it in that circumstance, but never noticed it written anywhere as guaranteed though.

• Memesweeper says:

Exactly my experience too. Pretty sure it should be goldie + 1 only…

• Anna says:

Yes, might depend on the hotel. If I’m booking 2 rooms I usually split them across mine and OH’s account as we’re both gold so that guarantees 4 breakfasts.

• Chris says:

Have made a very similar booking at doubletree docklands. Called them today to check and they said all would get the free breakfast.

• Richster says:

I like the DT Docklands, some funky rooms there and well served by the boat crossing and the bus 🙂

• Rob says:

Probably not if all are adults, but hotels often don’t enforce this sort of thing.

• Ossie R says:

RFS flight to Chania (CE) in June just cancelled by BA. Also have car hire booked using a BA voucher from last year for the same trip. Is there any advantage in a voucher for the flight over a straightforward refund of Avios? I assume I will be able to get the car hire voucher rolled over to the next trip – is that correct?

• Rob says:

Unless you have a 241 about to expire, ignore the FTV and take the component parts back.

Can’t help with the car …